Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 1118 times)

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
Re: Supplements
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 07:46:08 am »

Thank you.   :)
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

Iceangel

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 09:30:32 am »

Thanks everyone for their responses.  I have some researching to do now. I am feeding something called HS35 which my girls get 3/4 cup of it and a cup of oats. Because it is such a small, unkown company it scares me it isn't  top quality ingredients and I question how much research it has had. They are doing great but who knows if it is the supplement.  I also wonder if I should forget the supplement and feed great hay with a joint supplement instead.  I am retired with very limited budget so $ is a concern.  Two of my girls are over 18 and I worry about their joints and longevity. I want them sound for many more years.

PAWalker

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »

Thanks everyone for their responses.  I have some researching to do now. I am feeding something called HS35 which my girls get 3/4 cup of it and a cup of oats. Because it is such a small, unkown company it scares me it isn't  top quality ingredients and I question how much research it has had. They are doing great but who knows if it is the supplement.  I also wonder if I should forget the supplement and feed great hay with a joint supplement instead.  I am retired with very limited budget so $ is a concern.  Two of my girls are over 18 and I worry about their joints and longevity. I want them sound for many more years.

If you buy your hay by the season have your hay tested.  EquiAnalytical does a great job of testing horse hay.  Then all you'd need is someone to interpret what all those numbers mean - lol lol

As long as nobody is stiff on the front or back, or nobody is "stumping" when they walk, I wouldn't worry about joint supplements, just yet.  My Arab will be 28 in April; were it not for a vertebra injury before I rescued him 20+ years ago, he would not need any arthritis supplements.  He has the best legs and joints of anyone in the pasture.

If you can only afford one thing, I would give serious consideration to a high quality probiotic.  Horses have the worst domestic animal digestive tract on the planet and it does not get better with age - lol

kckc

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 09:59:36 am »

have any probiotics you recommend?
NC

PAWalker

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 05:30:57 am »

have any probiotics you recommend?

There are two that work on my Arab's "liquidy" butt.  He doesn't have a true case of the runny bums but would always have a bit of liquid seepage, for lack of a better description.

1.  Daily Start is a pre/probiotic that has to be ordered.  http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16165

2.  Probios is for all livestock and also does an excellent job eliminating my Arab's liquid butt.  It also has worked wonders on the 19 yo TWH with some puzzling digestive tract issues.  This horse is a long story and has left the vet scratching his head.  He's a horse that will put anything in his mouth.  I think he ate a few of those tiny pieces of hay twine that often breaks loose from the main binder string and husbands don't go looking for them, like wives do :-X

Probios is made up of live viable micro-organisims, my feed store will order it for me, at no extra cost, it works as well as "Daily Start", so I stick with it, for now.  This is a great product for folks who also have other livestock and dogs can also have it.

Main Page:  http://www.probios.com/   then click on "PRODUCTS".  The "equine" tab has a few things to look at.

I buy Probios in the powder form and feed it to three of the horses.   The fourth horse has hind gut ulcers and is on "Succeed".  That stuff costs $3/day to feed and is not something to waste money on, unless there are serious/extraneous issues like hind gut ulcers or somebody that seriously shows/events wants a preventative.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:33:45 am by PAWalker »

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 06:39:39 pm »

I also quite feeding grain three yrs. ago and went with a diet balancer made to be feed with grass hay. It is pricey and hard to come by know one in my area carries it, so I have to really plan ahead. But the horses thrive on it. They have never looked better or healthier my Vey. Wanted to know what I was doing. She was thrilled with the results.

G84me

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »

I also quite feeding grain three yrs. ago and went with a diet balancer made to be feed with grass hay. It is pricey and hard to come by know one in my area carries it, so I have to really plan ahead. But the horses thrive on it. They have never looked better or healthier my Vey. Wanted to know what I was doing. She was thrilled with the results.

And the NAME of this product is what???  Inquiring minds want to know!!

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

Iceangel

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 07:38:50 am »

I have looked into different alternatives in my area.  I think I am going to go with Triple Crown pelleted 30% Equine Supplement. It has probiotics in it and for ponies(Icelandic's) you only feed 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound. I remember years back Horse Journal did a comparison and rated this product very highly. Thanks for all the replies!

kckc

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 08:01:03 am »

I thought I looked at TC once before and it had molasses or was a sweet feed.... do you know?
NC

Iceangel

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 08:38:00 am »

It says it has some in the ingredients but here is the chart that looks into carbohydrate levels for insulin resistant ect. The one I am looking at is the TC30. it looks fairly low?

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/articles/horse-food-carbohydrate-values-triple-crown-horsefood/

PAWalker

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 11:12:44 am »

While is a magnanimous effort for the producers of ration balancers and bagged feed to say their product has probiotics in it, call the company and ask them if the probiotics are "live viable", how many CFU's per pound of feed, is it made from yeast, yeast culture, or bacteria?

To say your feed "has probiotics" is not necessarily cause for a good night's sleep.  It's a step in the right direction but nothing I would breath easy about, if my horse needs Pre/probiotics.

As usual, don't take my word; you will have to read quite a ways before you get to the important numbers :D

http://holistichorse.com/horse-health/nutrition/2097-equine-nutrition-what-are-probiotics-and-how-do-they-work

^^^THIS is why I try to feed the highest quality Probiotic I can afford, that doesn't have useless fillers in it.  Oftentimes when folks say the probiotic they bought is worthless, that's why --- they bought something with fillers and the CFU's are likely way too low :D

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 11:22:50 am »

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something or missing something, but I wanted to say we LOVE equipride, it's awesome and did wonders for our horses. :) 
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:14 pm »

I use FORCO as a prebiotic. RationPlus is another, but I have to get is mail order. These things are expensive and need to be. It isn't easy to get billions of live micro-organisms into a horse's gut. Note how tricky parasites have to be. It's like 3 or 4 steps to get a live cell into the intestine.

All the pre/probiotic in the world won't help with poor manure, gas and bloat from hay that is too high in certain kinds of fiber. I tried for several months to solve the problems of gas, bloat, and some runny manure around the regular manure caused by a timothy hay. I used FORCO (spendy stuff at 2 oz/day for 2 horses). For hay geeks, the timothy had NDF of 53%. The best hay for horses has NDF of 40-50%. Anyway, switching to a different hay with NDF of 48.5% made all the difference. No need to continue with FORCO, manure perfect, even with the old girl who is more susceptible to digestive upset.

Cass

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 02:05:31 pm »

Then all you'd need is someone to interpret what all those numbers mean - lol lol

Go to ECIRhorse.org to find a trained person to interpret your hay results and calculate the needed vitamins & minerals for your horse.  It's not expensive and your horse is worth it. 
  I did and my horse is doing very well now.  Marilyn
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.

countryclips

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »

Hs 35 is a wonderful supplement..  I have talked with the folks who make it and they are very experienced and knowledgeable .  It does have a probiotic and 35 minerals.  I live father North than you so can't easily get it, but have fed it for years...  I would say stick with it if you are having good results.
What a wonderful life I've had!  I only wish I had realized it sooner!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up