Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photobucket....funny  (Read 189 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Photobucket....funny
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:27:30 pm »

I just got this email from Photobucket, and I find it very amusing. Suddenly the price for linking pictures is $20 a year instead of 400. I would say they wouldn't have lost quite so much business if they had raised it to $20 a year in the first place, instead of making everyone angry and not trust them!

Hello,

All of your hosted images across the internet have been restored for a limited time under your Free Account.

We are also offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes:

Continued use of 3rd Party Image Hosting services
10GB of Storage
 No Advertisements
All of this for just $1.99 per month or an option of $19.99 per year. 

Hurry, last day for this offer!  Prices increase to $2.49 per month or $26.99 per year on May 22nd, 2018!

TAKE A LOOK
Photobucket is under new management and there are more positive changes on the way, including a new and improved version of Photobucket.com and additional plan models.

For more information on what we are doing look here

Check your inbox for more updates!

Thanks,
-The Photobucket
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: Photobucket....funny
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:30:19 am »

Photobucket as come full circle. I had a paid membership for quite a few years. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was under $25.00. Greed didn't work out for them, obviously.

Walkin45

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:09:18 am »

Prolly a scam

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:11:44 am »

No...no a scam.  Photo bucket truly is under new management, and I am certain because they went from free to $400 per year, and held peoples photos hostage.  I was certainly not willing.  I decided to up GHS from $400 per year to $800 per year so we could store the photos here.  No one will EVER hold them hostage.  Better one person pay $400 per year than all of us. 

I just think it is funny that after a year, photo bucket came to the same conclusion.  I would have stuck with photo bucket and told people to send photos to me to store on my photo bucket had it been just $20 per year.

After loosing their customer base, I don’t think they will get it back.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 07:54:51 am »

Could be some savvy marketing folks, watching their competition. Flickr has been purchased by SmugMug. Flickr was a Yahoo company. SmugMug issued a statement to all Flickr customers that at this time the two companies will operate separately with no changes in the available plans. Note that SmugMug does not offer a free option. The writing is on the wall. At some future point I will not be surprised to see the free Flickr plan disappear. SmugMug seems to be targeting serious photographers. So, the landscape is, again, changing.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Walkin45

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:54:35 am »

I guess they have held my pics hostage then.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:31 am »

I guess they have held my pics hostage then.

Not sure if you are referring to Flickr or Photobucket. But, Flickr currently hasn't changed a thing. My Flickr account is working as normal. I can upload, link and share my photos. It is what is coming around the corner that has me concerned about Flickr. I closed and deleted my Photobucket account completely when they changed their policy.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:58:06 am »

I went back and looked at the archived message board, that had lots of photo bucket photos.  They now show as photos, not the stupid icon.  This makes the archive more valuable.

Best option is still to shrink the photos and upload to GHS.  I am not going to hold photos hostage!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 05:33:28 pm »

Not that I ever have any luck trying to load photos and videos, but does that mean we can use vimeo or flicker to load photos and videos here now?

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »

John, you use Vimeo.  Comment on that one.

Flikr works, photobucket works, and uploading photos to GHS works.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 03:02:15 pm »

John, you use Vimeo.  Comment on that one.

Flikr works, photobucket works, and uploading photos to GHS works.

I really like Vimeo as I think their quality is better than YouTube. Best we can do is add a link to our video, whether it is at YiuTube or Vimeo. Upload your video to either site, then click on SHARE. You will get a web address. Copy that address. Go to your post here. Type a description or title of your video, highlight what you just typed, click the Hyperlink icon (just to the right of the little binoculars above the smilies in the icon bar), paste your copied web address into the hyperlink window that opened up and you’ve done it!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:58 pm »

I have regular DSL, the old-fashioned kind, supposedly 3 mbps, but I'm rarely getting half that speed. I can usually watch YouTube videos, but VIMEO, at best, gives me a few seconds of video, then a couple minutes of buffering, then another few seconds of video. Basically just doesn't work.

1950Racking

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 07:56:20 pm »

I store my stuff on "locally owned" flash drive, make duplicates, and store in a safe.   I saw this coming !
Pages: [1]   Go Up