Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best fly repellant  (Read 144 times)

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
Best fly repellant
« on: July 04, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »

Which brand works best?

Marilyn in MI
Bud 31, Kate 2 both MFTs
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Best fly repellant
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 06:56:51 pm »

We've had most success in recent years (since our vet recommended it) w/ Pyranha spray in yellow spray bottle.  In fact, we're SO happy w/ it that once a year I order a case (4 gallons) which w/ two horses lasts us all of a one year, and often well into second year, depending on how bad the flies are (which is pretty much dependent on how much rain we get). 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

summerskyy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:14:37 pm »

Have to agree with loneelk--Pyranha is the only thing that helps with the flies.
 Make sure it's the oil based one--they put out a water based one a few years ago, which didn't work as well.

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:11:04 am »

I use for trail riding sweat proof only.  Tri tec or  Endure - which are the same product.  I find all others do not work.  Around the farm I use Absorbine, Bug off.  I change it up.  I get from TSC. 

After trail riding I always hose off the horse very well.  So there is no overlapping off too much fly spray. 

O

Cashela

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:53:44 am »

Pyranha, I love that stuff.  I recently saw a post on FB about Equiderma and how great it was so I bought some.  Not impressed at all.  Cricket had a medical issue the other night and I sprayed her with it so the vet could work on her and as the mosquitos came out it was apparent that Equiderma doesn't work for them.  She was literally covered in mosquitos.  It was horrifying.
Jenn-New Hampshire

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:16:34 am »

Farnam Endure is  one of my favorites. I chose it based on a study I read that rated it as most effective in a test of 5 of the top brands.  I also like Marigold spray by Eqyss. I think the endure works better but I have also had success with a concentrate I purchased from the co-op that I diluted with water in my gallon pump sprayer.

I like to purchase by the gallon (or dilute a concentrate) and transfer it to a pump sprayer like you would spray weeds with.   My hands are slightly arthritic and it really helps not to have to squeeze that handle on a bottle sprayer. .....so whichever you use, I recommend that those with hand issues transfer your liquid to a small pump-up 1 gallon weed sprayer.  The horses like it because it is quiet, and the hose and long tube that the spray nozzle is on makes it easy to reach all areas of the horse with little effort.

You guys are probably already doing this but in case you haven't thought of it I thought I would post it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:16:50 pm by Laurie »

kckc

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 02:10:10 pm »

I make my own... I buy (use) young living essential oils and so far this year my favorite to make is with Lemon Eucalyptus (add peppermint, lemongrass which I love and citronella)  - I make it in on the pump type sprayers mentioned by laurieā€¦ I hate regular spray bottles.   I mix with an oil carrier - I had been using skinsosoft but their original is made with mineral oil and I just didn't want a petroleum product entering my skin or theirs.  I sometimes add vinegar but not in the spring since gnats are attracted to vinegar.    I use topical drops every few weeks for my old guys since I don't see them everyday and the ones at my barn just stand in front of the fans.   I feed DE so I don't have many face flies but in the spring the big horse flies are awful - fans are the only thing besides traps that work for them.  ramble...ramble...
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 03:37:47 pm »

Phytanna is good and I mix it with permethrin and skin so soft. ( bought from Raylin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up