Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jex's 7th time out alone....WINDY day but I had to get out.  (Read 93 times)

melissah

It's been a while since he had been out by himself. But I was chomping at the bit to get out there with him windy or not, So it started out mellow until we got to the bottom of the hill where a man was lunging his horse where I ride past off his property. Then the horse pulled the rope right out of his hands. Glad all he did was run back to his stall. Then further up 2 horses were galloping up a hill. Going out is somewhat easy but it's the turning back home. Just do it enough and he'll get he always ends up home. You can hear the wind.

https://youtu.be/KguBwkoy_zU
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

2gaits

Re: Jex's 7th time out alone....WINDY day but I had to get out.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:20:10 am »

I'm riding alone these days since my riding partner, my sister, no longer has a noticeable horse. It has been an adjustment as my horses and I had almost quit riding out by ourselves. My horses do okay with it and neither is spooky by their self but always do pick up the pace coming home. That is always a constant training point. I have found that riding alone does make a horse look to the rider and not other horses for confidence.

melissah

Re: Jex's 7th time out alone....WINDY day but I had to get out.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:57:05 am »

I'm riding alone these days since my riding partner, my sister, no longer has a noticeable horse. It has been an adjustment as my horses and I had almost quit riding out by ourselves. My horses do okay with it and neither is spooky by their self but always do pick up the pace coming home. That is always a constant training point. I have found that riding alone does make a horse look to the rider and not other horses for confidence.

Very true. I LOVE taking him out alone. We did it an 8th time, warm, no wind and he was a perfect boy. I gait him out and I let him do a good pace back. People always said don't run your horses home or go fast. I got a gaited horse so I could move out. lol. BUT he is very attentive to my ques and he will always slow when asked. Yesterday, Hannah and I went out. She rode Dozer because he needs to be ridden. I'm a one horse woman. David actually thought about selling him and I said NO you will ride again after he does his trucking thing plus it's nice to have a guest horse.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up