verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Look what followed us home from KY  (Read 250 times)

ponymare

Look what followed us home from KY
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:27:17 am »

We had been looking for quite some time for a small day trip trailer. Well, I was mainly looking. DH was saying we couldn't afford it, which was true.  But I received a little gift recently and though we longingly looked at a fun jeep, we did "sort of" the responsible thing and bought a trailer. Adulting! ;D

After we traded in our CM 4 horse Drover for our Lakota LQ, we were kind of stuck at the house because it was such a hassle to take the big trailer on short hauls. Not to mention expensive.  Our 2004 CM served us well for 11 years and we had no major complaints with it. It was steel with a galvanneal skin and had very little rust on it after standing out in the elements for 11 years. The floor was still great. The only complaint we had was that the kickboard was made of plywood (behind the wall backing) and years of rain funneling down the sides eventually rotted the wood. Rather than replace the wood, David just tore out the  backing and plywood and painted it with a rubberized paint.  Got a great return on our money when we traded it in.

Fast forward to now. DH kept saying his dream was a 16 ft. aluminum gooseneck stock trailer. But a brand new one just definitely wasn't in our budget and no one seems to turn loose of good used ones!

After looking at several new Featherlites (a 16 ft. bumper pull and a 20 ft. gooseneck) we decided a 20 ft. was too long for our allotted parking space and there weren't any 16 ft. goosenecks close enough to drive to look at. We have a pretty tight parking situation at home (until our sons move some of their cars) and he REEEALLLY wanted a gooseneck to maneuver in such a tight space.

But he looked at trailers every night like reading himself to sleep haha!  I mentioned that since we had really been happy with our CM, why didn't he look at CM's.  I would have been happy with another galvanneal which was cheaper, but he wanted this one to last until we stopped riding, without having to replace the floor. Again, we found that though there were CM dealers fairly close, most of them didn't have aluminums in stock. At this point  he was waffling back and forth, thinking maybe we SHOULD get something with a small dressing room we could carry things in. He started looking at the CM Renegade bumper pull on the CM site. It had slats on the butt side and dropdown windows on the head side. So he did searches for CM Renegades. Naturally most of them that he found were far away! And really more than we could bring ourselves to spend.

Then Wednesday night, after DH went to bed, I found a posting for a CM Fastback on a gaited horse Facebook page and it was very similar to the Renegade except for having slats on both sides.  I was so excited but I couldn't wake him up as he had to get up at 4:30 so I messaged and texted and finally talked to the seller. It was a 2016 and had been used 4 times. I told him I would discuss with DH and call him in the morning.

We had kinks working out the details but we ended up buying it. I was scheduled to be in Nashville with my sons for a weekend festival and DH had to work the next weekend, so we got up at 2 a.m. Friday morning and drove over 8 hrs. to KY! Then DH dropped me off in Nashville and headed home with the trailer. What a long day!

I'm sure Gabe and Sunny won't be as thrilled as we are with the trailer, since they might actually get ridden some this year!  But I am quite happy with our purchase so far. We may buy some plexiglass to put in the sides and we just ordered a trailer hitch lock to put on it, but then we will be set.  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:39:16 am by ponymare »

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Look what followed us home from KY
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:20 am »

Sweet! Is there a little tack room up front for your saddles, pads, bridles? That looks like an ideal get-around trailer. Good find!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:48:18 am »

Congratulations on your wonderful find!  I found a similar awesome deal on a flatbed car hauler (long story for another thread) in late December.  So latest assignment from my DH is to find an awesome deal on a G/N stock type trailer for just short/local hauls, because we let OUR G/N horse trailer go down the road about 3 years ago after we bought the LQ trailer.  We've since regretted it, but it was steel & needed a serious paint job as well as new tires all around.  I just keep looking--haven't found anything yet, but one could turn up any time!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

ponymare

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:08:48 pm »

It DOES, No Bite! A lockable tack room with removable saddle racks.  And thanks! I don't have a picture of it after the seller emptied it, but this photo is copied from the post I saw.

Just keep looking Val, but I think there are more of those type close to you than us!  Almost all the good deals seemed to be out west!

We're contemplating just taking the divider out completely and using it like a stock.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:25:28 pm by ponymare »

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:43:39 am »

It's just what you need! Congratulations.

ponymare

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:04:41 am »

Thanks!Stablemind!  Not as exciting as a new horse but we will probably be looking for a couple of young'uns eventually! Give Sunny and Gabe a little break! ;D

We've got to go look at Lowe's and see what kind of plexiglass options they have. The wrens just seem to think we have brought them a big bird house.  :(

riding the sun

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »

Seems perfect!
My favorite trail is the next one

ponymare

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 04:01:26 pm »

I hope so!  I liked our CM before and hope we like this one! I hope fitting it with plexiglass doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

kckc

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »

I don't enjoy sliding my plexi glass in and out but for air flow you have to....  I am planning on Velcro screens on mine... winter they will block some of the air, summer I unvelcro when traveling.
NC

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »

We bought some thin plexi glass to put in ours. It was a pain unless you left it in
Our trailer is a 2000 and has worked just fine.  We don't use it in the winter, so we have never put the slats back in
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

ponymare

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »

We had plexiglass in our old one, which we put in sometimes to keep dust from blowing in on them on gravel roads. Kckc, not sure what you mean about Velcro screens.

kckc

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »

when I was looking online for something to do other than put plexiglass back in my trailer I ran across someone who said they had screens made that slid in the same way as plexiglass but if they had to do it again they might just get the screens made with Velcro (I'm guessing velco on the inside of the trailer but maybe not).   I haven't made any headway on that particular project
NC

ponymare

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:04:25 pm »

Ah. Well, screens wouldn't help with gravel dust, although we try to avoid going places like that. Buffalo River has a loooong gravel road and we haven't been back since getting the LQ.  We probably wouldn't use it for much more but if it's still cool running down the road and they've worked up a sweat, plexiglass would block some of the draft.

kckc

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:19:42 am »

I worry my trailer is just too hot even with vents on the top and bus windows... without the plexiglass out of it it's like a hot can in the sun
NC

ponymare

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 11:42:50 am »

Yes, definitely better in hot weather with the plexiglass out!  I always worry, too hot or too cold or too windy... well, I just worry LOL! ::)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up