Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: weather  (Read 704 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: weather
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 05:00:59 am »

10K without power this morning here in RI.  It's cold the winds are starting in again.  Here in RI everything from a trace to 10 or so inches.  It is heavy wet cement.  I have to go clean off the trucks.  Underfoot is not nice, but watching the news we did not get it as bad as other areas.  Parts of Conn and Mass got FEET of this heavy wet stuff.  We call it heart attack snow.
Mon into Tues we have another storm headed in here.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 07:07:51 am »

We got 10" of snow yesterday.  Thankfully it wasn't super wet and heavy, so easier to plow/shovel, and winds were down so it didn't cause the widespread damage that we had on Friday.  There are still tons of people without power in the Poconos (over 40,000 I believe) from last week's storm though.
Karen

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 04:40:35 am »

Everything that was a wet sloppy mess yesterday is now FROZEN.  Still about 2000 without power and it is cold.  Some people have been without power for over a week.  One area had the power back for about 30 hours when this storm hit and it looks like we have another storm headed in Mon into Tues.  They are not sure of the track yet.  Time will tell.

There are many thousands of people without power in the North East and it's cold.  This morning it is still snowing in parts of Maine.  A friend just west of Bangor got over 2 feet yesterday, they are all happy cause it mean snowmobiling continues for at least a few more weeks.

kckc

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 05:56:10 am »

Whew... I am enjoyed our brisk weather and just can't imagine going back to real winters....   I'm figuring everyone in the North has alternative heat sources... or at least I hope so !
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 07:50:45 am »

KCKC,
The problem is even propane or natural gas furnaces need electricity for the controls.  Lots of people in the North have little room heaters that run on propane for emergencies, but you have to be careful and you need a battery operated CO2 detector. 
We have generator that runs off a tractor PTO.  But with my sons business being his greenhouses, I would connect them, and not the houses.  Lucky for me, I live 2 miles from a substation.  When they repair lines, they start at the substation and move outward.  I have never been out of electricity for more than a few hours.  But sad for those at the end of the lines.  They are the last.  We have only had a few line breakages this winter.  Sad for those on the eastern seaboard.  They are getting pounded this winter.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 10:24:18 am »

We have a gas fireplace on the main house level, a wood burning stove in the basement (we rarely use it, but would if we lost power), and a propane powered whole house generator.  If we lost power, we'd be in pretty good shape.
Karen

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:48 am »

We sold the wood stove when we got the whole house generator.  I cook with propane so we are all set here also.
I got tired of the costs of wood and fighting with dealers that do not know what a true cord of wood measures.  Plus wood is a lot of work.
How we do it now is easier and cheaper.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »

Our temps aren't so bad - right @ freezing - but we've gotten a foot of snow in the last 24 hours. Today it has snowed just about non-stop, often heavily. I have looked at radar maps several times today and they always show snow west and east of us but a 25 mile section (where I live) that looks like it hasn't snowed all day. Somehow the radar is missing what's actually going on here.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 04:35:57 pm »

Hang tough Cyd.  Spring is on its way.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 05:07:37 pm »

Judi...you AND the weather forecasters are both liars!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 05:37:49 pm »

Judi, we had a lovely taste of spring the end of February. Winter is always old by March, but especially when you've had some nice weather and winter returns all over again. We must all hang tough!  >:(

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 06:37:51 pm »

I am not a liar, grin, the calendar says so and it happens on Mike's birthday.  HOWEVER, I don't put my winter stuff away until at least Memorial Day  lol.
We have another storm headed in here Mon into Tues.  This weather pattern could go away anytime at all.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 04:33:14 am »

Judi, do you think there are more of these nor'easter kind of weather systems than there used to be? To me, it seems that more of our winter weather comes up from the south. Maybe it's always been this way but I'm looking at radar maps more. I should add that the actual nor'easters often miss us by a few miles. But the swirl goes up and over Lake Erie and we get lake effect snow from them.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 06:57:05 am »

Having been on earth for 7 decades and most of it living in the barn so weather is important, Yes I think we are getting more of these storms especially in the winter.  It used to be we had a January thaw and then it was back into winter until mid March,  Honestly this year has really got me scratching my head.  I hope things straighten out sooner rather than later.
The ground has not really frozen up as it usually does so I'm guessing the bugs are going to be terrible this year.
So, I guess all we can do is hang tough and do what needs to be done to get through.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 08:45:08 am »

Over here (NW PA) we're not getting more storms, it just seems like more of our weather comes up from the south. But like I said, maybe I'm just paying more attention to the radar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up