Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: why would a horse sweat in the middle of winter?  (Read 595 times)

meely3

why would a horse sweat in the middle of winter?
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:16:32 am »

If your horse is just suddenly sweating for no reason, what do you look for? Say it's 17 degrees, no blankets, short, slick haircoat, and just passed his yearly exam with flying colors. Damp, not soaking wet, and without any exercise. I'm wondering if it's pain or a real mild colic, it's been going on, off and on for a few weeks now.

vruste

Re: why would a horse sweat in the middle of winter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:26:31 am »

I'd look into colic or laminitis, or less likely a regular trespesser or something passing through putting the horse on edge (more likely if they were all worked up, not just one)

luvmysmh

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:15:37 am »

actually, we have one horse in the field who is more likely to get worked up by something out of the ordinary than the rest.  He is the alpha in the herd.  He will race around and get sweaty and blow hard while everyone else is just fine.  It's just his nature I guess.

meely3

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:33:55 am »

Definitely not worked up, just standing around, munching hay on and off, and sweating.  Colic is something I am worried about, and pain. I'm thinking if it was laminitis though, enough pain to make him sweat would show some soreness? He has been lame but it's an ongoing issue in his back end.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:00:52 am »

Have you taken his temperature? Checked vital signs? if there's fever, he's got an infection or virus.

meely3

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 12:03:03 pm »

Yup, he just had a full workup, no fever, no elevated heart rate, nothing on his bloodwork, nothing. 

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:57:41 am »

Just burning calories staying warm.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

meely3

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 05:04:53 am »

I have a hard time seeing this as normal. But I guess anything is possible. Are there other people in the north with sweaty horses?

PAWalker

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:31:59 pm »

Well, I don believe the horse is sweat, without working, in 17 degree weather for nothing.

Precisely what kind of blood work was done because my first thought was Cushings or some other metabolic diseas that throws the glands off kilter.

Was an ACTH test done?  Was blood drawn to test for insulin resistance?

Just those two things require their own viles of blood.

A CBC is one vile, so right there are three viles of blood.

Just saying "blood was drawn" is generic ---- you need to ask the vet exactly what you paid for and if it didn't cover testing for Cushings (the ACTH test), it might be good to ask for that.

These days it doesn't matter what time of year a Cushings test is done, so don't let the vet tell you to wait u til late Spring:)

meely3

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:00:54 pm »

They pulled a basic bloodwork, checked for IR, and Cushings, thyroid, and maybe something else. The cushings test is not back yet for some strange reason but the vet did not think there was much chance of it. I'm not sure which test he used, but it was a one time pull, there was no shot before. Everything else was good except slightly low protein, and I don't know if IR would show up since he isn't getting grain or pasture. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but I would suspect he had at least some issue with it.
 My real concern is that he is having pain, either belly pain from being on bute, or from his arthritis and the bute isn't fixing it any more. If the cushings comes back neg, like the vet expects I am hoping there are other possibilities. But I don't have any and neither does the vet. If we can't manage his pain anymore that is a problem. The vet would like to try about $150 a month in supplements, a different, more expensive painkiller, and osphos at $400 a shot. I don't really know if that is doable, especially with no promise of keeping him comfortable.

Pasolady

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:34 am »

He could be showing signs of ulcers, another reason for sweating, due to pain.  Long term use of Bute or any nsaids will/can cause ulcers.  I would have him checked and treating him wouldn't hurt.

vruste

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:50 am »

Ulcers would be my suspect as well if he's been on consistent bute.  Some are never really affected by it for some reason, and others can't tolerate it over time.  A round of ulcer meds would be a cheap test (cheaper than a scope).

meely3

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:23 am »

I wasn't really sure how the bute caused belly pain, but if it's ulcers, then that means a round of meds and he has to get off the bute, correct?

PAWalker

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 04:05:40 pm »

Here's a link to an article that explains why Bute can cause ulcers.  And the good thing is you don't have to read thru an entire one of "lead in" information; the reasons are right at the beginning :)

https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2017/05/22/gastric-ulcers-horse-bute-side-effects/

meely3

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 03:37:42 am »

Thank you for that! It does really explain the why, unfortunately it's the same solution. Expensive supplements that may or may not help.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up