verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My own haynet experiment - round bale feeder/Cinchchix  (Read 862 times)

Moongait

Re: My own haynet experiment - round bale feeder/Cinchchix
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »

This very cold winter is my first time to experiment with round bales.  My 2 horses gobbled up most of the first, unprotected bale in just one week, while the Polar Vortex hovered over us.   I believe that 24/7 food supply is what kept them warm and happy.  However, Far too much good hay was pooped on and wasted. I learned that round bales must be enclosed and protected in some way.  Kysa's haynet + pallet-ring is sheer genius, but I don't have easy access to pallets.   Instead, Bale no.2 is sitting in my run-in shed, encased in a gigantic sturdy green bag. (www.bigbalebuddy.com)  It's working wonderfully well.  The hay stays clean and dry, while the horses, having learned that the hay will always be there, come and go at will.  Just another possibility to consider...  -Julie

kckc

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 03:16:47 pm »

I tried the bale buddy and while it was better than an open bale they also trompled on it and 'messed' on it when the hay got low.   of course when it got low mine dragged it, played with and tried to destroy it.... now they won't play with toys.... of course.
NC

kathypa

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 10:42:45 am »

I thought about wrapping the bottom of the bale until they eat it down..wonder if that would work??

kckc

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 03:30:38 pm »

wrapping the bottom of the bale?  I'm not following
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 03:49:19 pm »

Really, some sort of bale ring is the best way to do it.  And you can do it yourself a bale ring from materials you have available.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kathypa

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »

I do have a source of pallets ready and waiting Kysa. Just thinking of something like field silage is wrapped in. A hay girdle. ::)

kckc

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:49 pm »

what would be your purpose of the hay girdle?  If you're surrounding the hay with a ring of some kind they can't walk on it anymore.   
NC

kathypa

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:04 am »

I have a pony in the mix..the ring would need to be small enough for her to eat.
The "girdle" would keep the net from puddling on the ground. Using the net now. I used the plastic rope that came with it and "tightened" the net before I let the horses at it. Mainly I made a big new seam instead of using the opening ends. Working much better.
Pony is not liking it because the horses don't want her there, but she sneaks in and eats. She is plenty fat so she will do better without the hay buffet.

jbb

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »

I bought a hay hut a few years ago and it's been a good investment altho it was pricey.  It keeps the hay dry unless it's really windy and blows the rain in and it keeps it all contained in one spot so they're not walking on it and peeing and pooping on it.  During the winter when it's cooler here in Florida I can put a round bale in there but when it's really humid and wet in the summer, I throw just enough flakes in there for them for the day so it doesn't get moldy and nasty.  with the round bales they do tend to eat a lot for the first couple of weeks but then go back to their normal eating patterns when they realize it's going to be there.  Google Hay Hut to see what it is.  Kind of like a Lil Tykes playhouse with 2 "windows" in each side for the heads to reach in and get the hay.

kathypa

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 10:49:57 am »

Hay huts are sold locally. There was horse on the Eastern shore who managed to get itself caught in one. I give and take the round bale buffet depending on the weather. They don't leave it!! Today was the first they were out in the field because I tossed hay yesterday instead of letting them eat all night.  ???

kckc

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 04:25:38 pm »

I like the hay hut - there are several problems with it such as moving it by hand is nowhere as easy as they say, putting together was a real pain in... , but it does stop the arguing and it keeps the hay well - until I traded my tractor for a skid steer I could not get the hut over my really big round bales and I did not use a pallet under the hay - I still did not get wet or moldy hay.  if the rain blew in well that was the first hay they could eat and as long as I didn't put it at the bottom of a hill the water did not run under.  now that I have something that will lift the hut totally over the hay I can put it on a pallet if I want.   wish I had 2 or 3 huts - I'd just put the hay out and let them wander all over to eat.
I do put my hat in a net also to keep them from pulling it out the windows - waste is what I was trying to stop when I bought the hut as well as mold from having it rained on. 
depending on the size of the pony they should be able to reach in there and get hay
if you don't want the expense of a hut there is a nice plastic ring that you can get is optional height - it is from agri supply.
a ring is totally the answer especially if you want to use a net - the stomping on, poo & pee on a net that is unprotected is awful.
NC

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 05:55:51 pm »

Sounds like a lot of work.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up