Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ADVENTURES OF ME & G  (Read 1415 times)

MyBoyG

• View Profile
ADVENTURES OF ME & G
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:21 pm »

I really like this idea.  It's kinda neat to have one place to just put your day to day feelings, accomplishments or just plain stuff!

Sunday 10/20/07 ~ Back tracking a little.  I finally got time to take G out for a nice 2.5 hour trail ride.  We were all by ourselves which was fine by me, as I consider this time "church" when I get quiet time to reflect and talk to God.  The ultimate Cowboy church, lol.  Anyway, this was what I found paddling along the CT river.  It's the first time I've ever seen them this far north on the river, never mind finding two pair!

In case you can't see clearly, they're swans!  It was a pretty sight.

Later that day I finally started a project I've been putting off for some time now.  About 6 years ago a friend of my in-laws in Florida decided to give us a metal carousel Horse that she had gotten from a carny worker years ago.  Because we got married on a carousel she thought we were the right people to give it too.  We named her Bonnie after her benefactor but I have to admit that I've hated the paint job from the first day.  Anyway, I finally got to begin stripping the paint and I just love the way she looks just plain "naked".

Hubby wants me to repaint her, but I'm not sure I'd do her justice.  Once the paint is thoroughly stripped we're going to take her to the carousel museum in New Britain and talk to the restoration people.  If its not terribly expensive, I may have them do it, simply because they do phenominal work.  I'm sure I could do an okay job, but now that I see how pretty she really is I don't want to take anything away from her.

Saturday 10/25/07 ~ Went to the barn after dinner and trimmed/rasped G's front hooves and cleaned up his frogs and soles.  Sure wish I could do all four hooves at once, but only doing this once every 4-6 weeks the muscles I use are back to being lazy again and I go through the pain all over again, lol!  I'm happy with how his hooves are coming along and can see where taking a little bit extra off the rear quarters has relieved the pressure.  It truly amazes me what those rings on their hooves can tell you.  Like looking at the inside of a tree.

Sunday 10/26/07 ~ Heading to the barn shortly, as it's "barn cleaning day".  Most of us will be there and we'll finish up with pizza and sodas when we're done!  This is the 2nd year we've picked a rainy day to do this, which means we can't power wash cause nothing will dry.   One thing I know for sure, I will come home tired.  But a good tired.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
Re: ADVENTURES OF ME & G
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »

Wednesday, 10/31/07:

We're back to dressage lessons, so winter must be on its way (boo hoo).  I asked Deb to work with us on longing before we did any saddle work, as I was having a little bit of an issue with G trying to duck out of walking/trotting over the ground poles.  So she watched for a few minutes and immediately noticed that when G would start to move in toward me I didn't move my longe whip to his shoulder to drive him back out.  Oh?  That's what I'm supposed to do huh?!?  Works like butter, lol.  Really, something so simple and problem solved.  We worked for about 20 minutes and I really felt alot more confident with the lines and whip when we were done.  Oh, she also confirmed for me that I was using the side reins properly, which made me feel better.

After ground work we did about a half hour of saddle work.  She had us working on doing 10 meter circles where instead of staying on the circle, you make half the circle and then leg yield over to the opposite side and then back out in the other direction.  That probably doesn't paint any pictures, so think of an "S" lol.  I have no idea if this exercise has a name, but what I liked about it is that it involves a lot of switching of your seat, hand and leg aids.  So not only did G get a work out, but me too!  We finished off by running through the Level 1 Test for gaited horses a couple of times and that was fun.  I really need to pay closer attention to the arena letter placement and start working on accuracy.  Who said dressage is easy?  Phew, it's a lot to think about!

Friday, 11/2/07

Had the arena reserved for 30 minutes tonight so we worked on longing again and working the ground poles.  G cracks me up.  After cantering he will do this wonderful floating trot, but I've yet to figure out how to get him to do it on my command.  I do use the word trot when he does, and cluck to the time of his gait.  So he's walking along and I ask him to pick it up aaaand Trot.  Nope, he canters , he approaches the ground poles aaand he jumps over them!  Oye.  Back to walking.  After he settled in a bit, I finally got him to trot over them several times in both directions.  I know TROT, dirty word, but he looks sooo smooth when he does.   We finished off the evening just walking around the arena together.  It's such a relaxing time.  Plus that's when I get my therapy ~ I talk, he listens.  I always tells him that God put us together for a reason...to take care of one another and keep each other safe.  And I really believe that.  In these quiet moments we spend together, when I see him totally relaxed and at ease, and I hear those soft sighs of his, I've come to realize that this was one of my missions in life.  The feeling doesn't get any better than that to me. 

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 03:02:05 pm »

NOVEMBER 11, 2007
We started our day mighty early this morning. We call it "0 dark 30". I think we could've slept in a little but I didn't want to feel hurried in any way. I just wanted the whole experience to be a relaxing one.

G was his ornary self about loading in the trailer ~ I think I wanna - one hoof in, but no never mind, okay I'll try - two hooves in, but I don't like it. After the 4th or 5th request (I forget) he finally got all four hooves in and walked up to his manger for breakfast. Okay, so there is a reason to start early!

Pulled into the Expo center at 7:45 to find out the office didn't open until 8:00. We opened up the trailer window and out pops this big ole head and he starts a whinneying ~ "Hey who's out there?" nothing, he calls again and this time he gets a response. I swear if he coulda climbed out of the window he would've. I got a bit nervous at this point as he really looked wound up and just kept calling and calling. We managed to get checked in and found the daily horse parking and when we opened the trailer doors we were overtaken by the smell of pee and poop! Nasty!! This is when it's really nice to have a groom with you :lol All I can say is I was thinking straight when I braided and bagged his tail, cause "icky pooh" not pretty.

I manage to take down his tail, brush it out and decide I should clean his rear hooves when I hear "honey, he's gonna pooo...." and with that I hear splat splat splat and at that point I don't want to look. Luckilly he only managed to hit the rear sleeve of my jacket; the bottom hem of my jods; and of course my right Ariat terrain. Yep, he's a bit nerved up.

However he's happily eating hay, so I put him on a 12' lead and took him over to the grassy area to move him around before heading into a stall for 3 hours. Hubby snapped this pic....

Dianne the president of the NEWHA met us at the back door of the Stroh building to walk us to the stall. Now I'm aware that we will have to walk through the whole building to get to the stall so I'm preparing myself for a lengthy trip as he has to stop and stare and snort at everything....NOT! He didn't look cross eyed at anything; never stopped; snorted; or baulked. He just followed me right into the stall. Got him situated with hay and water and he did call out a few times, got an answer from a couple aisles over and with that he started munching hay. 15 minutes later he pooped, then pee'd and looked like he'd been in this place his whole life! 9:00 the doors open, and here come the peeps.

Yep there's a happy horse mom.

Hubby and I stood back against a column that was in the middle of the aisle in front of the booth and watched as folks came up and G pretty much had to stick his nose out the bars to get a scratch or a pet. A couple times when little kids came by too short to see into the stall I opened the door so they could get a look and a pet. Having never watched other people as they approached horses, it was really fun to watch. It made me extremely proud to see women just falling in love with him as they stroked his nose and talked quietly to him and when they pulled away they had this wonderful smile on their faces. I know that look! I got it the first time I looked into those big soft eyes of his. And you could see that he was soaking it all up! Strangely enough I even noticed a few men doing the same thing, lol. Something I did notice however is that people would walk up, look at the sign that read "New England Walking Horse Association" and they immediately looked down at his hooves and then back up to his face. I truly wondered if they were looking for plantation or platform shoes, as I believe that's what most folks do think of when they see Walking Horse. I did have a couple people ask what kind of shoes we wore and that's when I opened the door and showed his bare hooves. They seemed surprised. More surprised though when I said I do his tootsies myself, lol.

Oh, and we met ADKMTN (Joan) and her husband (oops, I forgot his name) from New York, who stopped by the booth. Another real nice couple, so we talked about Walkers and trail riding and hopefully I'll get a chance to meet up with them again tomorrow when I go back.

Well we signed up for a fifteen minutes slot at the small corraled area so he could stretch his legs. This is when our group from the barn showed up...a nice lady offered to take our picture. Left to right is JoAnn, G, Gina, Kate, Deb (my dressage instructor), Mary, Zeke and Hannah.

G just amazed me. He just loved meeting and greeting everyone as I answered questions about the breed and particulars about him. One woman asked if we do expos all the time and when I told her it was our first one she asked what we gave him. I'm like what? She said, "did you give him Quietex or something?". I laughed and said "nope, this is who he is". She was amazed. She then asked if he was "hot under saddle" cause that's what she's been told all Walkers are. So I explained that he really depends on the bloodlines of the particular horse; it's training and then the relationship between the horse and its owner. Yes, for the most part they are very forward thinking horses. And because their gait is faster than a normal walk some people associate it with "hot". G then fell in love with a little blonde girl in pink who was all of four years old. She showed him her stuffed pony; he sniffed it; she giggled; he sniffed her hair. It went on for a good 5 minutes. The little girls mom said "she's been raised with horses since birth, so she has no fear". I said it definitely showed and G was loving it. I wish Zeke had gotten a picture of the two of them, cause they were so cute.

And here I am the new poster girl for TWHBEA (or so hubby says) :lol

Our shift was over at noon so Diane walked us out and since I'm going back tomorrow afternoon, told her I'd stop by the booth. She asked if I thought we'd like to participate in the breed demo next year as well as the breed pavillion and I said "yes! I think we will be ready".

I can't say enough how proud I am of him. He took the whole thing in stride - even drank strange water!! Woohoo, lol. I know small thing, but after hearing stories about horses not drinking and getting sick, it's one of those things I worried about. We all had a long day; G was so happy to be turned back out in his paddock where he immediately rolled, and me? I spent three hours on the couch wrapped in my horsie comfy while I dozed on and off, lol. Little buckaroo had a busy, but a MOST EXCELLENT day!

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »

Sunday 11/11/07:

Today was an absolutely beautiful day and it would have been perfect for a nice long trail ride, but I decided I'd rather take the time to work with G in the round pen while all of Chris Irwin's principles were still fresh in my head.  I think our first issue is that the round pen is too small.  I believe its only 40' and I think that 60' would definitely be more appropriate for lunging at liberty.  G would probably feel less claustrophobic.

Since G hadn't been worked since Thursday morning (I worked him lightly before loading up for EA) and I've reduced the size of his turnout to plant fall seed, he was certainly full of himself.  I almost think that in cases like this I should just turn him loose and hang around outside and let him get some of his energy out.  All he wanted to do was canter at full speed, threw in some bucks and then kicked toward the center of the pen where I was standing.  That's when I used the end of the lunge whip to bite his butt and let him know that "momma horse" ain't putting up with that behavior.  Well it worked, as he didn't try it again.  However, even without the whip in my hand it took a good 15 minutes before I convinced him to slow down to a trot and another 5 for a walk.  That's when he wanted to come in.  NOPE!  He was licking and chewing but he came in with his head very high and defiant.  I sent him back out on the rail.  10 more minutes of cantering and trotting, he wants back in....licking and chewing  NOPE!  Still head high and defiant.  I drew him in and without the whip directed him back out on the rail and asked for walk.  Now we got walk!  But, he never truly relaxed and stretched out his topline, neck or poll.  I chaulked it up to being too wired and decided it was time to walk side by side and work on bending and staying out of my space.

This he excels at!  I lightly touch his cinch area, he bends his rib cage away from me and turns his head in.  It took him a few trys before he didn't bounce his head off my blocking hand (used to keep his head out of my space) as he's so used to getting cuddled and having his face rubbed.  I just rubbed his lower neck and continued working with body language.  We worked on this for another 15-20 minutes as we walked and he cooled down and dried off.  Man, I forgot how long it takes for winter hair to dry!

Monday 11/12/07:

Had planned on a 30 minute session of lunging in the arena tonight, but decided since he worked so hard yesterday that I'd simply ride him in the dressage saddle.  We just worked on walk transitions, serpentines, and setting him up to begin doing shoulder in and out again.  Our next lesson is on Saturday and I know this is something Deb wanted to work on.  Boy was G relaxed and responsive.  He loves his new HS aurigan (german gold) Bradoon bit.  He gets a nice amount of lipstick without over salivating.  The HS german silver (same mouthpiece) made his mouth a bit too wet for my liking.

I'm finally feeling like I have a better idea of how much contact to maintain both with the bit and with my legs.  I believe G is also beginning to be more physically able to seek the bit; and come into the bridle through his hindend.  I know I'm truly beginning to feel the difference.  I feel like its taken me forever, but when I trail ride I tend to relax sooo much that many times I'm not thinking about my legs and since I'm riding with a looser rein walking along the trail, it's easy to forget!  I also am getting a better understanding why it takes so long to become a good rider and a horse in shape to be physically able to perform higher level dressage moves (not that G ever will, lol).  There is a lot to it!  Looking down at the avatar picture of G which was taken the first year I owned him, I'm amazed at the difference in his neck today.  What a difference dressage has made!

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »

Saturday 11/17/07

We had our second dressage lesson for the season.  Deb was pretty pleased with how well G was bending and said that you could tell I'd continued working with him throughout the summer.  Worked on circles, 20 & 10 meters, leg yielding at walk from the quarter line to the rail, and stopping square followed by a rein back for three steps.  She's helping me get a better handle on being proactive in asking G to stay on the bit and I think he finally "totally" understands what my little pulses mean.  It used to be that the minute he felt rein pressure he would try to turn in that direction.  It's nice to finally have the awareness of all the body parts acting as one unit.  Next lesson is scheduled for Tues the 27th.

Monday 11/19/07

Managed to get a quick 20 minute ride in tonight.  Just worked on walking and bending and lots of relaxation.

Wednesday 11/21/07

Tonight was kind of fun.  My instructor was riding one of the boarders horses at the same time I was riding G.  I was working on some of the exercises she gave us to do (stop square/rein back) and the "S" turn with leg yields and was nice enough to give me a few pointers on my seat.  Having her show me on another horse rather than from the ground was really neat.  She really makes it all look so effortless!

Thursday 11/22/07

We scheduled the arena for "groom time" at 10 a.m. and while Zeke took care of it, I saddled up G and took to the trail.  Although I was riding in my western saddle I decided to use our dressage bridle to continue working on the same rein cues.  We were only out about an hour, but it was 60 degrees - partly sunny - and just a wonderful treat of a day.  G was very responsive and it was nice to work on his gait in long straight lines versus the arena.  He delivered a couple of wonderful collected rocking chair canters which really tickled me.  And when we turned from home, which is when he always gets right brained, it only took about 4 reminders to get him listening to me and to move at the speed I requested not his own...fly for home speed.  When we got to the long straight away that parallels the highway I was actually holding my reins "at the buckle" and he walked in a nice relaxed frame for the whole mile home.  This is an actual first for us!  So good boy G got untacked and brought out for some grass time before being put back in his paddock.  What a great way to start out our Thanksgiving.  God gave us a beautiful day; and G gave me a wonderful ride.

After we got cleaned up we headed up to his parents for dinner.  It was a wonderful afternoon; his dad is looking much better than he did this summer (the meds are starting to work, wahoo) and the whole family got some great "laugh" time together.  Since both my parents have passed, I feel so blessed to have been taken in by Zeke's parents and siblings.  They treat me as if I was one of their own, and it is a special gift I've received.  We stopped at my sisters on the way home, where all my nieces, nephews and their families had gathered and I think it finally struck me what we'll be missing when we move to Tennessee.  Maybe its part of the reason I don't feel rushed to get there.  As much as I want G in the front yard, and hubby to have a horse of his own, it's days like today that make me value family more than anything else in life

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 03:05:32 pm »

LuvMyBoys - 2007-11-23 4:39 PM

Ya know Kate, I can read your posts now and understand what you are talking about (rein back, 20 meter circles, quarter line). When you and Belinda used to say these things, I was like, HUH?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember when Holly used to post back on the old board and I found myself looking stuff up many times cause I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about, lol.  I'm so glad you're enjoying dressage.  Ain't it great?

Saturday 11/24/07

Extremely cold day today.  Well considering it was 65 on Thanksgiving, a high of 35 feels cold.  I decided rather than ride in the arena to take G out and ground drive him around the farm and on the oval track.  I haven't done this since early summer and was really pleased at how well he responded for me.  The only time he turned was when we first came out of the barn and I think I didn't have enough contact on my outside line, he turned and stopped.  He's looking at me like "what?"  So I corrected the lines and asked him to walk on.  Now I really know he likes this new bit.  Not only did he do awesome on the trail with it, he drove real well today.  We spent a good 30 minutes, all at the walk.  We did some figure eights and he stopped and stood stock still each time I cued him and again when I asked him to rein back.  Ahhhh, I really think our relationship is reaching another level.  And, I think we may be ready to start dragging things behind him in the arena.

I found a nice plastic sled on the side of the road that we're going to use to haul manure when we camp (THANKS JEANNE!) and I think this will be an easy thing to start with.  We can add a little weight using a cement block or something.  One of our fellow boarders just got a new cart about a month ago, and I think watching her drive around with it has got me excited to drive again.  She said she'd be happy to help us training G to drive if we'd like.  So I'm hoping if I can do much of the prep and desensitizing during the winter, maybe come spring time we can try a training cart.

Tomorrow is supposed to be upper 40's to 50, and since there's no hunting tomorrow I think we'll take another trail ride.  It'll be good for the soul.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 03:06:19 pm »

Sunday 11/25/07

Although it didn't get as warm as they said it would, it was pleasant enough to get in a good trail ride late morning.  Hit the trail just the two of us just before noon, and came back an hour and a half later.  It just felt so great to be on the trail, with the sun shining and birds everywhere.  I think they all know there are no hunters on Sundays, because they were out in full force.

When we approached the first marshy area we flushed out a Great Blue Heron.  He was about 20 or so yards  away from us, but I was so proud of G for not flinching, cause this is one heck of a big bird to fly up and away!  We gaited down the trail for about 1/2 mile and I brought him back to a walk.  Two minutes later I hear this clucking kinda cooing noise when out of the brush flys a male pheasant across the trail in front of us.  G flinched, but since this one was so close I can't expect any less, lol.  What a gorgeous bird!  The next animal we encountered is the worst of the lot.....an ATV, lol.  Actually, these guys are really considerate of us trail riders out back, since most of them have been raised around horses; and for the fact that I'm in an orange hunters vest and G is wearing a chest slinky in hunter orange, you can see us from a mile away.  I moved G off the trail and they proceeded by at a slow speed and waved.  They looked back a few times, I think to make sure we were far enough away for them to speed up again...cause off they went.  We probably encountered another 8 of these menacing creatures, but each time I would take G out into the fields (where they aren't supposed to ride) to let them pass.  We all waved and it made me feel good that we're sharing the trails and playing "nicely" together.

I had trimmed G's frogs up a bit yesterday afternoon and he was acting a bit ouchy in the front on the gravel.  Note to self:  don't trim his frogs when you're planning on trail riding the next day.  This is only our second time out on the trail without the front boots so I'm pleased at how it's going.  The last ride he was fine on all the terrain.  So, he's getting a little ouchie...feeling like he's tip toeing over the stones.  So what comes next?  He wants to head home and head home now.

It took a little more than 4 reminders that he was listening to me, and luckily we were out in the open field which allowed me to work some good size circles and serpentines.  Within 10 minutes he realized he wasnt' getting any closer to his destination so he relaxed and off we walked through the woods.  Again I gave him a loose rein and held them low and to the sides so he could really relax and stretch his head down as he walked.  And walk he did all the way home!  What a good boy!

We have a lesson at 7:00 on Wednesday and with some luck we can get some more trail time in before real winter hits us!  (Ugh they are predicting real snow for us next Monday)

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 03:07:13 pm »

Monday 11/28/07

We had a 7:00 lesson tonight with Deb.  I haven’t ridden or worked G since our Sunday trail ride so he was a bit up while I was grooming and tacking him up.  He settled down rather quickly once I mounted up and warmed him up.  He seems to enjoy stretching out during our warm ups now as opposed to being totally up and ready to run from the get go.  On the downside, he then tends to tune out my leg a little (first you want me to relax; now you want me up?  Whatzzz up wid that?)  So with everything else we’re reminding him what hot off the leg means.  Used to be I had to barely touch him and he was like a rocket.  I guess we need to find the middle road.  Deb did tell me that G is a lot like her horse Shadow (a Missouri Fox Trotter).  He’s got a high opinion of himself (and self preservation) and therefore doesn’t yield to things as easily as many horses would.  It will just take more time to convince him that what we’re asking isn’t putting his life in jeopardy and that momma knows best!  She said Shadow is now extremely yielding and supple, but it did take years of work.

Deb had us work on different things – lots of lateral work; and we began specific exercises for suppling al la Jane Savoie’s methods (indirect rein/turn the key).  We worked in squares turning the corners with turns on the forehand and leg yielding.  Deb said G did the turn on the forehand better than any horse she works with at our barn.  Wahoo that sure made me feel good.  G really tries so hard to please me and it feels great to finally feel like some of my communication is becoming more second nature.  Some of the maneuvers I have to really think about before executing, but when I do something without consciously thinking about it...that’s the best.

For canter transitions she now has me working on coming down the center line, leg yielding to the wall, cueing for canter at the rail, and the moment I get the transition ~ begin a 20 meter circle and ask for walk when I’ve traversed about  ½ - ¾ of the circle.  I was getting more lift in G’s front and you could feel the difference in the power from his hind end.  The lesson ran 75 minutes, which is 30 minutes longer than normal!  Deb was so pleased with how fast and well we were picking things up she got carried away.

So we have lots more to work on for the next two weeks until our next lesson.  It’s supposed to turn colder with the possibility of snow next week, so it will make for good “indoor” riding and maybe a little ground driving.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 03:08:26 pm »

Monday 12/3/07

Well a week has past, and I was only able to work G on the lunge two days out of seven, argh!  It's been wicked cold here and I've been coming down with something this past week.  Don't know what, but it has taken the wind out of my sails.  It's probably not helping that work is crazy this time of year, with open enrollments for benefits, year end and of course the holidays.  Just doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day or days in the week.  As my SP can attest, my short term memory is being taxed, lol.  I'm hoping its just too much coming at me all at once, rather than my age sneaking up on me....that would not be funny.  Well yeah, I'm sure my mom is looking down from heaven just laughing her butt off ~ I told 'ya it would happen to you too!  Thanks mom.  So its probably a good thing I haven't been able to ride, as I'm sure my concentration would be off and I really don't need to confuse the heck out of him too.  Hopefully now that enrollments are out of my hands until the first of the year things will settle a little.

We put the Christmas tree up on Saturday, and it instantly warmed the living room.  I don't do much holiday decorating, but our tree is really special.  We used to have two - the artificial one upstairs in the southwest motif bedroom done up with cowboys, indians & angels and a real one downstairs in Victorian style ornaments.  We finally decided to stick with the artificial one downstairs, which really is a whole lot easier when it comes time to put them away.  I always look so forward to putting them up, but hate to take them down.   So now our tree is loaded with cowboys, indians, angels, horses (of course) my Christopher Radko Santas and Victorian style ornaments.  I love it.  Something about red & green that just makes me feel at peace!

Last night we got hammered with freezing rain.  We lost power momentarily (thank goodness) as other folks weren't so lucky.  It's been raining and snowing on and off all day, but I have to say things looked a whole lot icier when I got home.  As pretty as it is when everything is encased in ice, it is the worst that winter can offer.  I'd much rather take a couple feet of snow over ice any day.  Tonight the wind is supposed to pick up and continue through tomorrow, so we'll say a quick prayer that we keep power and much needed heat.  Hopefully I'll get to the barn tomorrow night and get in a short ride at least....I think we could both use one!

Monday 12/10/07:

Another week has passed and I didn't get much riding in - between the cold and on again off again icy weather I just haven't felt "up" enough to deal with it.  I'm finding Chris Irwin was right, winter is a great time to long line and ground drive.  It gets your horse moving as well as you!  It sure keeps me warmer than riding.  I think I'm finding it a little depressing this year, simply because last year was so wonderful and we were still riding the trails through the New Year.  Reality bites....but it's New England after all.

Since we'd shortened up G's paddock for the winter, he doesn't have anything to nibble on and we found that he had decided to start stripping one of the fence posts.  Mr. Beaver on one side, and his fence buddy Missy Beaver on the other.  After a good dosing of Irish Spring soap I broke down and bought a Pony Pop holder that mounts to the tubular gate.  I'm only putting in one pop a week, but man oh man is it keeping him busy.  Of course he has the molasses mess on his nose that needs cleaning every couple of days.  But since it makes him happy and keeps him out of trouble it's the price I have to pay.

I did manage a nice 40 minute workout in the arena yesterday.  G is really getting good at leg yields and transitioning into a canter on the proper lead.  Okay, maybe it's me that's really getting good at it!  However, yesterday I failed to check his cinch a third time and 20 minutes into our session I put a little extra weight into one stirrup and all of a sudden I feel myself listing over to the right.  Normally, this wouldn't be a problem as I'd simply reposition my weight.  But nope...Friday night was our Holiday party and I was in charge of taking pictures.  I must've squat down to take pictures at the tables at least 40 times, which meant I had to get up from those squats!  Talk about feeling like I had a heck of a work out.  My left leg felt like dead weight.  So slowly my body worked its way down G's side onto the ground, having grabbed his neck to help break the fall.  All I can say is thank goodness we were walking; the arena is deep soft sand right now; and even with me letting go of the rein G backed up slightly and stood still until I got up and dusted myself off.  Not the same horse as 4.5 years ago.  Not that he really had anywhere to go, but this is something that would normally have sent him into a tail spin.   So no aches and pains today, thank goodness since tonight we continue our holiday shopping.

Hopefully we'll have another lesson on Saturday and I'll get at least one night this week to ride some of the patterns we worked on.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »

Saturday 12/29/07:

It's hard to believe that Christmas has already come and gone and it's been raining here since midnight.  I really dislike the cold rain and find it funny that I would actually prefer the snow.  New Years Eve looks like a snow event which means we won't be doing First Night in the city this year.  It's always a lot of fun, between comedians and musicians, jugglers and acrobats.  It's just so nice to see families out in the city enjoying themselves.

We spent Christmas eve with hubby's parents and his dad is doing so much better on the new medication they have him on.  Although his two brothers were absent, his three sisters and their families were there and we spent much of the evening laughing.  It's a fun group and I feel so very blessed to be a part of his family.  Christmas day hubby and I opened our presents and I went to the barn to get in a 30 minute Christmas ride.  Although it was indoors, it was still a ride.  We feasted on baked stuffed shrimp and rib eye steaks (yum) and hung out on the couch under the blankets watching movies.  My sister, BIL, nephew and great nephew came over for Swedish apple pie and ice cream around 6:00 and me and sis exchanged gifts.  We're the only two siblings that still do this, but it's something neither of us wants to give up and we always manage to find something that represents our bond in some way.  All in all it was a wonderful holiday.

We had a lesson last Wednesday and G is doing very well.  We're still working on shoulder in and he's doing really really good.  It's been nice to see how loosening his shoulders has affected his suppleness and gait.  We also continued working on canter transitions and getting more "leap" from G.  He's finally figured out that the dressage whip is not a tool to be beaten with but simply a reminder to listen to my leg.  Used to be I'd have to put the whip down several times during the lessons as he would get all nerved up.  I'm hoping he's all over it now.  Deb had me remind him a few times that he was supposed to listen to me and not do what he thinks he should be doing, lol.  He's so funny, as after doing a manuveur he thinks I'm going to ask for the same thing again and jumps into it.  For instance, we come down the quarter line and leg yield to the rail, once at the rail I ask for canter and as soon as I get it, we do a 20 meter circle.  Well, the next time we did the leg yield without me asking it lept into the canter.  So the next time around I made him walk, and the next time.  The third time I asked for canter.  He'll do the same thing when we do turn on the forehand.  I cue him once, he steps over and then another step.  He anticipates everything.  I suppose its better than him not wanting to do it, but we're working on changing up as much as possible to keep him guessing.

Our offices were closed for the week so I've been able to spend time at the barn and doing a little scrapping and playing with photos/banners.  I won't go back to work until Weds the 2nd and it will be difficult to say the least.  I think I could stand being a lady of leisure, lol.  I think I'm going to hang out and scrap today simply because its raw and damp outside.  G can be a horse of leisure today.

I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year and 2008 brings you joy and prosperity!

Monday, January 7, 2008

UGH! Today was the first Monday in three weeks that I actually had to get up at 6:00 a.m.  I think I could get used to having 11 days off once a month.  Seeing that last week was only a 3-day work week, this is going to be one looooong week.

After a week of bitter cold, it started to warm up last Friday.  Saturday was in the low 40’s so I managed to get a short ride in.  After tacking up, I took G into the arena and lunged him for 15 minutes.  During that time we had four ice/snow slides off the arena roof and each time G went sideways at least 5 steps.  That’s when I decided I’d rather ride him outside than inside, lol.  So I walked him outside, mounted up and we found a fairly dry snow free spot to do a little work.  We worked on turning on the forehand in both directions and for the first time, I tried shoulder in without an arena wall to guide us.  He did really well I thought.  Of course walking on uneven ground is a little tougher than in the indoor.  I only worked with him about 20 minutes and called it a day.  Came home and did some house work and off we went to our friends "band" holiday party.  It's always a lot of fun and laughter, although there is always way too much food.  Needless to say we stayed up past our bedtime and got to sleep in a little late Sunday.

Hubby and I went to Cabelas on Sunday as we both received gift cards.  The Leatherman tool he wants wasn’t in stock, but I managed to find a neat “horsie” sweater and a pair of Wrangler jeans.  Next stop WallyWorld!  He went to the sporting goods section while I hunted down scrapbooking items.  We managed to spend all the funds in one fell swoop.   Came home, wrapped myself up in my fleece blanket and watched movies for the rest of the afternoon.  .Hard to imagine that we’re in the midst of playoffs and the Superbowl is right around the corner already!  I sure wish we could stretch out the football season, but it’s such a physically demanding sport, I can’t imagine the players wanting to play an additional month, lol.

With the onset of January come all the wonderful annual physical exams.  I get to see my Endocrinologist tomorrow and my OB/GYN on Friday.  I have to schedule my regular doc and my mammogram still.

We have a dressage lesson on Wednesday night so I’ve got the arena booked for 7:00 tonight to practice some more of our figures.  The temps should hit the low 50’s today – woohoo!  Hopefully I’ll remember the figures we worked on at the last lesson.

Thursday I have an appointment to get my hair cut.  I’ve never had my hair this long ever – it is nearing my waist; and as much as I love it, it really is a PITA.  I have to wear it up when I sleep; with winter fleece wear comes static electricity and some days I feel like Medusa.  Although it’s straight, it manages to find its way everywhere – UGH and tangles?  Luckily they’re not as bad as G’s wind knots, but close!  Plus at work if I don’t put it up or braid it I’m forever leaning against it and when I go to move, it gets pulled.  I’ve decided not to go short, as I’d still like to put it in a small bun or ponytail – I guess I’ll know come Thursday.  I’m hoping I’ll have enough to send to Locks of Love.  Although they can’t use it for the children’s wigs (mostly grey) they can sell it and use the funds in the wig making process.  I love the thought that my hair can help others in some way rather than simply being swept into a garbage can.

Hopefully with a full week of “other” stuff the work week will pass fairly quickly.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »

Friday 1/25/08:

Wow, almost a month has gone by since I last journaled!  I guess I've been so busy posting and trying to catch up with everything that I kind of forgot it :O

I almost feel like I've finally caught up on all the sleep I missed out on last week ~ though I'm still struggling a little at work trying to catch up on things.  I consider myself extremely fortunate that I work for two very considerate guys who understand that G is my "kid" and that I needed to be there to take care of him.  Neither one of them understood the true gravity of the situation and were quite suprised when I explained about colic and what we went through.

He's been improving daily, but I have some new concerns.  I went to the barn tonight and found two flakes of really green grassy hay in his stall for dinner.  He was happily munching away, but since I didn't see this hay in there yesterday, I immediately scooped out 3/4 of it and switched it out with the hay he had yesterday.  I couldn't find any other bales of hay like it in the barn so I'm not sure where it came from.  Every night different boarders pitch in and help hay the stalls; put grain in their bins and top off water buckets.  I think I know who hayed tonight and I'm really surprised that she would throw this hay simply because I thought she was smarter than this.  I was going to call the barn owner and thought I should wait until my head was clear and since Fridays are usually a stressful day for her I thought I'd wait until tomorrow.

We really need to get all the boarders together and explain the importance of transitioning hay ~ ESPECIALLY those that have just gone through colic episodes!  Either that or the barn owner needs to let everyone know that they can't hay until she is there or she does it herself.  I know everyone is just trying to help, but heck I haven't even gotten the first bill for colic treatment, I certainly don't need G colicing again!  I'm not sure I have the strength to go through that again - not this soon at least.  ARGH!  Sorry I needed to vent a little.

Tomorrow we have a dressage lesson at 2:00 which I'm really looking forward to.  G is moving so well in the new saddle and I just feel so comfortable in it.  Hopefully the temps will creep into the mid 30's by then!  I cannot wait for spring ~ winter just plain stinks!!

There just seems to be so many bad things involving board members lately and only a small handful of great things.  So I'm trying to focus on those where I can.  Like Keeper arriving in Missouri!  I can't wait to see pics from their first ride together.  And Steph going to Cheryl's to check out HVH ~ I was hoping he'd still be at the farm when we visit in a couple months.  Well hopefully more positive things will happen; spring will arrive soon and folks will be happy to get outside and play with their horses again!  Think SPRING!!!

Tuesday 1/29/08

Had a wonderful lesson on Saturday.  We got the two thumbs up from our instructor on the new saddle.  She agreed that G looked more relaxed and more connected Saturday and she likes my body position in this saddle much better.

We worked on a couple of new exercises.  One being a pentagon shaped 20' meter circle (boy thats an oxymoron).  You would walk three steps on the bend of the circle and then straighten for three steps, bend three steps, walk straight three steps.  Part of the exercise is to help rider and horse on switching the aids and I think also to supple the horse.

The other exercise was done at the walk and canter.  She set up two cones to set up a 6' lane between B X and E.  Tracking counter clockwise when we turned left to go through the lane I would leg yield G to the left and then once through the cones bend and turn him to the left and do a 10 meter circle back toward the lane. The next pass through I would leg yield G to the right, turn right and do a 10 meter circle back toward the lane, and now leg yield left, turn left.  So it was kind of like doing a nice round figure 8.  Once we got the pattern down, she had me transition to the canter when we turned left but then continue the walk to the right.  G's transition to canter got better each time we did this and I could definitely feel more lift and lightness in the forehand and more power in the hind.  After doing this 5-6 times we switched and tracked clockwise.

We've finally graduated from Shoulder Fore to Shoulder In.  G is truly getting more supple and boy do these exercises do wonders for his gait!   I see the half pass on the horizon, lol!

Going to the barn directly after to work to practice these two exercises again.  I'm looking forward to 40+ degrees, woohoo!  (boy that's sad)

Looking forward to Superbowl Sunday coming up.  It would be quite an accomplishment if the Pats win this one, it would be one for the record books.  But I remember the first year Tom Brady won the Superbowl and they were the under dogs.  I never take anything for granted, as it's always the team that plays the best and wants the ring the most.  GO PATRIOTS!!!

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:13:30 pm »

Monday February 4, 2008

Hard to believe that it's February already.  Wasn't it just Christmas?  Seems like it anyway.

Things at work have been a bit crazed of late.  We've had a lot of old timers leave and have hired some young blood (I see this as a good thing) but today it was announced that our President & CEO was resigning.  Apparently our investor (my boss, the owner) wants to see a change in focus for our company and apparently they didn't see eye-to-eye on how to achieve that.  I feel so bad, as he's a wonderful guy.  Probably the best dad in the world from all the things I saw of his interaction with his kids over the past 10 years and conversations we've had.  He will be greatly missed.  On the flip side, my in-house boss the CFO is being promoted to the CEO position to set up the new business plan and handle the reorganization.  It's already been said that there will be more layoffs, but that the company will be handing out severance packages and setting up retention packages for those of us who continue on.  Oye ~ this will be the fourth reorganization I've been through in the 17.5 years I've been with the firm.  Although I think my job is secure for the moment ~ since like my boss I do everything from HR to IT, I don't know what the next year will hold.  One thing is for certain, it has me thinking more about what I need to do to be able to pack up and get out of Dodge if something happens!  It would definitely be the kick in the pants we need to get to Tennessee :)

Since I had a stressful day I thought it would be a good opportunity to go work with G on the ground after work.  It's been awhile since we played Parelli games and did anything other than ride or lunge.  So tonight I brought out the cow barrels and laid them down end to end against the wall, and put down two ground poles to kind of simulate a chute.  I figured I would ask G to walk to the barrel, sniff it and walk away.  Well, he immediately felt pressured cause this is how I used to set up the small jump.  He wouldn't sniff it or touch it, just trotted to it, stopped, turned and went in the opposite direction.  I was pleased with myself for keeping very calm and just asking him to turn back in the direction I asked and go to the barrel.  On the third request he suprised the daylights out of me and without hesitation jumped over the barrels!  Well, I figured if he'll do it once he'll do it again.  This time he approached with a nice canter, lifted off and cleared the barrels by a good 2' - 3'.  Woohoo!  This is huge for G. Okay, let's make sure it's not a fluke.  I asked him to approach from the opposite side.  He approached and retreated four times and the fifth time he flew over it again by at least 2' - 3' clearance.  I asked him to continue to canter and he circled and jumped it again.  What a good boy!  He got pets and hugs and the best part....the chance to just stand and hang out with mom.  Of course when I asked if he was a good boy he immediately perked up and looked at my hands, lol.  No, no treats buddy.  So I walked him off, took off his lead and we walked around the arena for awhile.  We changed directions, stopped, backed up and just had a nice cool down period.   I just love playing with G like this ~ it feels like quality time as there was not time constraints or agenda really.  I would've been happy just to have him stop and smell the barrels, lol.

Then I went and sat down on the mounting block while he sniffed around looking for a good spot to roll.  Which he did, of course.  Nothing better than arena sand to scratch deep down, lol.

Sending out BIG BIG prayers for Bridgette hoping all went well with her appointment today and prayers until this is all done and you are feeling wonderful again!!  Hugs sistah!

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 03:15:34 pm »

Tuesday 2/12/08

Ach, I'm sitting here dressed for work and hubby is lying in bed upstairs watching tv!  The advantages of being a state worker he had yesterday and today off.  It's always the hardest days for me to get ready for work cause I wanna stay home too!!!

I got a surprise call yesterday on my way to the docs office.  My old boss from the HR dept who was let go 5 years ago due to one of our reorganizations.  Apparently she has the perfect job for me.  It would be working for the Chairman and President (father & son) of a large metal machine equipment distribution/sales company.  Oh and I would also work for her 2 days a week, lol.  Since I was on my way to an appointment she said she'd call me back today at my office to talk a little more about the position.  I guess she read the news about the restructuring of my current company and decided to strike while the fire was hot.  This may be a tough one.  She was wonderful to work with, and the fact that she's been working with this company the past 5 years speaks volumes to me.

After working for the same company for 17.5 years the thought of working elsewhere just seems so foreign to me.  It's like throwing away your old comfortable worn out shoes for the new too tight on your feet variety, lol.  But I guess it won't hurt to hear what she has to offer.  Then when it comes time to see what my current job is offering me in the way of a retention agreement maybe I can use the new job offer as a little leverage.  I've never played this game before, but maybe it's the right time to do so.

We had another great lesson this past Saturday and I'm just enjoying them so much.  Love the new saddle and so does G.   I've asked hubby to go over and ride him later this morning as we're expecting another "snow/ice" event later in the day and he really needs to be exercised ~ I thank my lucky stars every day having a hubby who loves to ride :)

Friday 2/15/08

It has been an extremely busy and depressing week at work.  On Wednesday the ax fell and seven team members were given their notice.  A couple of them were expecting it, but a few are quite stunned.  Two of the women I’ve worked with since day one, both of them were going on 20 years with the company.  Hard to imagine working somewhere else.  So I’ve been busy notifying our insurance carriers, reprogramming phones, scripting new voice mail messages for their phones, answering questions and being bombarded with all the new things that will most likely be falling onto my plate AGAIN!  I guess that’s why I’m still here, I somehow keep adapting as my job morphs into something new.

That all said, I’m going ahead with the interview at my ex HR bosses firm on the 25th.  I went out and bought myself a new outfit and pair of Jeffrey Campbell shoes.  They are really comfy and feminine.  Very different from what I wear on a day to basis.  Can you say Dansko clogs!   I’ll be wearing grey patterned cuffed trousers, a soft blue French cuffed blouse and a silvery grey Jones NY jacket that is faux snakeskin.  Just conservative enough ~ but with a slight bohemian edge to it.  The way I figure it they might as well know who I am from the get-go.  This will be my first interview in over 5 years so I know I’ll be a little nervous, but since I don’t have anything to lose by not getting the job I think it should go well.  It will be interesting to see what I’m offered.  The toughest thing to match will be my 4 weeks of vacation I bet.

I had a follow up visit with my dermatologist on Monday.  I had a growth on my lower right arm frozen a few months back and a couple weeks ago another small growth appeared at the edge of it.  Doc decided to perform a punch biopsy and a treatment called Curettage-electrodessication: they inject a local anesthetic under the skin and the doc uses a curette to scrape the soft, cancerous tissue off the remaining skin.  Then an electric needle is used to burn a narrow border over the curetted site to ensure that it has been completely destroyed.  He decided to do this simply because if the test does come back malignant, he’s already performed the first phase of the treatment.  If it does, then the procedure will be repeated.  If not, it will simply heal as is.  I should know the results on the 25th.    He also froze two more precancerous growths on my face.  Hopefully those will heal and be gone by the time I interview!

Haven’t had a whole lot of time to visit G at the barn this week, but have at least been checking to make sure he’s eating, drinking and pooping.  Since tomorrow is my monthly all day scrap I hope to get in a ride tonight and a good one on Sunday.

Saturday 2/16/08

Finally got out of bed at 5:40 after tossing and turning since 4:00. I hate when I wake up two hours ahead of normal as I just can't get back to sleep. I'm thinking my mind is a bit too active about now, lol.

I was approached yesterday at work and asked if I would be interested in going to computer school for classes in In-Design and Illustrator....whoo hoo!! They all know I love graphic programs and one of the people laid off was the back up to our in-house presentation/design person, who will be going out on maternity leave in May. I didn't have to be asked twice. The package they purchased is for six day long classes, but because of the timing, they're thinking of spending another $1,000 to upgrade them to working one-on-one with an instructor. Even better! Oye, so the pot at work is already starting to get sweeter....I love graphics and I've been trying to teach myself In-design here and there and it is definitely NOT a user friendly program, lol. Oh and I'll be able to play more with GHS banners.

The more I've thought about it, I don't see a real benefit for going to work for another company at this juncture in my life. After all, if we're going to move in the next couple of years I might as well stick with the company that has believed in my abilities all these years and kept me around. I'm still going to go on the interview, as I think it will be good practice for when I have to interview when we move to TN. I would hate to disappoint my old boss and cancel it altogether.

I managed to squeak in a 35 minute ride last night. G was so good. His walk/canter/walk transitions are getting better and better ~ all this lateral work is really paying off. I know I'm extremely fortunate to be able to ride all winter long here in the Northeast, but I am really jonesin for a nice long trail ride .

Today is my monthly all day scrap and I'm working on a very special project. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Sunday I'm scheduled to do G's rear hooves so I'm praying for a little warmer weather. Todays high is projected at 27. Yeah I know for those of you in the frozen tundra that sounds warm, but yesterday was 41!

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »

Monday February 16, 2008

Kate, I was reading your journal, you outfit sounds great. I'm happy that you feel more secure with your company, have fun in the classes.

Thanks Joanna! Now that I don't have a need for it I guess it will become just another work outfit, lol. Well a pretty spiffy one at least.

After a night of tossing and turning last night, I sent Carol and email today and told her I needed to cancel the interview. I apologized for doing so, but at this juncture in my life it just doesn't make any sense to jump ship, plus it really isn't fair to her company for me to take a high level admin position and leave in two years. And, deep down regardless of what is happening with the company, I do still feel a loyalty to my two bosses. I just don't think it would be right to leave while my boss is trying to set up the new business plan to move forward. All I can say is hopefully I didn't make a mistake, lol. But since my current company is willing to invest more in my education, they must want to keep me on. All I want is the day they boot me out the door or I retire that they hand me a nice little package and a thanks. I did receive an answer from Carol this afternoon and she completely understood my position and didn't blame me one bit. Argh, I would've enjoyed working with her again, she had such an infectious laugh!

I am excited about the graphic classes, if I can do it with a one-on-one instructor it would be awesome! I expect to hear back from the school rep tomorrow.

Rainy day today, but temps in the 50's. This has been one strange winter! Thankfully G is barefoot, cause the mud in his paddock is getting to be 'boot suckin' lol.

I finished my scrap project that I started Saturday and the book came out so cool! I need to take pictures and post them, as I want to share!

Nothing much else on the news front. I'm looking forward to a good nights sleep.

Friday February 22, 2008

Going into work today was a little depressing. Yesterday was the last day for three of the employees who were let go. Two others never bothered to come back in on Monday, but are still getting paid for the week. It's amazing to see how different people handle being let go. Nancy, who was the CEO's assistant has been with the firm 20 years. She's always been a professional and she stayed true to the end. She came in every day, packed up her ex-bosses personal office stuff for him to pick up and then took care of her things. I took her out to lunch yesterday and we had a really nice chat. I truly admire this woman and I sure hope she finds a new job she can enjoy. I gave her Carol's name and told her about the job I was going to interview for and told her she should check it out. I think she'd be perfect for it.

Anyway, with the snowstorm today there were only eight people in the office and we're spread from one side of the office to the other. It's kinda like a maze where we have separate wings, so it really feels like its empty! In the next few weeks I think we'll be moving over from our south wing to the north wing, lol. I won't have as long a window sill for my plants, but the office is still the same size so I'm happy. My boss will be in seventh heaven as he's going to be in a huge corner office with windows overlooking the trees. Our area of the office was quiet as far as traffic went so I think it will be nice to be around more hustle and bustle. Not that 14 people can hustle and bustle all that much, but ya catch my drift.

At 1:15 my boss told me to go around to the few people who were in and tell them they could leave and work from home before the roads got any worse. So I came home, logged in, answered two emails, took one call from the boss and that was the extent of my afternoon, lol. I guess that means I owe them a few hours of extra time. I'm thinking now that I have Creative Suite 2 on my home computer I can get a jump start on my training in In-Design working with the tutorials and user guide I have. I'm really looking forward to this. Since the Club Pass was paid for, I can take as many application classes as I want in the course of the year. I'm looking at taking some more graphic classes like DreamWeaver and Front Page and I've always wanted to learn Visual Basic. What the heck, I might as well soak it all up.

I'm feeling like a terrible horse mom as I haven't been to the barn since Tuesday night, ugh! I planned to be there last night but late in the day I got a bit of a stomach bug so I didn't budge once I got home. Then today with the snow storm, I really didn't want to be traveling any more than I needed to. I know he's being observed by everyone that comes and goes, but I still feel like I'm neglecting him. I guess this is what moms go through with their kids? Well I have a lesson at 2:00 tomorrow so I'll show up earlier than normal and just hang with him for awhile. Maybe ride him outside in the snow! That would be fun!

Not much else happening at the home front. Just waiting for hubby to get his vacation request approved so I can make travel arrangements for Tennessee the end of March. I can't wait to see Cheryl, Judy, David & Lisa! Plus warmer weather, riding on the trails....yep I'm ready!!

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:19:15 pm »

I thought I'd move this from my thread to keep in my journal. I like being able to track progress in our training. Plus now I can remember when I bought the dressage pad, lol.

I won a neat dressage pad on eBay last week. When I told hubby I had a new/used one coming I got that look. Then it came. Somehow this one he liked....any idea why?

Needless to say his blue splint boots just don't match. I guess I better start looking for a new/used pair, lol. After all, even if he is a boy horse, he needs to look stylin right?

This was the first time I've used a flash band on his bridle so its a tad looser than it should be. Deb likes to start horses out with them a little loose until they get used to them. G's mouth was a bit quieter today and he stayed on the bit a whole lot more. tToday we continued doing the pentagon exercise where you try to stay on an approx 20 meter circle and you walk straight 3 steps then bend into the circle for 3 steps and repeat around the circle a couple times in both directions. It's interesting as you can feel that to the right G is loose from the get go where tracking left it takes about four repetitions before he loosens up. His left side is definitely his weaker/stiffer side. So we'll continue to work on loosening him up to the left. After leg yielding from the 1/4 line to the wall a few times in each direction she threw in a new exercise. I go to the wall but ask G to leg yield at a 45 degree angle for 5-6 steps and then the moment I straighten him ask for the canter and bend into a 20 meter circle. Deb is always pleased that G is such a quick learner and so willing. I was amazed myself at how quick he picked this up. What I'm finding interesting is that I used to really feel G crossing over with his hind legs during a leg yield. Now I know he's doing it, but I don't feel the crossing over. I think before he was unbalanced so I must've felt him kind of lurching into the yield. Deb said I'll get the feel of the crossing over back, it's just that now that its smoothed out, its a different feel. She really loves working with G which is making lessons even more fun!

Deb was nice enough to take a few pics during and after our lesson today. She said she wanted to get me a good enough shot to make a scrapbook page layout with. I think she did a good job!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up