verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 1119 times)

Iceangel

Supplements
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:13:40 am »

I am thinking of changing my girls feed.  They are all around 800 pounds and very easy keepers.  None of them have any IR problems.  I feed a good grass hay 6 months of the year and they are on pasture the rest of the year. All they need are their vitamins and minerals.  A probiotic and a joint supplement would be a bonus.  I would like it to be as reasonably priced as can be but still be a really good supplement/grass balancer.

TN Trail Rider

Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:58:56 am »

I feed Purina's Enrich 12.  It's a pelleted vitamin mix designed to be fed with grass and/or hay.  They do quite well on it.  It's quite expensive -- like $30 for a 50# bag, but you feed only a small amount.  I feed 1/2 lb in the summer when the grass is good and about 1# in the winter.  This winter, because I have crappy hay, I'm adding about 1/2# oats to it.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »

Enrich 12 is a ration balancer for high quality, legume (alfalfa) hay. Enrich 32 (renamed Enrich+30) is for average quality grass hay. Both are good supplements, but they don't include probiotics. I think if you want a joint supplement, you'll need to feed that separately.

generallee

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:56:54 pm »

I am feeding my horse, pony & mini, THRIVE horse feed. It is a outstanding grain. I like it so much I am in a co-op getting the grain shipped to me in CT. The grain is made in Texas. They have a website. I also give my horse a joint supplement from Springtime. Dale (maker of Thrive) suggests not to add any supplements to the grain, but I had the joint supplement already. I feed less what is mentioned and they are all looking great. This grain is taking off in New England with really great results. No gmo's, my horses LOVE it!

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »

Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

kckc

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:00:13 pm »

How much is the thrive costing you?  At the recommended 4 lbs per day per 1000lbs per horse I would be feeding a 40lb bag every 2 days.  Whew.... 
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:12 am »

Enrich 12 is a ration balancer for high quality, legume (alfalfa) hay. Enrich 32 (renamed Enrich+30) is for average quality grass hay. Both are good supplements, but they don't include probiotics. I think if you want a joint supplement, you'll need to feed that separately.

Well said! I called Purina a few years ago to discuss this exact topic and have been using Enrich 32, aka Enrich Plus, ever since. Yes, the bag is expensive. But, we use about a regular coffee cup (I'd guess 12 ounces by volume) per horse, twice a day. That plus our just average grass hay is all we feed. Well, Himalayan rock salt blocks, too. Our horses do very well on this.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

PAWalker

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:28 am »

Vitamin/Minerals:  Consider feeding a condensed vit/min supplement that only requires 1 - 2 ounces daily.  It can be mixed with water into a cup of timothy pellets.  Valley Vet has a really good offering of this type of vitamin.

Probiotics:  I swear by Priobios; three of my four horses use it.  Nothing good is cheap but the expensive products generally don't require you feed as much because they aren't full of useless fillers.  I open a capsule of cinnamon and mix with the Probios & timothy pellets to get two of the horses to eat it.

Joint supplement is whatever works for your horse's specific issues. My 27 yo Arab is on 99% pure chondroitin/msm; he has arthritis in his back from an ancient vertebra injury. 

My 26 yo TWH has hock/ankle arthritis and insulin issues.  I recently switched him from powdered Hylarin/Boswelia to liquid LubriSyn HA.  He's 2/3rds of the way thru a 32 oz bottle and it seems to be doing more for him than the powder did; even in those minus temps we had last week.

Again, nothing good is cheap but the expensive products generally don't require you feed as much because they aren't full of useless fillers.

generallee

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:57:45 am »

I was paying $28 for 1 40# bag of Thirve. Because of the co-op which we are still working out, it will be less. My 16 hand, 1200 lb TWH is getting 3lbs total a day. one bag lasts me about 10 days including a pony and mini. Because it is such a pure grain with no fillers, they do really well on it. They loose the round belly and gain lean muscle. The true test is my mini who is as round as tall, he started it 1 month ago and only get 1/4 lb total a day. They tend to eat less hay because they are content, but that being said, my guys have hay infront of them always. especially that it has been so cold in CT.

MyBoyG

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:32:55 pm »

I use Nutrena Empower Balance as well.  I feed 1/4 scoop in summer, 1/2 scoop in winter 2x a day, along with 7 good size flakes of grass hay per day.  Here's a run down and nutrient levels:

Concentrated nutrient levels allow for low feeding rates.
    High-quality protein with guaranteed amino acid levels to support muscle maintenance and health
    Added prebiotics and probiotics aid in nutrient digestion
    Organic trace mineral complexes for increased bioavailability, immune system support and
    protein utilization
    Guaranteed levels of biotin help support muscle, hair coat and hoof development.
    Designed to provide support for the nutritional needs of horses with insulin resistance Cushing’s
    Syndrome.
    A highly palatable pellet promotes consistent intake and prevents sorting of ingredients.

Feed Empower® Balance Supplement to:

Easy keepers and overweight horses
    Miniature horses and ponies
    Horses requiring nutritional support for insulin resistance or Cushing’s Syndrome.

Smart Grain Formulation®
Nutrient    -      Level
Crude Protein    30.0%
Lysine    2.2%
Methionine    0.6%
Threonine    1.2%
Crude Fat    5.0%
Crude Fiber    max. 8.0%
Dietary Starch*    max. 8.0%
Sugar*    max. 6.0%
Calcium    3.0% - 3.5%
Phosphorus    1.5%
Copper    250 ppm
Zinc    750 ppm
Selenium    2.5 ppm
Vitamin A    18,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D    1,800 IU/lb
Vitamin E    600 IU/lb
Biotin    1.5 mg/l

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

kckc

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:16 pm »

I'd like to try the thrive - would have to try it on one horse to see it work before feeding it to all.  wonder if my southern states co-op would purchase some for me to try...
NC

generallee

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:49 pm »

Look in the Thrive website to see if there is a dealer near you. I have had my horse on empower balance and triple crown lite. I have become a label reader and I am most happy and impressed with Thrive. It is worth getting a co-op together to get this grain.

2gaits

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:24:15 pm »

I use platinum performance. You can order whatever mix your horse needs.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:49 pm »

MyBoyG, what do you consider a "scoop"?? I am trying to get an idea as to what volume you feed per horse per day.  I am feeding mine about a pound I think it is, which works out to roughly a very heaping 2 cup measuring cup per horse per day. (I do however, feed it all in one meal, rather than dividing it up into 2.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:30:21 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

MyBoyG

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:39 am »

Mona, I use a. 3 qt scoop like this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27094 So right now he's on 3 qts. a day.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up