Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat  (Read 188 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Heat
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:49 am »

While it is hot here in southern New England, watching the weather channel is showing many of you are way beyond that in the middle of the country.  Everyone please stay safe.

The worst part of the heat here in the East is the humidity.
I am glad I am not showing this weekend.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Laurie

Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:12:09 am »

Yes, we are in a heat wave here in the south. Its been in the upper 90's for days and is expected to go higher. ....and we also have the dreaded humidity. My horse has plenty of shade and water and can get into his stall if he wants, but my poor grandson who is in high school is playing baseball this summer, sometimes two games a day is tournaments, and I don't see how they do it.  Its so hot that grandaddy and I can't bear to even sit in the stands to watch!

Keep safe all, and pray the air-conditioner doesn't break! 8) 8)

coolpapabill

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 06:22:04 am »

Been close to or over 100 everyday here in New Mexico , but we are very dry.
Single digit humidity. Also have of shade and fresh water ( two Ritchie automatic
waterers best addition for the horses we've ever made ). Have salt blocks out
all the time which are getting licked and chewed a bunch right now.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:52:26 am »

Humidity here will be between 53 and 79% over the next 24 hrs.  I am sure down south is even worse.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:45 am »

the humidity is awful.  I run a dehumidifier in my house because it helps the ac plus it also makes the house more livable.  It has a gauge on it that stops it at 55percent in the house... it still runs for hours to get to that.   my tiny house is shaded a good portion of the day so that helps me...but others... I do not know why people cut down all their shade ! 
NC

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »

Yeah, it's hot in TN.  Especially with the AC off.  The house got hit by lightning Thursday morning.  It fried the generator, AC, 2 TV's, and we're still finding a few things the don't work.  Worst of all, the lightning ran along the downspout, and we have copper tubing going up the wall right beside to feed propane to the stove and fireplace and grill.  It arced over and burned a hold in the tubing.  The repairman said that if it hadn't been raining so hard, which probably instantly doused the spark created, the the house could have caught fire or blown up at that end.  We still have a house fortunately.  Repairman was out yesterday to work on the AC again (replacing a control panel that costs about $1000) and it still doesn't work.  He has to order more parts and we may end up replacing the whole unit.  Probably be without AC until late next week. 

misstux

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 02:43:14 pm »

We have upper 90s today, but tomorrow back to mid 80s.  Low humidity.  That being said, there's a fire a few miles away.  It had been under control overnight, but flared up again this morning.

Laurie

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:37:34 am »

TN Trailrider ...when we moved to this house we were surprised to notice that it had lightning rods on both house and barn. After we had a couple of trees struck by lightning we were glad they were there!  I don't know if they work or not, but they make us feel better  :)

Lightening struck my mothers house in the city and blew out two tv's, her computer and a couple of phones.

Scary"............

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:12:00 am »

Right now in Coventry, RI it is 95 feels like 101.  By 4pm it will feel like about 105.  No rain in sight for at least a few more days.  We are already more than 2 inches down in rain levels since June 1st.

Again, please, everyone stay as safe as you can.

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 01:03:22 pm »

Laurie, we do not have lightning rods.  My husband thinks they tend to draw lightning to them.  Would have been good tough as it might have diverted the strike into the ground.  I think the gutter served as the lightning rod in this case.

Laurie

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 04:20:23 pm »

TN Trailrider --- yes I can understand why he thinks that...but the rods are attached to thick cables that run to the ground so hopefully the lightning follows the cable to the ground. Who knows :-\ :-\

MyBoyG

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 06:22:29 pm »

The heat index here in Connecticut has ranged from 105 - 120 the past several days....it's horrid! The added humidity makes it next to impossible to breathe. The more hubby talks about moving south to get away from snow, I talk about moving north to get out of the heat, lol. G has been living in front of a fan the past few days during the heat of the day, and the barnlord has been giving them all Electrolyte paste in the morning, since Saturday.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

oncidium

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 05:58:56 pm »

TN Trial Rider we have had horrible lightning drama too.  But yours takes the cake!  I do not mind storms ever, but when lightning is out I can get jumpy.  I have heard it zip by close to me and go boom, seen light and boom simultaneously.  Had damage over and over.  Hope things get fixed soon. 

I am so sick of the heat.  I have had heat exhaust a few times. 

We had built for my horse a super nice white oak (wood from TN actually) shelter, we have no trees in the pasture, plenty of water in the shade of the shelter.  I put a fan in her shelter and she of course loves it!  I also put two metered fly spray things from TSC in there and that helps so much!  Barn is to be built this month.  She can get out of the rain and heat if she chooses, and she chooses alot to go in her "hidey hole" as we call it.  She is not a fan of hail.  So off she goes to her "bolt hole".  Hidey and bolt both are the shelter.  The shelter has gravel on the floor so no mud.  Metal roof.  She has pink salt or white salt.

I am looking forward to fall, and winter.  Humidity is awful, heat is awful.  Single digit humidity, I can only imagine how wonderful that is. 

O

N. AL

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 06:37:47 am »

We were supposed to get heavy rain yesterday, that did not happen here in my  corner of RI.  However over the last 12 hrs the humidiy has gone it is beautiful here and will be again tomorrow then we are back in it.  Hope the nasty stuff is backing off in your neck of the woods.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 11:52:45 pm »

97 to  102, one day hit 104, day after day. We are down over 10 inches in rainfall over normal amount. Started early on extreme heat this year. Pasture is solo dried up, animals going thru hay like crazy. Hay going to be in short supply and expensive this year I bet. I WANNA go back to Idaho!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up