Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to transport my horses?  (Read 219 times)

melissah

Re: How to transport my horses?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:47 pm »

I don't have much else to add, except if its hot out, traveling at night will be MUCH easier on the horses and on your truck! Like I mentioned I am not a night driver :) I would literally fall asleepI don't take horses out of the trailer unless I'm staying overnight somewhere.  Otherwise, I open all the windows (if you can safely) every time I stop and let the horses look around.I have no windows just the slats but they can see out of them.  If you can't open windows you'll have to practice going in and offering water.  I use a small bucket, they are easier to carry and less bulky.  Take your own water with you (you can buy water containers at Walmart and the like).  Also, I would give small dose of electrolytes 2 days before going, then slightly larger dose the night prior to going. This will help your ponies "bulk up" on some fluid intake before they head out on the trip.  You can always make slurpies of beet pulp and alfalfa pellets along the way as well to get some water in them.  For a trip that long I would feed hay, better if in a slow feed bag but use what you have, just make sure they can't get a leg caught if the hay empties out. Hmm.. and don't wrap legs.  I know people love to do that, but if you're driving along and the boots or wraps slip off you can have a mess back there.  I've dealt with 2 different professional hauling companies and both of them advised no leg wraps.  Typically you only need to stop for potty and fuel (human schedule) and that should be enough for the horses.  Take the time to stop for a meal, not just a drive through.  Even if you pack a cooler with your meals stop and take time to rest yourself and "refuel".  It will be an easier drive for sure. Yes, I'll need to stop quite a bit myself.

I hauled from Seattle to Alabama

We hauled during day, and stopped at a campground at night.That's what we'll do

I unloaded 1 or 2 times a day, no more. I don't think I'll unload. I don't feel safe

I had hay and water in the trailer at all times.  Water is the tricky part unless I soak the hay really mushy

I used e'lytes a every other day until day of hauling the week before.  IOW do e'lytes 3 times.  Then do them every each day one time a day when hauling and 1-2 times after getting to their new destination if they are not drinking.  Do not over e'lyte them.  I would feed hay only, no grain.  If they eat beetpulp then make that wet for one meal, and you can put their e'lytes in the meal.  If not syringe into their mouths.Good idea too

Unloading and loading is risky.  Also takes more time to get to your destination.  Risky that they could get away possibly. 

I would put some shavings in the trailer but you need to ensure they do not blow around.  If your trailer is open, I would do a fly mask with ears.  I consider your trailer you have pictured "open".  So masks and check masks to make sure they are ok under there and also clean.

There are horse motels.  You can look those up.  Then schedule for one each night if you need to. 

It took us about 4 days of hauling.  The continental divide was a challenge.  Make sure your truck is ready for the task.  We took it at night so it would be cooler for the truck.

I hauled a lot due to riding endurance.  Also hauled for others. 

No leg wraps.  Heat will be the main issue.  But I would NOT haul at night exclusively.  Too tiring for the drivers.  If you stop for people food they will be fine left in the trailer.  Just make it so they do not sweat bad.  You are going to the land of humidity.  It will take about 1 year for them to acclimate.  And come winter that thick stuff is FUR!  They will need it.  :-)  I assume your horses are also used to being hosed off.  If they get too  hot hosing them or sponging them will be an asset.

Good Luck! Thank you

O

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

kckc

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 01:23:25 pm »

test all of your feeding, drugs etc with the horses weeks before you leave... just to make sure all will eat, drink and not have reactions.   have you priced having a transport company take your horses?  Just wondered.  It sounds like one heck of a drive  :-)
NC

PAWalker

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 04:56:04 pm »

I used www.horsemotel.com coming from SoCal to TN in 2003.

Every place we stayed got a five star rating.  They all treated my horses like they were insured for the Rolex and the two B&B's were fantastic.  The one just outside OK City had turned a couple of horse stalls into "motel rooms".  They had A/C, showers and I could hear their horses munching hay -- great way to fall asleep, lol. My three were out in a huge round pen with hay and water --- they had all night to move around, eat, drink and poop, lollol

We also stayed at two motels and asked for rooms in the back, preferably on the first floor ---- that so I could sneak the dogs in the motel rooms.  Believe me my Rottweiler, Lab/Sharpei and Beagle/mix had way better manners than some people's kids.

The cat stayed in the Rotterweiler's old training crate in the bed of the truck. -- I had a cap on the truck.   I kept a blanket over it so it was like a cave.  The litter box was tied to the crate.  I put food and water in every night and removed it before we left every morning.  Ginger was 9 or 10 and did perfectly fine traveling that way:)

Ah yes The Continental Divide ----- make sure all the brakes are in good working order and shut the air off especially if your pulling truck is small block --- you do not want to overheat the truck.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:57:55 pm by PAWalker »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up