Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bot Fly eggs  (Read 347 times)

loverbey

Bot Fly eggs
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:25 pm »

What is the best way to remove the pesky bot fly eggs from your horse? Chance is dark and they really show, I have not been able to remove them from his coat, they are really bad on his legs.

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Bot Fly eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:21:22 am »

I hope someone else chimes in with a better way, but we just use a metal scraper and scrape them off. It's not necessarily easy, but I don't know of another way.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

NoRegrets

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:08 am »

I use both a Slick n Easy grooming block and a bot knife.  Can't get them all, but it helps. 

Now it's funny but in NJ, I never had them on the horses.  In fact the only ones I'd seen were on a horse that came from the south.  But here in Ohio, the first year they were terrible.  Last year, not quite as bad.  Or maybe I just got used to seeing them :)  I do deworm for them in hopes that it breaks the cycle. 
Debbie

MyBoyG

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

A bot knife and patience. 

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

loverbey

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:34:43 pm »

I have used the grooming block but it does not work well. I don't remember seeing them as bad as this before. Of course Lacy was gray and maybe I did not notice them on her being light and Chance is black so they really show up on him. I will get a bot knife and see if I can get them off with that. I though there was something you could spray on them to loosen them up first. Thanks for your help.

Lori

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:19:14 am »

I wonder if a light coating of mane detangler - Cowboy Magic, Vetrolin, Survivor, whatever you use - would loosen them up. I wish you would try it and see, then let us know.  :)

duchess

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:30 am »

Our feed store carries a special razor for shaving off whiskers etc. i used it this year. Quick and easy on the bot fly eggs. Only one horse had bot fly eggs this summer. But then we had a very nice warm spell in the midst of the cold. Who would have thought of bot eggs in the midst of winter!  The razor is just a razor blade set in a plastic purple 'handle' set at an appropriate angle. Cost i think averages about $1 or so a piece. I get the pack of 3.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 05:36:27 am »

I know what Duchess is talking about. It's called "Win by a Nose". It's an actual shaver for shaving off a horse's whiskers.

oncidium

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:23:14 am »

I use a serrated steak knife.

If not that, I pull off with my hand.

I get rid of bots right away.

poorfarm

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:46:16 pm »

We have lots of Bots... I just use a regular leg shaver...works for 95 % of them..
It's all about life, love, dogs and horses.

Pages: [1]   Go Up