Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inside the Barn....Ideas?  (Read 132 times)

melissah

Inside the Barn....Ideas?
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:39 am »

So here is the barn inside. I will have a contractor inspect it then renovate it ASAP. I've never had a real barn so I am clueless. I want 3 stalls inside. Ideas?

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Inside the Barn....Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:27:02 pm »

Our experience is that WOOD turns horses into beavers.  Some more than others.  So if there's a way to shield the wood from teeth, that is a good thing.  And I can't tell size from this pic.  The absolute smallest I'd want a stall for a horse is 12x12.  Ours are 12x16 under roof, and because they're not actually stalls but rather 3 sided sheds w/ attached runs, the 16' dimension is the depth, w/ a 12' opening, because sometimes the wind blows SO hard from the east that it's enough to drive rain well into a 12' depth.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:32:16 am »

It makes life easier if you can easily open gates and allow them entry instead of having to halter to bring them in.   I like the horse panel gates (small 2x2 heavy wire gates) so no legs can get caught when rolling - you know coming in from the rain to the dry.   No hooves caught if there is play while stalled.   Figure out how you are going to water and feed to know where you want openings, doors for your access.   Is this going to be your storage for hay and other things also? 
NC

vruste

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:17 am »

your posts are likely supporting and must remain, so those will probably dictate one dimension of your stalls.  The size will depend on how much your horses are in. 10x10 is ok, 12x12 is better, 10x12 is fine too.  If it ends up being 9', well don't panic either ;-)  Work with what you have and make concessions when necessary.  I have mine set up so usually I can just let horses in and open up the stall I'd like them to go to.  I don't like having to halter every time (though honestly that's a good thing too).  If your stalls are used as run-ins, consider a gate between so you can have 2 single stalls or open them up into one large stall for a couple horses....all depends on your arrangement.  My donkeys have access to a barn stall 24/7...I built it as a 12x24 with 2 gates and set up where I could put a 12' portable panel between if I needed to divide them up. Recently I remodeled the barn and gave up that option...their stall is a little smaller but I also have fewer donkeys now.   My blind mini has a small paddock and an 8x8 stall in the barn available 24/7.  Next to her stall is another 8x8 stall. MOST of the time, the gate between them is open so she can access an 8x16 stall, which gives lots of protection if the wind is from the door side....but when needed, like our recent blizzards, I can close that divider and bring more minis inside to be protected.  My other stalls are solid stalls with solid walls but it's nice having a little versatility now and then.  My point being consider your various conditions and uses and don't be afraid to think outside the box. 

My most recent barn remodel we moved the hay storage from the back of the barn to the front.  Now it's right next to the 12' sliding door for easy load in.  As a bonus now hay can be brought in even with the tractor parked in the barn where previously I had to move the tractor to bring in hay.  I downsized my tack room and moved it to the far back corner.  Not always ideal but easier than hauling hay through the barn.  The stall that is convertible for my mini is next to the tack room and the 8' gate can open in to make a grooming/tacking up stall and have the gate out of the way.  If i'm just letting horses in I open the gate out to direct them to the right place.

Lighting and electrical are big considerations in the barn.  It's always a little dark and shadowy inside, so plan for good lighting.  My husband added lighting so that I have a couple stalls that are particularly well lit--handy for trimming hooves, vet checks, grooming, tacking up.... He added quite a lot of overall light too so it's easy to clean stalls.  When we built in the last stalls this summer my husband ran an electric circuit to each stall so I have ample places to plug in heated buckets in the winter.  No extension cords!!  It was amazing.  Also comes handy in the summer when I decide to clip bridle paths or body clip and there is an outlet handy from anywhere.  If someone is locked inside during the summer I have an outlet for a fan.  My barn has almost as much power service as our house.  But depending on where you live...a circuit for automatic waterers, heated buckets, plugging in the tractor, lights, etc, etc really adds up. 

My next barn project will be to put a hydrant INSIDE the barn.  I don't stall often, but as we discovered last weekend, hauling water to 13 stalled minis when you have to trek through 3 and 4' snow drifts is a real hassle.  Currently the hydrant is outside on one corner of the barn.  My husband helped me do chores once last weekend during the blizzard and he hauled water--after the first trip he said you WILL be getting water in the barn this summer!!

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:16:22 am »

I agree with making it so they can go in and out by themselves -- .  Our horses rarely go into theirs unless it's hot and buggy.

I would clean it up - and let them get settled and then decide how you want to proceed.      After you have been there a little
bit and see how they go in and out --you will know better how to remodel.

I suggest fencing off a portion right outside the barn as a DRY LOT.  Coming from no grass - they don't need to have all that grass right away, AND
if its muddy, icey, etc you can keep them in the lot and not have to keep them in a stall.  If they need to get into the barn they can that way and you don't have to take them in and out manually

Our dry lot is about 60 X 80 or 100 I think -- and the stalls are "run in"  -- at least in the winter they can move around.  We do not have alot of pasture, so they
are off the pasture in the bad weather.

Hope this helps
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

melissah

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:55:13 am »

Thanks y'all for great ideas. I love opening it all and fencing the barn off so they can come and go. I didn't really study the barn but now going through pic and satellite pics I May be able to run the fence off and turn i so they get a lot of dry lot. Just one thought ? Feeding time. Any ideas? It shouldn't be this hard lol.  :P

Here are their stalls now. Dry lot.

Here is front opening

And my Google map satellite image with drawing  lol

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

kckc

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 03:40:09 pm »

you need an opening that is separate for you/your truck/tractor etc... and theirs wherever you want it to be.  Heck, are you bringing your corral panels with you?  can you use those?  if not they make a round pen or small dry lot along with a run in.   
depending on the size of the barn on the property you might find it easier to put up a pole barn/shed roof easier than trying to adapt an existing structure.  That would leave you with that one for storage, tack etc.   
NC

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 04:01:50 pm »

I'd put up temporary stalls, fencing (use your panels from CA.)  After you have been there awhile you will have a much better idea of what you want and need to make horse keeping easier.   After you are in MO, you can look around the area and see what is used in that area.   Talk to the locals and see what they suggest.  Great way to meet people.
MJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up