Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size area carpet  (Read 136 times)

melissah

What size area carpet
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:19 am »

The living room in our new home is smaller than the bedrooms. It's got a wood floor and I want to put an area rug in. The size is 13' X 13'6". What would be a good size? 8 X 10? or smaller. Any suggestions?
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: What size area carpet
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:57:25 pm »

IMO, depends on whether you want to put your furniture on top of it, or use it to anchor your furniture but put furniture just outside it, or on the edges.  How much of the wood floor do you want to expose?
ETA that my preference for rugs is that they be small enough that I can remove them easily (without moving all the furniture) to thrash on a clothesline.  I REALLY like area rugs that are small enough to wash.  But we have an Aussie, so we have hair everywhere all the time.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:16:25 pm by loneelk »
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Kalli

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:22:49 pm »

I like to use a rug that leaves a perimeter of the wood floor visible.  How much is up to you and what you like.

In our smaller tv room (my own cave) I have a couch that sits about 3 feet away from the wall. I bought a 5 x7 rug placed at base of couch but not under the couch.  A coffee table sits on top of rug.  There’s plenty of wood floor showing around the perimeter of the room. Just my preference.  Hub said the room is 12’ x 16’.  Something like that.

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:28:31 am »

We have some big carpets and some small ones.  IOW a variety, then you can move them as you need too.  Yup put furniture just off the rug.  The braided oval rugs would look quite vintage for your cute farm house. 

Yeah, aussie hair we got that.  And muddy footprints due to lack of grass outside. 

O

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:29 am »

If you put furnatire on floors it will scratch hard woods.

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:50 am »

I would wait till i moved in,  put in the furniture, then decide
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:23:42 am »

Our house has wood floors and an open floor plan, so we use carpets to define spaces.  A small one between 2 chairs in front of the fireplace.  An 8 x 10 in the living room & the same size in the dining room, so that all the chairs fit on the carpet when sat in.

I agree with Claudia though, I'd move the furniture in (put felt pads on all the feet) and see what you think will fit best. 
Karen

Kalli

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:19:31 pm »

If you put furnatire on floors it will scratch hard woods.

Agreed. We put felt pads on all furniture that sits on hardwood floor.

We had a small cottage in the country that had lovely pine floors. Those floors got scratched just looking at them!  Lesson learned. Our current wood floors are oak.

melissah

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:24 pm »

I would wait till i moved in,  put in the furniture, then decide

Yep, I decided that. Rugs are so expensive but lots of flea markets and rugs on craigslist :)
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

2gaits

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:54 am »

Try overstock and qvc for rugs. I've seen some good prices on those sites. I agree a braided rug would look nice for the style of home. I wouldn't buy used personally because of bed bugs, fleas etc. You can find something if you look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up