Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: coming back  (Read 411 times)

JMR - Scout and Cisco

coming back
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:50:47 am »

I came in here about a year ago and there was very little of what I remembered this being.  Only a few people and not really many that I recognized.  This time I at the least, remember some of you.  I am going to try to come back and keep up again now that I am retired from work.  We are also planning to move from the north east in the next couple of years.  I am hoping sooner than later.  We are looking at KY for sure.  We love going there on vacation each year and can't wait to get Steve to retire so we can go shopping for a farm there.  We still have 4 horses.  I think we had Ariel and Scout when I was on here before, but now we also have Blaze and Cisco also.  Winchester had to be put down before we even moved to PA from NY.  My husband got rid of one of his horses also and replaced him with a gaited horse finally.   So, it is nice to have him on a safer horse and one that is gaited.  Ariel can no longer be ridden because of being lame with arthritis.  So we only have 3 actual riding horses.  Ariel just comes along for the ride when we go camping with the horses.  I have tried to get Steve to have Ariel down but he refuses and keeps her even if she does limp around the pasture and can not move very fast or be ridden. 

Love to hear from some of the original people that I use to chat with.  I will try to get back in the grove again and stop in here to see what all is going on in the other states besides NY and PA. 

Jeanne  Root
Milan, PA 

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: coming back
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:12:21 am »

Jeanne!!!!
So good to hear from you. 
Best wishes for a move to Kentucky.  I know I will live in SD forever, but I am getting really tired of winter.  And this winter has not been that long...just cold and tough.
My bad news is that I had to put down Shay this past fall.  She was entirely blind, and as the lead horse, would follow her lesser horses around.  I feared her getting hung up on the fence.  She was 28.
So, between Jane and I we have my two Mountain horses, Savanna I bought from Cyd and Molly the wonder horse that I got from Jim Stewart.
Jane now has a Mountain Plasure horse, as well as a Paso Fino we got from Deb at Crest ridge.  And we just got a non gaited Curly pony gelding for Janes granddaughter who is quite allergic to horses.  That will be the next adventure and I will post all about it here.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:41:59 pm by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

PAWalker

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:04 am »

Hello Jeanne! ;D

You're soon going to wonder how you got everything done before you retired ---- now that you've retired, nothing will get done unless it involves the horses:)

I am so sorry about Winchester.:(.    I had to lay Duke and Streeter to rest ----- six months apart.  Duke was first at age 27.  Streeter was always a hard keeper and it seems like he gave up after Duke's passing so, at age 29, I sent him on to his ancestors.  Those two have been BFF's for 22 years.

I still have Rusty who is coming 24 in April, and Joker is 22-1/2.  They are here for the duration.

Rusty is still ornery, in good health and will probably live into his 30's.  Rusty is very rideable but he has always been work to ride.  I now regret not putting more wet blankets on him, instead of riding Duke all the time, lol

Joker is such a kind and  forgiving horse but fraught with health issues.  Right now he is doing very well but is still pretty much a pasture pet.

If you're looking at Kentucky, double check to see if they got rid of their TPP tax -- Tangible Personal Property Tax.  It was the one big thing that stopped me from looking at KY as a possible place to retire with my horses and all my equipment.

Also, some areas of KY are more notorious for sink holes than TN.  An Ohio friend who transferred from GM Lordstown to the Corvette Plant in BG,  bought 20 acres just NW of Bowling Green and ended up selling out at a loss because sink holes kept popping up and the land was not safe for her horses --- and it had been sold to her as horse property ---

I am so glad you folks are doing well and you are finally retired!  Hopefully Steve won't be too far behind you 8)

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:28 pm »

Nice to hear from you, Jeanne. We quit breeding several years ago, castrated our stallion, Pete and now have 5 horses. We wanted to keep one of Pete T's offspring, and that is Halle. We still have Lacey and Rusty Lady, who's still the queen at age 24. I had a bout with sick horses during the holidays, with Babe (you should remember him) spending 5 days at Equine Specialty Hospital. Rusty was the other one that got sick but not quite as sick as Babe. It was a mystery illness, probably from a contaminated round bale. Other than that, we're probably doing what you're doing...enduring winter and dreaming of warm days on the trail.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:38 pm »

Welcome back.
I am still showing.  Driving more than riding. Our Grand daughter is riding and showing with me and doing very well on my little STB Ace.

We had been looking to move out of RI but we can not get what we need.  Me a VA with a good womans clinic and my benefits not taxed.  Mike is now retired so we can pretty much do what we want to.
I am driving a beautiful Fresian mare that belongs to our trainer and instructor so life is beyond good here in RI
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

ponymare

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:28:24 pm »

Great to see you here Jeanne!  Maybe we will get to ride together now that you are retired!  We still have our property near Big South Fork, in TN but so far, we haven't made many improvements.  We do have water and electricity and the beginnings of a fence.  I hope we will move further along with that project in the spring. 

We don't have my little Princess anymore.  We gave her to a lady for light riding and mostly being a pasture pet.  We still have Sunny, the baby we raised. He will be 17 in June. I can't believe he is that old now.  We also have a horse that was given to us by a friend because she had too many horses. He is a tall, gangly old time Walker.  We got him when he was 4 and my husband broke him to ride.  A couple of years ago he lost the vision in his left eye, but he is doing pretty well, as long as we remember to help him watch out for things on trail rides.  He gets around the pasture fine.  For a "free"  horse, he has been pretty costly, but he is a good boy.

We are in the planning stages of retirement but it will probably be 4 more years before I can retire and maybe more for my husband.  We will just have to see how it plays out.

I don't get here as often as some folks but I try to check in and I write in my journal every once in a while. Mainly so I can remember events haha!

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »

Welcome back Jeanne!
Glad you both will soon be retired and ready to move.  I retired in July of this year, but hubby and I have been sort of plagued with health issues since then. We are down to one horse...the one in my avatar and he is in his 20's. Due to our health we have not been riding, but we still enjoy fooling with him and love to see him in the pasture...even if he is alone.  My neighbors have 3 horses so he can visit with them over the fence.

Good luck with your search for a new place. Post about your search..... :) We all like to weigh in!

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 10:09:14 am »

Hey there !! 
Pretty much same stuff with us.  Our "Rainmaker Baby"  -IB -will be 11 in April -- I got her from Jim when Claudette passed away in 2012.
Mike still has his Rocky -- Banks and he will be 18 in March.     Doc will be 31 in a couple of months.

We still camp and ride-  for some reason our riding has been closer to home that it once was. We still go to Shawnee National Forest -- but usually
now once a year instead of 2.     We haven't been to TN in a couple of years --- I honestly don't know where the time goes.

I'm still working part time -- and doing expo's , etc with CQ Equine.  I'm hoping to give up the part time job in 18 months or so ------

I have a 4 year old grandaughter that is horse crazy---  I love it .  Her favorite is IB -- she says Banks is "too slow"  ha ha  .  Her brother is
5 and can take or leave the horses-- he prefers the tractor and 4 wheeler.

Hope you find your perfect place in KY -- we love Southern Indiana for lots of reasons -- one including lots of trails very near our house.
Hope to see you back on here soon--
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

riding the sun

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:50:28 pm »

Hi there Jeanne!! So glad you're back on here. Sounds like you're still camping. We are too, but getting older and slowing down some. We still have Keeper and I have Copper, a twh. You need to get Steve retired so you can move! Glad you are back on here I've missed you.
My favorite trail is the next one

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:36 am »

OH WOW!!  I wasn't aware of how many of you still are here.  I will try to keep up on here again now that I ran across the site again.  It was so much fun chatting and planning with everyone.  Well, with Steve still working, I do more of the home stuff that he did before.  Just little things, but it adds up.  We also get to eat at more normal dinner hours also. 

My Dalmatian, Maggi had to be put down late last year and I am now riding Blaze and Scout.  Steve has took over riding Cisco and Blaze also.  Ariel has arthritis in both front feet and can hardly walk around.  Steve refuses to put her down, so she is just there to keep someone company.  But you can see she is in a lot of pain. 

Steve is off work right now on Workers Comp.  He had surgery done Wed. this week for the damage.  So, glad we have had very little snow.  The driveway has got a track wore in to get up to the top where we park, and back down again to go out.  But with Steve off on workers comp. from an injury at work to his leg, he can not really plow the driveway with the tractor.  So, we are hoping and praying for no big storms to come through and fill in our driveway.  So, we keep watching the weather and so far so good that we are not going to be snowed into our house till spring when the snow melts. 

We do have a new puppy now too.  We got her about 4 months ago in KY.   We camped at Elkins Creek in southern OH late fall for a 1 last time before the winter weather moved in, and drove into KY to pick up my new puppy from a breeder.   She is a Boxer also.  So we now have 2 Boxers who just love to play and play and play.  Her name is Abbi and Kandi was so sad after Maggi had to be put down and just moped around that we had to get her a playmate.  So we bought this 2nd Boxer so they could grow up together and were the same play activity level.  Which can be high speed wrestling or chasing each other.  Then then they just crash and sleep a lot.  Abbi is house broke well now too.  So everything here is rolling along nicely.  But can't wait till spring so we can really do some riding again. 

Now that I got time to ride, I just have to find others that are retired or not working so I can have someone to ride with.  I just will not ride alone.  I don't feel it is a smart thing to do.  My horses are good, but there are bears and other critters in our area, and my horses are not bomb proof or bear proof.  But Steve and I do camp still as much as we can.  So we get to ride some times but can't wait till Steve retires from the moving business.  Then we will be able to do a lot more fun things, rather than trying to keep up this current house.  We already have a buyer for our house.  It is the couple we bought it from.  They moved into town because of their young children who were in school and are now grown and on their own.  So, they want to move back in the country again and are holding out till we are ready to let them have the house back where we are. 

I will not miss this house after all the crap we had from the new owner next door.  His real estate person told him that they owned all the way to the old fence line, which was incorrect.  So, we both had it surveyed and proved where the lines ran, but still ended up in court to prove it and the neighbor lied to the judge, so we didn't end up getting anything done for the damage.  But now we have an exact line where the lines go and we have more pasture than we thought, which is all good.  Which we fenced in all the pasture we could by following the surveyed marked points.  But it was a pain getting to that point as well as expensive.  We will get the funds back when we retire and put this house up for sale.

So, for now everything in our lives is good.  I am going to really try to keep up with everyone again and hope to get to ride with some of you this year and upcoming years.  Once we get Steve retired and move our selves to a farm in KY, I will be able to do a whole lot more riding and find new friends to ride with in KY when Steve doesn't feel like riding.  I just have no one close by us or who wants to trailer to some where to ride or come over and ride around our area.  Steve likes to ride too, but not as constantly as I would like to do.  So, I hope to be able to do more riding once he retires and make new friends that I can ride with if Steve doesn't want to.  I just refuse to ride alone.  I don't think it is a smart thing to do no matter how good your horse is.  And moving to KY will give us a much longer season for riding also.  This north east winters are horrible.

Jeanne 

ahmenti

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 06:19:21 am »

Welcome back Jeannie.  I remember you being on here!  I thought you lived somewhere near me in VA? (i am in wv, border of VA).  I could be wrong-you know how that memory thing goes!! lol.  Sorry to hear about your horses-we love them so much; it's hard when we have to make decisions.  We still have 8 and breed most years for a few foals.  This year we will be having 4 babies which we have never had.  I look to be very busy mid June when they are all due.  My hubby is retired now but I am still plugging along.  We have a group we camp with in the summer and we really enjoy ourselves.

I love Big South fork, and would love to retire there one of these days but don't see it happening.  I will just visit there once a year if able.

Kim

Walkin45

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:08:32 pm »

Welcome back, Jeanne. It's good to hear from you.

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 07:27:22 am »

We live in PA just over the border from NY.  Steve is still working in NY and hopes to work a couple more years.  I hope he changes his mind on that.  I am sick of this area and ready to move onto something better.   Steve's health is not the best.  He has had 2 heart attacks and is doing well right now.  But you never know as well as I can not take care of our current home we live in.  The driveway is the worst thing in winter weather.  I can not drive the tractor we have and many times in the cold weather, Steve can not get it to run either. It is a diesel tractor.   So, then we are snowed in with no way out.  Way too long  a driveway to shovel the snow out.  But he keeps fighting me on retiring before 65.  I just can not see how I can handle 2 more years in this house with the fear of Steve having another heart attack.  So, right now it is a stand off on what we are going to do.  The only thing we agree on is living in KY.  If something did happen to Steve and I was alone at this home, I would be out of here as quick as possible.  I even have a buyer that wants our home.  It is the same ones that owned it when we bought it.  Their kids are now grown and gone now, so they want to move back to our house.  Works for me.  Makes that part of moving much easier.

So, right now we are unsure of an actual date to move to KY but eventually it will happen,.

Jeanne

kckc

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:05:57 am »

Hey Jeanne,

If you have a buyer for the horse maybe you can talk Steve into renting something for the next couple of years?  hope you can get to KY !
NC

2gaits

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 11:40:20 am »

Hi,
This board is definitely slower than it was 20 years ago when I got the first gaited horse and needed help with gait. I think Facebook has taken over but I for the most part dislike it.
Still have two horses that I've had for a long time. Both have lameness issues and I don't do as much with them. They are probably my last two horses.
Good luck with your eventual move.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up