Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: why would a horse sweat in the middle of winter?  (Read 578 times)

PAWalker

Re: why would a horse sweat in the middle of winter?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 05:41:46 am »

Well ---- it depends how bad his ulcers are, assuming that's the issue:)

My equine chiro is also a DVM who took the holistic route.

She sees my two remaining horses once a once, which has probably saved me some visits from the traditional vet, lol

Ornery Rusty had started pinning his ears if I even lightlyz brushed against his right flank area.  He has always had some sort of digestive issues (off and on) since he was a teenager --- he is coming 24.

I was worried about ulcers because he stopped going right to his hay after he finished his feed pan stuff (no grains for severL years)

She felt like his secum was slightly inflamed for starters. 

She had me put him 50 CC's daily of people Mylanta, along with 2 pills daily of People Gas-X because his excessive gas issue was wanting to start up after being quiet for two years.

I used the entire bottle of Mylanta and stopped the Gas-X a few days after I stopped the Mylanta.

Within 24 hours of his first dose, Rusty started going right to his hay after he ate his feedpan stuff.

Rusty loves the peppermint taste of Mylanta so feeding thru a big syringe was not an issue.   You just have to remember to give small amounts at a time, of the 50CC's, so your horse can easily swallow and doesn't spit the Mylanta put because he has too much to swallow at one time.

If that seems to bring your horse some relief, I would then ask the vet for the expensive ulcer meds to get him healed.   If it doesn't help, your horse may still have ulcers but they are bad enough to require something from the vet:)

meely3

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 01:48:42 pm »

He doesn't have any other symptoms of ulcers though. He loves to eat, and has free choice hay all day and night. But he is depressed and he is sweating on and off. I should see if he is today, it's over 50 out, he probably should be.
edit
No, of course, he is fine today.
edit
Ok, so at 65 degrees this afternoon he was not sweaty. But just now after it's cooling down, I can feel his is a little bit damp. And he is yawning like mad. Google says that is a sign of tummy pain, so at this point I think I am going to assume it's the bute.
 Between the joint pain he is having, which is only mostly controlled by the bute, the breathing issues, and losing his vision, I think it may be time to consider that he isn't having a good quality of life anymore.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:13:56 pm by meely3 »

PAWalker

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 04:19:33 pm »

Maybe you should keep a daily log of how he feels and also note the weather conditions. 

While I'm not discounting that something is wrong, it could very well be he is worse under certain weather conditions.

I swear Rusty suffers from SADD -- sun deprivation.  More than once I have noticed a change in him if we have more than one day without sunshine.  He mopes around  or stands around much longer than is normal for him.  If the sun is shining, his head is up, unless he's grazing, and he just seems happier.

Yesterday the temps were in the 50's but it rained and no sign of the sun.  Rusty stayed in the barn all afternoon.  Today we hit 75 with quite a bit of sun, even if it was behind the clouds.  Rusty spent the entire day outside, moving around.

Joker, on the other hand, is always even-keeled and happy-go-lucky, regardless of the weather - like me,

meely3

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 05:12:16 pm »

I kept a little bit of track of it when it first started, thinking it was the arthritis. And wondering if I could link it to the weather like mine. The only thing I have noticed is that the worse he is limping in the morning the more likely he is miserable all day. He has always been high energy and happy about everything but he has been sliding downhill pretty fast since this summer I guess.

PAWalker

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 06:45:30 pm »

Ask the vet exactly what type of blood work they did and that you want a copy of the results.

Kysa, if you are following along, can you translate the results?

Plus it is also possible different blood tests might be needed.   Something just isn't right and it isn't old age.

I really hate when vets shrug their shoulders while they are handing over a bill.   Make the vet give you the blood results -- that is information you paid for, for the good and well being of your horse.   

That is how I cut ties with one vet and went to another one in 2007.   -issed me off royally when the first vet told me to watch Duke's diet but shrugged his shoulders when I asked what exactly that meant.  That was the first I'd heard of metabolic issues and boy did I have to learn in a hurry via the Internet .  Thankfully there were some very thoughtful and helpful people to point me in the right direction.

Pasolady

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:01 am »

Has he been tested for cushings?  Many cushings horses can't regulate their temps as it progresses.  My old Paso, Denny, would sweat in winter and by the time it progressed he couldn't regulate his temps, he finally was to the point he couldn't sweat and was a whole new problem in the summer when I had to go down three/four times a day to cold hose him and he stayed in front of the fan.  If he has not been tested for cushings yet I would have him tested and see if that is part of the problem.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 05:55:05 am »

Yes, PAwalker, I am watching this thread.  Although I am inclined to put ulcers first on the list. 
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

meely3

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 08:37:29 am »

Still waiting for a call back about test results. The last couple days he's seemed fine, and today starts one of the "digestive system health" supplements and of course an expensive joint supplement.

meely3

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 04:59:10 am »

Still no callback about test results. At this point he is sore on all 4 corners, wheezing, and getting very jumpy about any sudden movements. I thought he was doing better but then l did an after dinner check and he's shifting his weight from foot to foot, sweating, yawning, and just looking miserable.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 07:33:02 am »

Sore definitely sounds like a metabolic issue. 
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 08:12:20 am »

Meely, did you ever get this figured out?

meely3

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 08:11:36 am »

No, unfortunately I never got an answer. Between being just miserable and suddenly becoming very reactive to sudden movements we decided to have him put down. I just couldn't put him through another round of expensive tests once the second vet came out and confirmed that he couldn't see much if at all.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 10:08:49 am »

Ahh, poor guy. I know that must have been a difficult decision, inevitable as it was. My condolences to you.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:47:53 pm by stablemind »

misstux

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 02:50:45 pm »

So very sorry about your boy.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »

So sorry to hear this, sending prayers and hugs to you.
MJ
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up