Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: article on starting horses too young  (Read 123 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: article on starting horses too young
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:48:23 am »

Wow, that is a good article.
And I am reminded that the tradition for the Lipizzaners is not to back them until they are 6.  Wise move.

And I have a friend wanting to buy a barely started 6 year old mare.  A cowboy friend of hers is recommending don’t buy the horse.  Why?  Because he is of the opinion that whatever training a horse has by 4 is it, after that it is too late.  Yes, a cowboy who likes to start 2 year olds.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:39 am »

I'd like to see a horse have been saddled, gotten on, ground work by 4 or 5 ... thinking they at least have started kindergarten... although when you see all the "actually wild" horses started later in life some of my preconceptions of teaching them young may not be valid
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:02:31 am »

For many years I have been sick over what some breeds do to their babies and yes that includes STBs.

One of the things I love about my trainer is that the Fresians don't do much, lead in and out of the barn learn about grooming and all that kind of stuff and are not even lunged or ground driven until at least 3 depending on the horse and it's development.  Riding comes later on.  And showing under saddle even longer.
He does tend to start them driving as 4 yr olds and that is lightly  driven.

Kysa, I hope your friend does not pay attention to the cowboy
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:50:18 am »

One of the strong plus-es for my awesome trail/endurance Arabian Smokey (IAHA Mon Baskel) was that he was "just a horse" until age 6.  Just out on a big pasture w/ a few dozen other horses, with the lions share of his human contact being an older couple who didn't know much about horses, but agreed for the horses to live on their place while the father of their late owner sorted out her estate.  She died as a result of a motorcycle accident when he was maybe a year old, it took 4 more years to get everything sorted out so all the horses could be sold.  He was most amazing steady Eddie trail horse a person could ask for. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

luvmysmh

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 12:26:09 pm »

I've often thought/hoped that Wish will maintain his physical condition into his later years because he was worked so lightly when he was young.  He was broke when he turned 3, but I bought him a few months after that.  Because I had my riding accident then and really lost confidence, he was very lightly ridden until he turned 8.  Some round pen work, some ring work, and very minimal trail work (sometimes only 10 minutes at a time!) was all either one of us could mentally and emotionally handle.  It was only when he turned 8 that I sent him to a trainer for serious work and then started putting on the miles myself.  He has also mostly been kept on field board his whole life.  Between those two things I am really hoping that he stays sound well into his senior years.  He's going to be 15 this year and his legs are still clean.  By the time my QH was 10 he had navicular and ringbone and at 15 arthritis in his knees.

Equinejedi

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:04:33 am »

Many thanks KysaSD. I am the author of equinejedi.com. Glad you enjoyed the article and hoping to bring out many more very soon!😀
May the Horse Be With You!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:45 am »

You are so very welcome.

And welcome to Gaited Horse Sense.  I hope you come back and share more wisdom with us.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:54:07 am »

Many thanks KysaSD. I am the author of equinejedi.com. Glad you enjoyed the article and hoping to bring out many more very soon!😀
May the Horse Be With You!

Very interesting article. A few things are starting to come together for me regarding the TWH, a breed I really like for trail riding. It seems that many (most) trainers that I've encountered put these horse under saddle at 2 years of age. Since many are also large horses, as your article suggests, this is not deemed risky. I can see the result of stress in a horse I now own. We have not been able to pinpoint the source of the stress, but now I am beginning to believe it has been something this horse endured long before I acquired him. Wishing I knew how to counter the effects of too-early stress in this horse.

On a horse search FB page, there was recently a lively discussion because one would-be buyer had the audacity to question how early a specific horse of interest had been put under saddle. There ensued a heated thread of the ability of horses to handle early riding or not. I wonder how and if a person can find horses for sale that have not been started too soon!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 12:09:15 pm »

Buy from someone you know.  I bought Savanna, having heard all her training stories from Cyd, from a youngster onward.  All her ground training...the day she was being lead down the road and a truck backfired next to her!  Backing her lightly at age 3.  Actually doing riding training ages 4 and 5, but not strenuous.  I rode her at age 5, then bought her the next spring at 6.  Savanna is not perfect, but she is sure a good horse.  And I know she was never mishandled, nor ridden to much too soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up