Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reset your Routers!!!  (Read 139 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Reset your Routers!!!
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:28:21 am »

The FBI and other agencies are telling us ALL if you have routers either at work or at home to reset them IMMEDIATELY.
Apparently there is some really nasty Malware about destroying them.

I heard a bit about it yesterday and there is a posting on CNN.com that was put up a bit ago.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Laurie

Re: Reset your Routers!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:02:45 am »

OK....so you computer folks.....is it as simple as shutting down the router and restarting it? Or is that something that is more technical to do?

I use ATT for internet, smart tv and phone service....I think it is ATT U-verse. 

kckc

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:24:00 am »

i'm afraid to reset mine... I don't know the freaking password if I need it...
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:29:55 am »

To reset ours, we unplug the power in the back of the router and unplug the modem.  Wait 90 seconds and hook them up again.

That's all there is to it.
If you need help call your Internet provider I am sure they can help you out.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 12:00:12 pm »

I'd seen this, so I did some further googling on the topic.  What I found made a point of saying that "reset" and "reboot" aren't the same.  Unplugging the router from power source, wait 20 to 30 seconds, then plug in again is a "reboot", and that's what I read was the thing to do.  A "reset" is what we occasionally have to do when our router (occasionally) fails to load correctly or when one of our PC's fails to connect, and that is done by pushing a little tiny "reset" button on the back/bottom of our modem.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/technology/router-fbi-reboot-malware.html
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:35:38 pm »

Thanks Val! :D :D :D

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 06:05:09 pm »

Hmmmm, I use a Verizon Jet Pack, is that considered a router?  I turn it off every time I am done using the computer.  I only plug it in to recharge it.    I had a router when I used the phone company years ago, but internet reception was extremely iffy with that.
MJ

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:33:30 pm »

You should be fine.  You could always call them and ask.  I use a Jet Pack when I travel to shows.
A jet pack is not a router.

Also be careful with cell phones there is a fake app being put out that is supposed to protect your phone but is in reality Malware.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:47:50 pm »

I have a Verizon-provided Actiontec modem/wireless router. Any time I mess with a Verizon router, I end up in a drawn-out tech support call, trying to get online again. So I really hate the thought of pushing that little button if I don't need to. Does anyone know if what I have is susceptible?

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 04:56:19 am »

Everything on that system will be gone and your whole system will need to be replaced.
You can check everything on line.  It's being talked about everywhere.  Many systems have been destroyed.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 05:49:02 am »

I have a Verizon-provided Actiontec modem/wireless router. Any time I mess with a Verizon router, I end up in a drawn-out tech support call, trying to get online again. So I really hate the thought of pushing that little button if I don't need to. Does anyone know if what I have is susceptible?
According to what I read online (more than one source) it's not necessary to actually "reset", only to unplug your router, wait 20-30 seconds, then plug it back in and let it reboot. 
ETA  Over the years, we've lost PC's to virus attacks that were unfixable.  If rebooting router can save a system, I'm gonna do it.  Actually, I already did. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:17:24 am by loneelk »
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:06:50 am »

yep.  the system we use (cox) recommends 90 seconds.  But the big thing is to unplug.  They also recommend you change your password to the router system

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 06:26:13 am »

My router came with a long alpha-numeric password...like 20 characters. I tried to set my own password up once and it didn't work. Seriously, if I mess with the thing (other than disconnect, reconnect to power-cycle), it only works if there's a Verizon tech on the line, doing whatever they do from their end. Basically, Actiontec provides updates to Verizon and Verizon updates my equipment remotely.

A computer problem I'd dive right into, but I never get anywhere with the router without a tech support person doing whatever they do from their end. And this is old fashioned, outdated DSL, not FIOS. FIOS customers can troubleshoot and control their routers from the Verizon website and downloadable software, but they don't offer such support for their rural DSL customers.

Edited to add: I finally found info from Actiontec that the Verizon-provided routers are not susceptible.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:53:48 am by stablemind »

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 08:13:21 am »

"I finally found info from Actiontec that the Verizon-provided routers are not susceptible."

That's good to know!  Glad you were able to find that info!
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 04:15:16 am »

Woke up this morning to find that the State of RI computers have been hit with Malware.  Guess they didn't reboot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up