Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non pharmaceutical methods of pain relief  (Read 136 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Non pharmaceutical methods of pain relief
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:51:08 am »

I have been giving the SSH pony turmeric.  It is not quite keeping up with the pain and I see her limping more.  I just switched her to buteless pellets, because I have some.  But I am wondering if there are other options people have had good luck with.

Bute, banamine, and previcox is not a long term option, although I will give her bute for a couple days prior to farrier visits.  Her last visit, she did rear up when that foot was picked up.  My farrier is so gentle, and he kneels on the ground and barely picks up the foot, just enough to attach the nippers.  But she obviously has pain in that knee.

So any other suggestions.  I doubt we will take her through another winter, but right now, I do need her as a companion for Lola.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

2gaits

Re: Non pharmaceutical methods of pain relief
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:45 am »

Why can't she have Bute or previcox long-term? What is causing the lameness?

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:52 am »

Long term, NSAIDS cause ulcers and sometimes colic.  I will definitely do the NSAIDS for particularly painful days, but need something just for day to day.

She had a serious injury to the knee prior to our buying her.  She fine for a few weeks, then came up seriously lame.  When we took her to our vet, he said the knee had been injected so many times, there was n way for him to inject her again...too much scar tissue from knee injections.  She really was good with kids, but at this point, we don’t even do walking pony rides on her.  She could stumble at any moment.  I do need a companion for the mini, so she has that as a job.  But will probably be put down sometime over the summer.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoRegrets

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:26:02 am »

Well...if it's bad enough that the horse might not make it through till next winter than I'd go the previcox/equioxx route.  My one horse has been on the equioxx for over a year now with no side effects showing.  He takes one pill every day for six days than one day off.  It has done wonders for him.  He used to take the previcox but the equine vet won't prescribe it.  Equioxx is way more expensive.  The horse has never colicked but has overall body soreness and some uveitis issues and of course arthritis, which the equioxx really helps.  He's going on 21 and we've had him for a very long time, so more of a family pet than anything else.  Equioxx has certainly improved his condition even as other issues are arising. 

I also give Buddy, the TWH an equioxx for two days before the farrier comes.  Buddy has stifle issues that resembles stringhalt.  It definitely helps him be able to keep his leg up for trimming. 
Debbie

Little Freckles

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:00:35 pm »

If you plan to put her down within the next 5 months, I would give the NSAIDS.  Dealing with the pain could cause her to have ulcers too.  Maybe give for 5 days with day 6 off.  I would make her as pain free as possible for the short time she will remain on this earth.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

meely3

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 04:41:05 am »

A friend of mine uses one of those liquid HA supplements, corta flex or finish line, I don't remember what exactly. It's expensive but she says it keeps her 20 something show horse in the ring. 

luvmysmh

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:19:40 am »

I also tried to keep my QH (navicular and ringbone) off Bute for as long as possible due to the potential side effects.  He did really well for a long time on joint supplements.  Once he was 21 and the supplement was not helping as much as it had before, I made the decision to put him on bute more frequently.  It started out as only on his bad days; then it moved to his bad days plus a day or two after the bad day, and eventually I put him on it every day.  I decided that if and when he developed intestinal issues from the bute I would put him down at that point but at least I would be keeping him comfortable.  In the end, I put him down at age 23, not from intestinal issues but due to a torn tendon. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up