Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. Pepper on Rainmaker Stables  (Read 179 times)

Cashela

Re: R.I.P. Pepper on Rainmaker Stables
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:43 am »

Sorry :(
Jenn-New Hampshire

rainmaker

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41:11 pm »

Time helps, I guess.  At least I didn't lose it this morning when I went out to feed and Pepper wasn't there to meet me for the first time in 20 years.

Raylin, Pepper was still doing acceptable when you were down here.  She lost over a 100 pounds in the last month, wouldn't leave the barn to eat so I fed her hay.  She would eat about a half flake of alfalfa hay and walk away.  Wouldn't bend her front legs so farrier could trim her hooves and her COPD had gotten so bad that I could hear her breathing before I got to the barn.  I thought maybe another year until a month or so ago but she went down so quick.  Even when you know it is the right thing to do, it is difficult.

According to my records, I've owned 102 horses in my long life, going back to my teen years and including weanlings I sold while in the business.  I lost one foal that didn't develop correctly and had no chance and I have had to put two horses down, both very old mares, Pepper and I.B. Stroken.  Both were 28 years old and in retirement for a few years.  Not many horses have a better life than those mares and virtually no one has been as fortunate to own and work with such good horses as I have been over the last 20 years. 

I appreciate all the posts of condolence but I knew that would be the case with such fine horse people on GHS.

misstux

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 10:36:42 am »

So very sorry to read this sad sad news.  It is hard to lose any of them, but especially so for the truly special ones.

riding the sun

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 04:50:13 pm »

Aw, Jim, I remember meeting Pepper.  She was a one-of-a-kind horse for you.  I am glad she was your friend for all these years.  You must have man fond memories of her. So sorry for her loss, but you did what was needed.  Love ya.

Judy
My favorite trail is the next one
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up