Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nitrofurazone  (Read 122 times)

kckc

Nitrofurazone
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:15:05 am »

interesting... I know I have used this in my far past...

Equine Medical & Surgical Associates
February 15, 2016 ยท
NITROFURAZONE OINTMENT (FURACIN)
Nitrofurazone Ointment (Furacin), at the December 2015 AAEP meeting, was discussed in a paper on wound management, by Dr. Hendrickson, a surgeon at Colorado State Veterinary School. "Research has shown that it retards healing rate by as much as 24%. Nitrofurazone should never be used in open wounds." SO: It is actually bad for wounds, run downs, cracked heels - avoid it.
NC

PAWalker

Re: Nitrofurazone
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:13 am »

<sigh> and I'm pretty sure I have some in a cupboard that I haven't used for eons-----

The further (or is it farther) down the road I get on horse keeping, the more complex things are.

It's a wonder I still have hair and I blame all the gray on the horses --- it can't possibly have anything to do with my age :o

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:47:44 am »

Used to be my "go to" for wounds.  Can't remember when exactly, but I quit using it several years ago.  Knock on wood, we haven't had any significant injuries in quite some time. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 12:10:30 pm »

I will defend nitrofurazone...in the past.  It is a good antibiotic, just also slows actual healing.  There are better choices out there now.  But don't beat yourself up if you used it.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 12:58:01 pm »

I will defend nitrofurazone...in the past.  It is a good antibiotic, just also slows actual healing.  There are better choices out there now.  But don't beat yourself up if you used it.
When we were dealing w/ a recalcitrant lower leg wound several years ago, vet gave us an ointment that was a combo steroid/antibiotic, that was intended to slow the proud flesh that kept forming.  She cautioned me not to use it for more than a week or so at a time, because it slowed actual wound healing too.  Apparently steroids can keep proud flesh in check, but in the process also slow healing. 
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 01:44:50 pm »

a vet friend just added that this is a carcinogen and gloves should be worn if used ... 
NC

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 03:26:19 pm »

I'm old enough to remember when old folks were using nitrofurazone and ?  in combination, because it was supposed to relieve arthritis pain.  Dang--I'm old enuf that I cannot remember the name of that stuff.....  It was a clearish liquid sold as a solvent, but when rubbed on skin resulted in a sorta garlicky breath.
  But then word came out that nitrofurazone was a carcinogen, and the combo kinda fell by the wayside.
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 03:36:46 pm »

oh heck, I know the name of that - it absorbs through the skin...    wait wait,,  DMSO
NC

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:41:08 pm »

YES!!  DMSO!  At the time, local feed store sold both, positioned in close proximity, with a prominently positioned sign warning that DMSO was sold solely as a solvent....  Or something similar.....
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

meely3

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 08:35:12 am »

And they have know for probably 10 years that it encourages proud flesh. I think I noticed 25 years ago that the only time we saw proud flesh was with owners that used furacin, and I have hated it since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up