Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need recommendation for small child’s helmet  (Read 56 times)

Kalli

Need recommendation for small child’s helmet
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:30:20 pm »

There’s a young girl, maybe 4-5, who waves to me, comes to the road and always asks to pet my horse when I ride past her house.  Her dad makes sure she approaches slowly and she is clearly excited about petting Snuff.  Dad told me she has been on a horse a few times but they don’t have one of their own.

Next time I stop at her place, I’m going to ask her dad if she has a helmet and if not, I’d like to buy one for her. 

Can anyone make a recommendation for a good kid’s helmet?  Is there one that could be somewhat adjustable to allow a little growth?

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Need recommendation for small child’s helmet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:48:43 pm »

Quite a few of the smaller schooling helmets have dial adjustments.  You still neet to get close in size and shape.
I just moved my youngest granddauter from a troxel Dakota to a troxel Liberty.  Both came in extra small, but the Dakota is a more round shape and she now needs a bit more oval.
Any helmet sold new in the USA will meet safety standards for equestrian helmets.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:41:16 am »

I agree with Kysa on the Troxel Helmets.  All the kids at our barn use them.  Dan has a wall full of them some that are the kids own and the rest are the barn's. 
Sam is on her 3rd one, we pass the old ones along as they are still in regulation.

Good luck and it's great that you are helping this little girl to indulge her early love of horses.  Who knows years down the road she will remember Snuff and you.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:26:53 am »

If you are unable to take the child with for this purchase, measure her head with a tape measure.  While you do that, observe if her head is more round or more oval in shape.  Then choose a helmet size that puts her number of inches in the middle of the sizing, one that has a dial fit, and one that the general shape of the head compartment is either round or oval as she needs.  Ovation makes some nice kids helmets, too.  You will mostly have to go with what your local stores sell.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Kalli

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:48:51 am »

Thanks everyone!  I’ll have to pack a tape measure so I can take her measurement. My guess is a round one for her but will observe that, too. I know there are some troxels at our local Tractor Supply.  Not sure if there will be Extra Small or even Small. Going to check that out later today. 😊
Pages: [1]   Go Up