Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remember that scared, terrified woman years ago? Yeah, Me.  (Read 242 times)

melissah

Remember that woman who started riding late in life and was a basket case? I'm having more fun now than ever before. Here's my proudest moment yet, 10th time out with Jex....went further and up into our local mountains and cantered like there was no tomorrow. That horse is my best friend......I just shared on FB but I know many are not on Fb. The bond is amazing. I have never felt so close to a horse in my life. Like we really "get" each other. I enjoy when family does't feel like riding.....then I get my alone time. I think that created a huge trust and bond. Enjoy. I cut it down. I was only out 37 minutes but he was sweating and breathing hard after. I cooled him off legs first then he rest, squeegeed him off and he was back to normal. I am just living the life!

https://youtu.be/RDRF13Kozwg
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

luvmysmh

Re: Remember that scared, terrified woman years ago? Yeah, Me.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 12:46:56 pm »

Good for you!!  I know personally how hard it is to overcome fear, and I KNOW what an accomplishment that is.  Congratulations   ;D

kckc

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:56:38 pm »

You go Girl !!  :-)
NC

Kalli

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:57:46 pm »

Yippee!  So happy for you! 😊

Like you, I started riding later in life. I was that suburban kid who would make my dad pull over when we passed a field of horses so I could get out and watch them graze. My sis and I would sit on the wooden fence at our community park and pretend we were riding. I remember going to a picnic with my cousins, meeting some kids, and telling them we rode all the time- flat out lied to them! 😆

Anyway, there are some things I will never do, like galloping at breakneck speed across a field, but I’m ok with that. I have a gelding who is a great match for me. I do a little loping, some gaiting and plain walking during my rides. And I love every bit of it. Just to be on a horse and have him listen to my sloppy cues is still amazing to me. It never gets old. 

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:49:49 pm »

Yep...GOOD for you.  Glad you are enjoying your horse, and I hope you have many years ahead doing just that!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 07:49:23 pm »

Enjoy that horse!  Its so wonderful to have one you can alway depend on. That is sometimes hard to find.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:56 am »

Good for you, Melissa! Thanks to many years of GHS, we do know what a journey it's been for you to come to this point. Riding with friends is great, but my favorite thing is to ride out alone on Babe in the evening. 

melissah

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 11:48:15 am »

Thanks to all of you! I've always come here for support because this is the only place I can ask questions, read how others handle things and it's made me a better horse woman. Don't know where I'd be without you all. ;) ;D
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

summerskyy

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:56:10 pm »

I just read this and I want to say how happy I am for you! After I lost my first mare ( age 27--I owned her for 20 of those years)--I felt almost afraid to ride another horse--at least out alone. I've ridden alone most of my life, but after she passed--I found myself unsure of my new horse--and even my other horse too. I got better, but now I'm facing the same challenge again. I went for a spell without riding--the weather was steady rain for quite some time, then the horses themselves had issues so I couldn't ride--then I was sick for an entire month and couldn't ride again. This dragged into several months--and now--I am feeling uneasy again. I've been sitting on my horses when I can, for maybe 10-15 minutes at a time, but only in a small paddock. They are out of condition like me so I'm taking it slow. But today-it hit me. I rode my mare around for a few minutes in the pen--and I said to her "just a few more times and we can go outside the gate and try the trails" And I suddenly realized--that thought made me very uneasy. I don't have the confidence I had before. And I don't have my original mare to get it back...Seeing you "click" with Jex made me think of her, and what a team we were. I don't know how (or if) I can do that again....I need to be that rider once more!

MyBoyG

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 06:18:08 pm »

Wow, Melissa, you've come a long way baby!  It amazes me how it feels like yesterday you were starting out riding in the round pen. Look at you now, that's awesome!

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up