Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obstacle Training Clinic July 21/22 in Ionia,MI  (Read 154 times)

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
Obstacle Training Clinic July 21/22 in Ionia,MI
« on: May 25, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »

Our association(MI Foxtrotter) is hosting an Obstacle Training Clinic with Susan Williams at her farm (Morning View Farm,3075 Turkey Trail) in Ionia,MI). This should be a very informative clinic. Susan trains Mounted Unit horses and is a member of a local unit. She won her very large obstacle class at the KY Horse Park last year. She has lots of useful ideas on riding safely through obstacles on the trail. 16 equines and riders/handlers( if the young horse is not under saddle yet) total will be worked with. There will be beginner (AM) and advanced(PM) sessions each day. Auditors are welcome. More info can be found at michiganfoxtrotters.com.

If I can get my 2 y.o. to learn to load, we will be attending.

Marilyn in mid-MI
Bud(31)  & Kate(2) both MFTs
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:02:38 pm by abbypeaches »
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

summerskyy

Re: Obstacle Training Clinic July 21/22 in Ionia,MI
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:50:09 pm »

Wish I didn't live in New Jersey! I love stuff like this. Hope you can get your girl to go--please take pics if you do. Good luck!

abbypeaches

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:32:36 pm »

There has to be some clinics like this in NJ. Hope you find one.
I need to start getting my mare used to loading. Too many family needs getting in the wAY LATELY.
i will take pictures. So far we have a variety of breeds signed up.

Marilyn
Marilyn and

abbypeaches

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:00:30 pm »

Well,the two day clinic was a hit! There were 14 horses from all over the lower peninsula of MI of various breeds. There was a TWH,a RMH, a Paso Fino, four MFTs and an assortment of other non-gaited breeds. I did not bring my 2 y.o. mare. We hadn't progressed far enough in her training to take her. Oh well, it was very educational anyway. I learned alot just by watching. If you want to see pictures of it, go to the Michigan Foxtrotters FB page(the one with the mare & foal). The clinician set up things to walk through(pool noodles,brush,a hard plastic sand box),big logs to walk over, a narrow raised walkway to traverse, a mounted running fan with streamers to walk past, the sand box with sand & water & small plastic balls in it(alot of horses didn't like walking through that), bubbles,fog,sparklers,flares and FIRE!  All of the horses made it through the lines and circle of fire. It was really cool! Many of the horses didn't like the bubbles floating toward them.
  Susan teaches very effectively and keeps things moving along. A little girl who boards at Susan's rode Susan's bombproof QH through everything ahead of any horse that was afraid to go through an obstacle. It really helped.
  Now the participants want to have the clinic again in October. I had a couple of ladies from our association help me with organizing this event. It took us seven months to plan and promote. Hopefully it won't be as much work this next time.

Marilyn
Bud (31 yo MFT) & Kate (2 yo MFT).
Marilyn and

kckc

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:13 pm »

wow that sounds great
NC

misstux

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:21:16 am »

It sounds like a really fun time. I loved theone I did with Strider.

MyBoyG

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 06:21:24 pm »

The ladies at our new barn want to do an obstacle play date in our arena. We just have to get motivated and set it all up!

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

abbypeaches

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 10:30:38 am »

Do it! It will be so much fun!
Marilyn and
Pages: [1]   Go Up