verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My own haynet experiment - round bale feeder/Cinchchix  (Read 859 times)

kathypa

My own haynet experiment - round bale feeder/Cinchchix
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:25:01 am »

OK I did the splurge. I bought the 1 1/4 inch mesh feeder - hard to spend over $200 on a hay net.
It took hubby a half hour to put it on - mainly because we fought each other how....
For now, the horses are in half the bottom of a bank barn so it is inside sitting on the ground. They can walk completely around it. None have shoes.
I gave them a lot of  loose hay the morning we put the net on. They seem to be able to pull hay out of it fine. I like for the small round bales to last 2 weeks although with the frigid weather we have had recently, they go faster.
At first Belle claimed the whole thing, but now Banjo is eating beside her.
 They can pull about 4 blades of grass at the most each mouthful.
The pony is a concern...she is round as a barrel, but I am watching her carefully.
 So far, she is afraid to go close, but I am not watching 24/7.
Yesterday I went to shovel pooh and Banjo stood outside the window where I push hay through begging for some...no I didn't cave.
If the hay is used faster than I want, I'll go back to hand feeding, but at least it is an option if I go away and no one would need to wade through the mud to get to the barn.
 I can't trust the BO to feed them hay twice a day and they could live without feed a week.
My plans are to fence our property this year and bring them home. I have lots of limestone rock to work around.
If I could go back in time, my land would have at least enough level ground for a round pen...that is going to be an issue for sure.
The round bale looks like an upside down mushroom now. It is nice not to rush back to feed the starving horses!
I'll keep you posted..Kathy

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
Re: My own haynet experiment - round bale feeder/Cinchchix
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:31 am »

We have one of them nets also, just we don't store the round bales inside & it was a pain to strip the bale down to good hay, but I have to say the horses looked better when we was using it. As it is now looks like if you poked Lovey with a pin she would go flying like a balloon deflating :/

All the inside horses get fed from a slow net feeders & do well. a lot less waste :)

Raylin

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:54 am »

Kathy, I would still recommend some sort of round feeder so that does not form a pancake as they eat it down.  Then they will step on it and pee on it.  Gross.
Several ideas, and you will need short for the pony.  My favorite for big horses is 2 twelve foot long hog panels bent in semicircles and tied together.  But I think a hot panel is 3 foot high.  I just made a stopgap feeder for Molly and Savanna that is working well.  Sections of pallets, cut two feet high, then tied together.  That would probably work for the pony.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

ponymare

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:30:05 pm »

What size are your bales Kathy?  We use the smaller bales.  But ours would be out in the weather like Raylin's.  It would be nice if David didn't have to put hay out twice a day and they would have access to it all the time.  But the weather would be an issue if they didn't eat it fairly quickly.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:28:27 pm »

I bought one of these poly hay feeders.  You can get the shorter ones too which would be good for mini's.   They also make a square paneled feeder which is really nice but a bit more expensive

http://www.cinchchix.com/product-p/agi32.htm
http://www.cinchchix.com/Round-Bale-Feeders-s/1513.htm
http://www.siouxsteel.com/index.php/product-detail/poly-hay-feeders
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:19:27 pm »

I have one of the Sioux steel ones.

kathypa

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:55:41 pm »

Yes I definitely need something to hold the net so they don't walk on it.
So far, that's all they have done. It looks like they are going to eat a whole 5' $40 bale in a week so that's not going to work for everyday use.
Boy it's handy to only walk through the muck once a day.
I'm thinking I should have bought the smaller mesh now.
Banjo has figured out if he grabs and shakes a section of net, hay falls out the bottom.

kckc

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »

how does the hay fall out the bottom?  you mean out of the holes or did you not put the hay bale all the way around?  the only time I tried using it without a ring around it was the last time...what a mess - they got down to the last 1/3 of a bale and starting messing on it.  then I had to not only handle that nasty net but I had to get all that hay out of the net too....  the 1 1/4 net is pretty small.
NC

kathypa

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:11 am »

The smaller pieces filter down. The net is the whole way around.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 11:36:02 am »

Kathy, people that use these nets say that the horses eat LOTS for the first little while until they realize they don;t have to keep gobbling it up because it is going to be there 24/7.  I am not sure how long that "stage" lasts before they start eating less.  Maybe someone else can answer that, as to how long you can expect them to pig out on it before dropping back.  As for the net and shaking, I feed in small Cinch Chix nets (bags) and the holes are 1".  They hang from posts and trees and that is what my horses do as well...pick them up and shake the daylights out of them and then eat the small flakes of hay from the ground.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

kathypa

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 07:52:13 pm »

Hmmmm. Thanks Mona..I did notice they are going out in the field more. Maybe there's hope. '

kathypa

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 06:59:31 am »

Well they went through a bale in a week :(. No money saving there. Until I find a way  to keep them off it, I am going to just flake hay off the bale. At the end was when it was very messy. They dragged the net through their own waste and there is a lot of that (even picked daily)  since they hung by the feeder most of the time. Last night I just emptied the rest of the net on the ground and they can pick through the good and the nasty.
I have a source for pallets, but they just burned them so am waiting for more to come in. The horses are getting along a lot better not competing for hay. Back to the drawing board...

Walkin45

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42:01 am »

Have you tried a hay ring?

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:32:20 am »

Kathy, I guess you might have to resort to just feeding portions still, but in a small square bale hay net rather than a large round.  It will limit their feed, but at least it allow they to graze longer from the same sized feeding portion than without a net.  I have mine hanging from posts we pounded in the pasture.  It works great in that it keeps them moving because they are always moving another horse off from one net to another.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 11:39:58 am »

I would think the bale would become a mess when there is no ring to keep them from walking on it. 
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up