Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caught a Nice Day For a Trail Ride  (Read 140 times)

NoBite

• Administrator
Caught a Nice Day For a Trail Ride
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:44:45 am »

We really like riding this time of year, when you can catch a decent day. Friday was such a day. Here is one of several creek crossings on our trail. The woods looks barren this time of year. But, that allows you to see so much farther! And, at times you see more wildlife. We rode within 50 feet of five deer, three laying down resting. Almost perfectly blending in with their surroundings, they didn't move as we rode by. Pretty nice.

Here is a video taken on the trail. You can see the visibility in the Forest this time of year.

https://youtu.be/qap4CMjvh8Y

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:07:56 pm by NoBite »
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Caught a Nice Day For a Trail Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:57 am »

Definitely what I need to see today.  I might actually get a ride with outdoors today....maybe.  But it won’t be in nice forest and rock formations.  However, I have been thinking about and planning my trip to Shawnee this past week.  In June, it will be covered with leaves and grass, but beautiful and I look forward to that.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Laurie

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:37:00 am »

Thanks for posting! Nice video.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:51:38 am »

I love riding along creeks and am really looking forward to riding at Shawnee, including meeting you and your wife and your horses.

misstux

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 03:36:01 pm »

Beautiful ride.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:32:36 pm »

It's fun to ride the trail this time of year and see so many things that you can't see the rest of the year. It's almost seems to be an entirely new trail.
  Today was a nice day to ride in Ohio, still have plenty of snow down, but I did get to enjoy the sun and nearly 40 degree temperature.   I only rode up and down the drive, first ride since last Fall, but it was so nice.
MJ

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:37 am »

This is very pretty.  We have some creek crossings very similar to this also.  Always so pretty and the only sounds are the water flowing down stream is like music in the woods.

Jeanne

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:48:02 am »

Where is this taken from?  It looks like something we crossed when we were further west on a vacation/horse trip.? If I dug through all my albums I have saved pictures in, I would be able to know if this was the same area. 

Now on our vacation trips, we stay pretty much to no further west than OH and KY.  Just takes a lot of time, fuel, and funds to go any further. So, we normally just go into Ohio and camp at  Elkins Creek in southern central OH and then down into KY some.  We just think Elkins Creek is the best camp we have ever stayed at.  Trails are easy to follow, marked well, and not easy to get lost on.  Everything is so well marked by the camp ground owners, that it would really be a hard time getting lost.  If you get lost, then you do not know how to read signs.  And there are miles and miles of beautiful trails right from the camp.  They will also trailer you out to far trails from the camp that you can then ride back to the camp for a nice day ride.  The markings on the trails are not just colors and a map to use.  They will give you a name on the sign to where you are and which way camp is.  They just put so much effort into making everything user friendly, which for people who have not been there before, will not even have a problem getting around and not lost.

Jeanne

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 08:37:46 am »

Where is this taken from?  It looks like something we crossed when we were further west on a vacation/horse trip.? If I dug through all my albums I have saved pictures in, I would be able to know if this was the same area. 

Jeanne

This is in the Shawnee Forest of southern Illinois. If you are familiar with the area I can pinpoint the area for you. Not too far from Eddyville, Illinois. We rode out of Hayes Canyon Campground this day.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up