Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having fun teaching a two year old mare.  (Read 27 times)

abbypeaches

Having fun teaching a two year old mare.
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:57:00 pm »

Well, I weaned my now two year old MFT mare(Midnight Rendezvous,barn name Kate) a couple of months ago by selling the mom. The breeder who bought her(again) took her a couple of hours north back to his farm. Since then she has bonded to me big time. She is so friendly,willing and curious! She always comes trotting up to the fence to greet me. Makes my heart sing! She loves to play with everything and dig holes. So when I introduce things like the tarp, a rain coat, hose, water coming out of the hose, flymask,etc., I let her mouth it and shake it first. Then she accepts it as non-threatening and isn't afraid of it. She learns SO fast too. Three sessions on backing up and she has it down. We got her used to her fly mask in less than a half hour. I left it on her after plenty of touch then retreat and she didn't object to wearing it for the afternoon. She loves her grooming sessions too. I need to work on making her understand to not crowd me though.
  All in all, this has been a positive experience so far.
  Marilyn, Bud and Kate
Marilyn and
 Bud, 30 yo reg. MFT gelding, Montana's Silver Mist(Misty) 20 yo MFT & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 16 mo mare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up