Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. Pepper on Rainmaker Stables  (Read 233 times)

rainmaker

R.I.P. Pepper on Rainmaker Stables
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:34 am »

As breeders we often talk about the importance of a stallion to the breed and rightfully so because they can affect the breed much more than can a mare in their life time.  That doesn't mean the mares aren't important and once in a long time a breeder gets a really special mare.  That happened to me 20 years ago when I had the opportunity to purchase Pepper, a big, black gaited mare of unknown breeding.  Pepper was 8 years old at the time, most recently the guide's horse for trail rides in the Ozark Mountains and so good that a feature writer in Denver wrote a full page article after following her on the trail all day.  Pepper came to us as a trail riding horse because I had not yet decided to get in the breeding business.  A year of riding her and I badly wanted one of her foals so she was bred to a well gaited TWH stallion.  Rainmaker was a yearling when Pepper had her first foal for us, a solid black colt that became as good on the trail as his dam.  She was such a good dam and loved having a baby that I made her the start of our breeding business by registering her as a Kentucky Mountain saddle horse because she had the perfect rack, as near as one can get to perfect.  Over the next several years, Pepper foaled Levi (Rainmaker's first offspring), PR, Trail Boss, Early Edition and Quake before I retired her. 

For eight years now, Pepper has been retired and living an easy life that was well deserved.  She has always been a big mare and would lose a little weight over each winter.  This winter, she lost about 200 pounds and over the last six weeks or so, she has lost nearly that much more so you won't be seeing a photo of her last weeks.  The last three weeks, she is having trouble breathing so the time has come to let her go and when the vet gets here today, that will happen.  It will be the most difficult thing I have done in my life because she was my wife's trail horse when we rode so much together and then the star of my breeding operation.  Pepper was one of those rare horses that never spooked.  She wouldn't even stop quickly, just watch and keep walking while she figured it out.

A story about how good she was in any venue.  In 2001 I was showing a Rocky Mountain gelding in our monthly horse show in the Ozark Mountains.  The small show circuit awarded points to the rider, not the horse, and I was in a tight competition with my county judge, a friend.  The last show of the season, my gelding came up tender in a foot and was off enough I couldn't show him.  My only other gaited horse was Pepper, pregnant with Levi at the time.  I got her out of the pasture on Saturday morning, gave her a good brushing and went to the show.  In five classes, she took the blue ribbon three times and the red ribbon twice, ahead of my friend all five times.  That was her show career.  She did it because I asked but she loved being a brood mare.

R.I.P. Pepper, you deserved the long, good life and left your mark on the breed, all geldings but their owners won't forget them.  Pepper will lie near her pasture mate of several years, I.B. Stroken, in the pasture both called home the last several years of their lives while they raised some of the best trail horses this breeder has ever been privileged to train.

My only horse now is Rainmaker, 19 years old.

johneny

Re: R.I.P. Pepper on Rainmaker Stables
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:52 am »

So sorry to read this, Jim. Wishing you peace.
John, Southampton NY, TWH

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:07:06 am »

Never easy to lose one of our four leggeds.  Very sorry for your loss.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:00:02 am »

Thoughts with you Jim.  It is so hard to let them go but on the other hand it's not when the time comes.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

ponymare

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:59:47 am »

So sorry to hear this.  :-\

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:00 pm »

Rest in peace, Pepper. Your legacy lives on and you will be remembered for a long time.

kckc

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 02:02:31 pm »

My thoughts are with you losing such a treasured family member
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 02:06:05 pm »

What a warm, beautiful eulogy. Sorry for your loss, Jim. RIP Pepper.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Walkin45

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:24:54 pm »

Always hard to let one go.

PAWalker

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:38:46 pm »

My deepest sympathies in your loss of Pepper.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:57 pm »

So hard to lose such a special horse.  Hugs to you.
MJ

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:42 pm »

Oh, what sad story, what a great story.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Kalli

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:08 pm »

So sorry you had to let her go.  I enjoyed reading your lovely tribute to her.  Such a blessing to have had a wonderful horse like her in your life! 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:38:34 pm by Kalli »

Laurie

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 09:25:16 am »

Its so hard to lose a good horse. You were lucky to have her and she was lucky to have you.

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:52 am »

Many hugs. So hard to lose the good ones. I seen that Pepper was showing her age when we was down there.

May she run pain free.

Raylin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up