Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet Han Solo  (Read 353 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Meet Han Solo
« on: June 25, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »

So....even though Buster was not working very well, I as committed to him because of the scarcity of Curlies.  When I went looking, I only found 3 horses actually for sale that were good possibilities.  There are only about 5000 registered Curlies in the world, and about a third are in Europe.  Since Lindsay charges $500 per month for training, and I charge $125 each per month for her 4 horses, we were coming out even.  I figured I would keep Buster in full training until he was workable for Cadence, and just be very very careful.

Then the story changed.

I have a friend who just likes Curlies, she is not allergic.  I have discussed our need for one with her many times.  She has an 11 year old Curly that is her heart horse, and a 4 year old to replace him maybe someday.  She likes to have an extra.  Then she also managed to have a 4 year old QH, a 16 year oldQH retired and a mule.  And she has talked of selling those two.  Then for some inexplicable reason, she bought a 3 year old curly this spring.  She called Lindsay, the trainer at my barn, and asked if she would train him.  So he came to my place.  Within one week, I wanted him.  I told Linda I wanted him, but operated as though that was impossible.  Then, after he had been here another week, she called in tears.  Her older retired QH needed lots of vet work for an old injury.  If I wanted Han Solo, I could buy him so she had money for the vet.  I JUMPED on that.  So, Han Solo, a Curly with a stiff tight coat I hate, a bald face I dislike came to be mine.  The photo below is why I bought this 3 1/2 year old horse as a kids horse,
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Meet Han Solo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:32:39 pm »

His first ride out of the arena
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:40:22 pm »

And now for the best part.  HE IS GAITED!!!!  He has two curly foxtrotter grandparents, so I figured it was a 25% chance.  But yes indeed he is gaited.  I have watched him rack in the pasture, and last Saturday on a trail ride, he did both a fox walk and a foxtrot.  Gaited Curlies go for $6000-$12,000.  He was sold to Linda as a trotting Curly, so we both got a deal in price!
So, even though I have to sell a horse that is not working out, I got a way way better deal.  This will be Snicklefritz horse as she grows up.

This is one of his first rides, bareback in the arena.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:12:08 pm »

Very cool
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Kalli

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:20:57 pm »

So nice when things like this happen.  Congrats! 

I was just thinking this evening as I was gaiting up the road on Snuff, how wonderful it is that somehow my friend and I stumbled upon the absolute best match for me.  So glad you have found that best match for Cadence. 😊

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 05:52:26 am »

Pretty is as pretty does and this horse seems beautiful! Congrats, Kysa!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Walkin45

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:17 am »

Glad he worked out.

kckc

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:27 am »

OH that is wonderful !!  and gaited  !!  :-)
NC

misstux

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 08:22:01 am »

How wonderful is that?  I am looking forward to lots more posts and pictures

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:39:07 pm »

Well I also am not fond of baled faced horses but oh my this guy is BEAUTIFUL!!!!  I'm excited beyond words that he's gaited. I looked for myself years ago and I know it's near impossible to find one. I'm guessing you're saying a "thank you prayer" every night  ;).  How tall do you think he'll be? His personality looks absolutely perfect. I'm so happy for you and your granddaughter.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

riding the sun

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 02:09:02 pm »

Wow!  How perfect is that!  Congratulations on your new horse.  Looking forward to seeing him toting those kids around.  :)
My favorite trail is the next one

gaitedappylady

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:25 pm »

Amazing!!! So glad he's gaited on top of having the temperament that you need!! Awesome. I for one love his bald face. What a cutie.
Rita, N. Texas

Have you had a kindness shown?  Pass it on...

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 11:02:46 am »

50 days of training, 3 1/2 years old.

misstux

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

Love, love, love this picture!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 10:26:17 pm »

Wow, what a lucky break. Sounds great for Cadence.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up