Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JMR - social security  (Read 381 times)

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
JMR - social security
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:02:05 pm »

I saw on another post you were asking about social security benefits -- you should be getting an annual statement showing how much you (or Steve) can
draw-
The best way I think is to go on the website and set up account.  You have to do the application when it's time online anyway-- so you might as well enroll for information
https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/
or - you  can visit your nearest Social Security office

I doubt if there is much difference in 64 and 65 -- as actually the "full" retirement age for our age group is now 66  (don't tell Steve) :-)

BUT -- be careful as you can't enroll in Medicare till 65 -- so if he retires early MAKE SURE you check out health insurance for that year till he can be on Medicare --
AND -- if you are under 65 when he turns 65 -- where will your insurance be ----        Believe me -- it makes a difference.

Good luck -- you coming to Kentucky this year to look around?   Do you ever look online at property in the area you want to be in ?  It will give you an idea
what is out there and how much property is going for.      It's a sellers market right now in most places --- I've even heard of bidding wars -----

see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: JMR - social security
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:00:24 am »

When my husband started thinking about retirement he went to the ss office.  They were great.  Gave him all the information he needed and it helped him decide about what he needed to do.  We were in a different place as I am a VA Patient and do not need the medicare/medicade stuff as the VA takes good care of me.

I hope this helps
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:23 pm »

We have not signed up yet for SSI, so I would assume that we would not get annual statements showing how much Steve and I can draw.  I was thinking about going into Elmira, N.Y. which is just over the boarder, because I think there is an office there for SSI.  I should try calling up Sayre, PA also to see if there is anything there, which I doubt there would be.  It is a very small town.  But the closet town to us that has any size to it.  I think Towanda, PA also and I think there might be an office there.  That would be almost as close and also would be in the current state we live in.  I will check this out.  I am pretty sure we can get the health insurance from the people that Steve pays on a weekly basis for him and I at his job.  I have not checked that out yet, but it is on my list with getting this going. I am also sure that the company that our insurance is from where Steve works, would give us a quote for our insurance if Steve was to actually retitre.   I really hope we can prove that the difference in 1 year more of working is not worth working for it.  He goes back to work on Monday from his injury on workers comp.  So, maybe I can get into Towanda and talk to someone there that can show me the true figures for both of us.  I just feel that Steve is wearing himself down by working another year.  He has had 2 heart attacks, and he seems to me to be very tired when he is home.  He can fall asleep almost as fast as he sits down.  Then sleeps all night really well also.  Do you think that the SSI office would go over both of our retirement  SSI funds if Steve did not go with me to talk to them? Since he is still working and I am sure he won't take a day off or even a partial day to go down there.  I think if I could prove that the difference in monthly income if he retired would not be that much difference in funds to live on, when you spend $100.00/week just to go to work.  And the cost of the wear and tear on the truck he drives, puts at least $40-$50 plus wear and tear on the truck he drives to go there, that it would be cost less to stay home and collect SSI. 

Your input is fabulous for me to get some more positive push on Steve.  The other big point also is that we plan to move to KY where the taxes on our house similar to where we live in PA would probably be at least 1/3 of the cost, we would not be having the Nissan going about 40 miles or more a day just to go to work. 

But give me more thoughts if you have some that I can make my list to use to sway Steve to retire this year at 64 rather than next year at the end of the year, not on his birthday in Nov., but he says, he is going to continue until the first of Jan. 1st instead of Nov. 15 when his birthday is.  Boy is he bull headed!! 

Jeanne

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:33:31 pm »

They went over ALL our options and I did not have to go  When they discovered what I was receiving they told Mike I was entitled to more money, some of his.  He brought me home a paper to sign and send back to them. The money was added into my monthly amount. They were great about it all  Mike received  statements from them for several years before he retired.  Find your nearest office and go see them.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

ClaudiaIN

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:36 pm »

I have gotten yearly social security statements since I started working. I thought everyone hot them. They would come in the mail

Go to socialsecurity.gov I believe. Make an account and you can see all the options.
We did everything on line and never visited an office.
I believe I read the other day you get approx 8% more a year every year you wait past 62

ClaudiaIN

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:40:57 pm »

Here is the link. You can see both your statements when you put in the required info

https://www.ssa.gov

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »

I found that I already have a account set up.  I don't remember doing it but I must have.  What can I go to look for once I have this set up?   I know we  don't receive yearly updates either.  I probably should call them and ask them about it.  Not sure where to find the contact info, but I can see what comes up.

Jeanne 

ClaudiaIN

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

One of the links, just go on the original site I gave you and look around. It's easy to navigate

Kalli

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:29 pm »

I have gotten yearly social security statements since I started working. I thought everyone hot them. They would come in the mail

Go to socialsecurity.gov I believe. Make an account and you can see all the options.
We did everything on line and never visited an office.
I believe I read the other day you get approx 8% more a year every year you wait past 62

I got a yearly SS statement when I was still working. It stated how much I would be able to draw if I started taking it at 62, 66 and 70 I think. I started taking it at 62. My sis is waiting until 66 and older brother is waiting until 70.

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 08:35:20 am »

Well, I am dragging Steve down to the SSI office in Towanda, PA this week so that we can be set up for updates and get an idea of what we will have from SSI when he finally agrees to retire will be.  I am hoping that this might be the push I need to show him that it is not worth the difference in funds to work till he is 65.  That you can stop this year at 64.  I would even let him keep working until we are actually ready to move to KY if that is what he would want to do.  It is not like I am pushing him to quit tomorrow.  Just this year at some point.  And my idea would be once we have found a home to buy in KY that meets out needs, and get everything in place for a closing on the new home and get our buyer here set up for buying our current home back to them.  They only sold our current home because they wanted the kids to grow up in town rather than be so far out in the country where there really is very few children where we live.  There is a school age boy and a 1 year old baby next door to us.  But they are the only ones in our actual area except for the lady at the bottom of our hill.  But she is retired and spends a lot of time at her parents home south of us in PA.  I am sure there might be some children in East Smithfield that is about 3-4 miles from us.  But that is about it. And that is just a very, very small community in that town.  Everyone else in our area have grown children are elderly people who have lived their whole life here.  We are about a 20 minute drive to get to Sayre, PA.  That would be where you can actually have homes with neighbors, schools, etc.  That is the closest real town near us.  And that is not a very big town either.  But we can get almost anything you need there.  Such as some groceries and a hardware.  That is pretty much it for our "local" towns. 

Wish me luck with my goal.  I just will not give up until he is agreeing to retire.  He really needs to retire before he ends up with a 3rd heart attack.  And who knows how the out come would be on a 3rd heard attack.  I just can not live in this home with out Steve to help me.  We need a home that I would be able to handle if something happened to Steve.  This house is for sure not something I can handle.

Jeanne

Jeanne

Jeanne 

Laurie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 10:13:19 am »

Jeanne, I retired in July and began drawing my social security as of July1.  I also received a yearly statement from SS about what I might draw at several ages up to 66, however my actual draw was a little different.  The form to apply for SS and medicare is quite lengthy and requires a LOT of information about past earnings, marriages, and jobs. There are a lot of dates you will be asked.  I would encourage you to go online and begin filling out the forms so that you will know what information is needed.You might make a long trip just to find out you didn't have the information or paperwork that is needed.  You will get a log in for the site and will be able to fill out part of the form, then go back in and fill out more etc., until you have decided to submit it.  There are lots of complicated things to consider and the timing must be right ......For example, in order for me to keep my insurance from work when I retired to cover my supplemental insurance to Medicare A and B, I had to have a from submitted from my place of employment stating that I would have this coverage I think.  The costs of part B come out of your SS check.

I started working on my paperwork in April for a july 1 retirement date. Timing is important so that you don't spend any time uninsured.  Good Luck! 8) 

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:59 am »

Thank you for all the tips and info.  The best part of going where we are going to meet with them is in Towanda, PA., is that it is not a busy town at all.  The other closest one is in Elmira, N.Y. where Steve is still working at.  But I prefer to go to the PA office that is just below us just because if I need to go back down for any reason, I prefer working with the people in PA, and it is just as close if not closer from our house then it is to go into NY to the office in Elmira, NY.

So' we will at least get some info and an idea of what our SSI will be for each of us.  It is a start in the right direction.  I just really hope this will be positive for Steve to see that it is not worth what it costs to go to work every day and continue working for a very cheap employer. I could not even tell you when the last time was that they had a raise.  If I was to guess, I would say around 5 years.  They do or have done bonuses yearly after the audit for the prior year is finished.  That should be coming any day now unless they are no longer going to do that either.  But if I can make Steve see that it is not worth spending $100/week just to go to work for the poor pay that has't had a raise in at least 3 or 4 years.  It is time to tell them to TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT.

Jeanne

Laurie

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:43 am »

Jeanne,
I totally agree with you. Its not worth his health to continue working. He needs to retire when he can still do some of the things you two want to do.   I did try to hold out until I reached 66 to get as much as I could, but I was determined not to work longer that I had to to get my benefits.   I learned over the years, that as important as you think you are to your business, and as loyal as you want to be to continue working, they (the bosses) don't really care, and that job will go right on without you. After 32 years with the same organization.....I rarely even think about it anymore 8)..........I am thankful for my retirement benefits and insurance........but I love retirement!

Once he see's how it can work financially he will probably be ok. 

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:17:53 am »

Well, the SSI office got us going.  I already have an account set up that I forgot about, so I was all good there.  They got Steve set up now also.  So that part is good.  Now I am just kind of holding out till later this summer before I really start pushing for Steve to stop working.  He has the brake down of what he will get at the different ages.  I am not going to do much more till later this summer and into the fall when we take our big vacation each year.  We will have 3 weeks to hopefully to do some farm shopping.  If we find at least one perfect home that we would like to make it be our new KY home, we then can go home from vacation with having Steve turn in his notice and get in touch with  the couple that wants to buy our home back now that their children are out on their own.  They only moved into town to let them grow up in town where they were going to school, rather than have them being bused to school and live where they would have no other kids to play with. Now they will move back to their old home out here where it is so nice and quiet living.  I won't even mention to them that the people who bought the home next door are real jerks.  But we have everything well marked so there is no more questions on where our property line is. I will leave them the the paperwork that proves the survey also. We won't have any use for it at that time frame.  All of this open acres we have is fenced in and well marked also.  I know they had a horse before when they lived here.  Not sure if it was for the kids or they rode also.  But at least they know where the lines are and most of the property is pasture now also. So, if they want horses again, or some other animal, every thing is there already to be used.  We also have planted 5 or 6 fruit trees that are doing fruit each summer, we remodeled the entire home inside with new carpet, all new windows and sliding glass doors, new roof, and some work on the barn.  If the home wasn't in the north east where taxes are costly and the snow can be really bad and too much work for us retired couple as well as that Steve can not keep cutting wood for heating the home much longer.  It is hard work to do that, and if anything happened to Steve, I could not get on the roof to clean the chimney several times during the winter and would not have any one to help me with this house.  So, we are hopefully going to be shopping this fall with the worst would be next spring.  But I really don't want to be here for another winter, and worry about Steve doing more than he should be. 

Hopefully we will be KY bound this fall!!   Keep a positive thought's for me that my plan works.  Steve is the type that is very set in his ways, so the baby steps work best to get him to realize I am right and we need to do this.

Jeanne

ClaudiaIN

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:53:05 pm »

you might check with Jim S (Rainmaker)
They are going to be downsizing and have a great farm in the area you are looking.
They have done tons of improvements on their place also.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up