Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

I have only had this new girl for a little while, but am not crazy about her name. So, which would you choose?

Keep it same:  Cookie
- 2 (16.7%)
Change it to Kacey, named for one of my favorite female country singers
- 9 (75%)
Another name of your choosing
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing my new horses name?  (Read 210 times)

capecupcake

• Horses are my sanity
Changing my new horses name?
« on: April 05, 2018, 02:16:05 pm »

She is 11 years old and doesn't seem to react to her name and I am not crazy about it. Would you change it and if so, to what?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:17:52 pm by capecupcake »

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Changing my new horses name?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:27:38 pm »

If she doesn't seem attached to it, try the new one.  Call the new name, then place her feed bucket or bowl in front of her.  Do that for a week, then just go out and say the new name.  Bet she will recognize it then.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 06:33:23 pm »

Well, I have only changed a horse's name once, and never again.  She died maybe less than a year later, that's when someone told me it was bad luck to change a horses name.  So call me superstitious  :(
MJ

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:35:03 pm »

So what happened to the gelding you had, must have missed the post?
MJ

capecupcake

• Horses are my sanity
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:53:44 pm »

I still have Trace. My fiance decided he wanted to start riding so he took on Trace since he is beginner safe and I found a new horse. I wouldn't get rid of trace, he is too good of a horse.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:00:42 am »

If you want to change it, change it. When I got Smokey, his name was Pacer. For somewhat obvious reasons I did not want a gaited horse named Pacer! I already had a buckskin named Bandit, Pacer was black, so Smokey seemed a natural fit. Now all I need is a Trans Am!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

ponymare

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »

When I bought "the Princess" I told the old fellow that I bought her from that I was going to have her registered with SSHBEA as Apache's Painted Princess. He told me "you can call her anything you want to. (insert long pause). But she comes to Princess."  ;D ;D ;D

And he was right. She came to Princess!

But if she doesn't seem attached to her name and you don't care for it, I don't see why you couldn't change it!  :)

rainmaker

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:00:20 pm »

Rainmaker was named Casper when I got him but not for long.  A ghost name didn't seem right for a breeding stallion IMO.  I've sold several horses that got new names and it never seemed to faze them.  They are more interested in the feed bucket and hay rack than what you call them.

johneny

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:29:45 pm »

I was told of four previous names before the owner before me named my horse Monty. When he first arrived I tried using each one, in case he preferred one of them. No reaction so I stuck with Monty. He also answers to "cookie."
John, Southampton NY, TWH

riding the sun

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 04:52:59 pm »

I think a horse responds more to your voice and inflection that a name. Copper's name when I got him was Flipper.  That had to go!
My favorite trail is the next one

coolpapabill

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:57:46 am »

If ever a horse should be named Blondie ( after Debbie Harry ) that mare is the one.

misstux

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:04 am »

Strider's name was Striking Fire when I got him  He had no trouble adapting. That being said in the year or so before I got  him he went from Ohio to a dealer to another dealer to a home andreturned to the second dealer
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:20:28 am by misstux »

Kalli

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 11:50:44 am »

My friend who’s had horses and been a trainer for many years believes that if you listen to your horse when you’re around him/her, she will tell you what she wants to be called.

Ok, that’s kinda deep for this horse newbie ....but she does have a talent for working with horses.

I have no idea what my gelding was called before I bought him. He has a fancy registered name but I believe the seller gave him that name at registration. My friend’s husband kinda nicknamed him. It fits so it stuck. Mr. Snuffleupagus, aka Snuffle, Snuffy, Snuff.   😊
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:52:24 am by Kalli »
Pages: [1]   Go Up