Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overweight and I R horses, something other than Heiro  (Read 199 times)

pasolucy

Overweight and I R horses, something other than Heiro
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:07:50 am »

I realize the Heiro is a product that works and there is also Platinum Plus Metabolic Balancer that works but both are very expensive to use.   I have used Ultra Cruz Horse Chromium Yeast Supplement for years and it has done wonders for my horses.   I have several friends using it now, I buy the 10 pound bag and weigh it out to share with my friends. We have 8 horses on it at this time.   My daughters horse was very close to sever founder and we put her on this,  the farrier was so impressed with her rapid improvement that he has gotten all of the information from me to tell his other clients.  A friend had her horse on Platinum Plus Metabolic balancer and their vitamins and I changed her to my program.   Her vet says her horse has never looked better and he has been on it for two years.   It has saved her over $600.00 in less than 8 months.   The chromium must be fed with Magnesium oxide for it to work correctly.   In some areas the feed stores don’t seem to know what you are  talking about .   It is feed grade mag ox fed to cattle for grass tetany but is also fed to horses.  There are many benefits to feeding a horse mag ox.  Look it up on the computer.   I just soak up a tiny bit of low carb pellets and add the supplements to that,  the horses are slurping it right down. 

https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/ultracruz-equine-chromium-yeast-horse-supplement

UltraCruz® Horse Chromium Yeast Supplement
(This is just a piece that I pulled off of a horse site.
My vet recommended the magnesium supplement from Southern States that is designed as a cattle feed additive but can also be fed to horses. A 50 lb bag was roughly $25 and has lasted a year. I feed it to my RMH that was grossly obese when I bought her. I have her weight under control but she still has a huge crest.) )
Live, Live, Live, life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death

Willamette Valley, Oregon

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Overweight and I R horses, something other than Heiro
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:18:46 pm »

I suspect that the things missing in your soil...and therefore your forage, are very different from me, here in the midwest.  Magnesium is crucial to all our horses, and especially IR horses.  Chromium is important, too, but I will bet you are more short n chromium than I am, as I am more short on Magnesium than you are.
I feed Remission, which does have some chromium in it, and MgO. 
And people on the east coast have problems that neither you nor I have!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

pasolucy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:26 pm »

I do not believe that I lack in the soil,  there are too many supplements that add chromium to make it just a northwest problem.   Uckele, Platinum Plus, Chromassit are just a few.   It may not be a cure all for everyone but by buying it in a 10 lb bag it is very economical and has worked on many different horses.  If you read up on it they are even trying it for cushing horses.  All I know is that without it I have to keep my horses off of the grass most of the time.   We live in grass seed country and even right now the grass is growing.  Without this I would be able to let them out in the pasture for a couple hours every other day.  Now with this they are out every day for at least 4 hours and sometimes much longer.  They each have a very large lot with a shed and a slow grazer which I also love.  The thing about the slow grazer is that it keeps the fat horse thinner and the thin horse with a better weight.  Love it.

pasolucy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:52:06 pm »

I just called to make another order of the chromium and found out that it is no longer available on line in the 10 lb bag of powder so I sent them an email.   Here it all is. Ms. Steele,

We appreciate your feedback and your support of our product. This is still available as a 10-lb bag of the powder as a custom order. All you or anyone will need to do is contact us, and we will be glad to produce it as a custom product for you.

If we have enough requests, we will be glad to look into bringing it back as a regularly available product. Until that time, do not worry - you can still get it through us.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Customer Care
customercare@scahealth.com
Santa Cruz Animal Health
Phone: 1-800-457-3801 [Ext 3]

On Jan 31, 2018, at 2:38 PM, rockspur@unions-america.com wrote:

This is just one persons heart felt plea to please bring back the 10 pound bag of Chromium powder.   Your pellets are twice the price to feed and
if you are feeding a barn full of horses it is putting the cost to high.   Take into consideration your customers and their needs please.  I am using this
product and have gotten four other barns to start using it because it is economic to use.  I just posted on a horse forum about this product and now
I will have to go back and tell them that you have doubled the price.   It will make it harder for other people to try this and see if it works for
their horses.

Thank you,
Carol Steele

pasolucy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:33:14 pm »

In reference to Kysa post.  Remission is Chromium and Magnesium and there is more Chromium in Remission than what I am feeding.   Of course with me feeding the Chromium yeast and Mag  Ox separately I can adjust  it to any level that I think I need.  I am feeding the level that is provided in
Platinum Plus Metabolic Balancer and probably a tenth of the cost. 

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:03 am »

I hope you didn’t think I was discounting your experience...I think it great, and glad you are sharing it with others. 

I test my hay every year, although the mineral content doesn’t change much.  That is a function of the soil, where the protein and carbs, and fiber content is a function of the forage species and the growing conditions, and the maturity at cutting.

Most of the cultivated land used for hay in the USA is low in magnesium.  That is a good supplement for just about any horse.  I tried to find chromium levels in soils throuch out the USA, and could not find that information.  I do know that I live in an area of high selenium content, so I must not add more to my horses diet.  This is tough as I need to add vitamin E, and almost all equine vitamin e supplements also contain selenium. 

I also have an issue that my hay is high in iron.  This means I have to supplement copper and zinc as all three minerals are absorbed via the same mechanism.  With too much iron present, the copper and zinc will not get adequately absorbed.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences and the link to the product you use.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up