Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: weather  (Read 746 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: weather
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:07:48 pm »

It's 9:05 pm and the storm continues on unabated.  Lots of damage over 150 K out of power last I heard.

They are telling us it will be Sunday before the crews will be able to really get out to work on the power.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 04:39:44 am »

The rain is pretty much gone but the winds are still blowing pretty well.  Still well over 100K without power and it could be tomorrow into Mon before it is all restored.  We are fine here.  The coast has taken a beating from RI all the way up to Maine.

I hope you all are fine from all your bad weather,

kckc

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 06:50:59 am »

i must be missing all except local weather.  glad to hear you are unscathed
NC

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 11:14:13 am »

We got slammed.  John said 14" of snow, wild wind and tons of drifting.  It took us 90 minutes to travel 18 miles yesterday at 1 p.m. trying to get home from work.  There were power lines and trees down everywhere, and without 4 wheel drive, people couldn't make it up or down any of the hills.

We drove the truck into work, so were okay.  There are still people stranded all over the area today.  Roads turned into parking lots, and couldn't be plowed so that's still being addressed.  As of this morning, parts of nearly every major road were still closed, and people will be without power for up to a week. 

Again, we were lucky.  We never lost power, and if we had, have a whole house generator and a gas fireplace that would have kept us with power and warm.

So today it's pushing 40 degrees, so John was out early re-plowing the driveway, so the entire driveway is melted/clear, as are the kennels.  John ran to work a little bit ago, and said the roads were mostly okay.  He had to take 1 detour, but made it there safely. 

Needless to say, no dog show for me this weekend. 
Karen

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »

Karen, while I would have loved to have a visit I am so glad you stayed home safe and sound.
It's been spitting rain and ice pellets here all day and the winds are still up.  They are saying some folks will be without power until mid week.

We did not get the snow they promised, thank goodness, but there were almost 400K without power in Mass.  Haven't heard from anyone in the W. Springfield area but I know the winds were bad up there last night.

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 01:33:13 pm »

I talked to a couple people at the show.  They said that the roads were clear and dry there, but every road out of my area is closed.  John's not even sure he can get to Mariel 33 miles away today.  We were just sitting down looking for a clear route, and there just aren't any.  Route 80 is closed, Route 81 is closed in spots, Route 84 is closed in spots, the local little Route 611 is closed in spots, back roads still have downed trees all over them (John just got home from work with some pretty impressive pictures). 

Karen

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 05:34:08 am »

6 a.m.  lots of sleet with a high wind.  Schools have called off, as in a few hours this will be a sheet of ice.

Somehow, I ended up with 5 extra horses for temporary as a local stable was closed.  I have paddock space, just not shelters.  I think we will have to squeeze 5 horses into the space of 4 stalls today.  They cannot be wet to the skin in this.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:52 am »

Ick! And I suppose this will be our weather tomorrow.

Walkin45

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 06:40:03 am »

My friend spent 23 hours on I think 80 in his transfer. Roads were closed. He was better off then regular cars . Very scary for all.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:34 am »

An ambulance just drove by on the highway.....going 20 mph.  This is not a good sign.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 09:31:07 am »

Stay safe Kysa.

We are expecting another Nor'Easter in here on Wed.  We are still going through the end of this last storm.  Seas are still way high out on the eastern facing coasts from Mass up into Canada. Winds are gusting up to 25 mph here.

They are saying this one is going to join up with the storm Kysa is getting today with a storm that is getting itself together off the coast of the Carolinas.  We are being told high winds and heavy snow,  at least 6 inches here.  There are still several thousand folks without power here in RI and more in Mass.

All that being said I would rather snow than what Kysa is getting I just hate ice.  Good luck with the extra horses.

kckc

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 10:02:30 am »

wow you guys,... be safe !
NC

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 10:30:18 am »

WoW!!!  After reading the latest updates, I'm not going to complain about the WIND here.  No precip at all in the forecast.  We've had a total of 1" of rain in the past 5 months.  Talked to my BFF in Mississippi last week--where she lives there was a lot of flooding in low lying areas.  She's on enuf of a hill that her place doesn't flood.

Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 01:35:31 pm »

They said after the storm there were close to 175,000 people without power in our area (NE PA).  They're down to 43,000 as of this morning, and are hoping to have most of them back up and running by Wednesday night.

Of course, round 2.....another storm is heading our way Wednesday into Thursday.  We're supposed to get another 4-8 inches of snow (or more), but the winds aren't supposed to be quite as bad. 
Karen

Slades housekeeper

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 11:22:12 am »

We ended up with 10 inches of snow.  It was preceded by freezing rain, and the heavy wet snow that makes you cringe when you look at your shovel in the morning.  The roads are being cleared, but its icy underneath.  And we barely had any snow....deep sigh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up