Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving horses....to new places, new owners  (Read 714 times)

fargos handmaiden

Re: Moving horses....to new places, new owners
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »

I hate to see horses bounced around too. Another of many reasons why I keep struggling with Speedy's crazy nonstop shying. Never thought about his maybe not being settled in yet. It is going on two years. Part is, points against poor.little guy, I still have my heart horse.Fargo and just can't come to grips.that he can't be my trail buddy any more.  I guess e as I need to think about it ffrom his view. Speedy came from New York with lots of woods. Here, it's flat, open, tireless.and.really super windy.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 05:46:05 pm »

Well, wind is certainly a trigger for Buster to be uptight.  He will just have to get used to it.  But the days he is a pocket pony, there is little wind.  I suspect it will take a couple years to get completely used to it.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 04:14:40 am »

My horses basically live in the woods, so open spaces can be a huge adjustment for them. In open spaces, the horizon is suddenly far away, with tiny things to look at. They can't tell where sounds are coming from. Then there's the wind...

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 06:09:56 pm »

We are in a wooded area also, and ride in mostly wooded trail parks.   Shiloh would not do well at your place Kysa, she hates when I ride her in our open fields at our farm.  Maybe I should send out to you Kysa for a few months, she might appreciate our small open fields here, compared to the vast openness of South Dakota!! ;D
MJ

ponymare

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 02:13:00 pm »

None of ours are completely at ease in open areas. They much prefer the woods which is surprising to me since their ancestors were used to animals preying on them from above like mountain lions, etc!

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 04:56:20 pm »

Yes, Ponymare, that's the same thought I've had, at least in an open area, you would have a chance to spot the predator and run for it, instead of having a predator jump on your back from a rock or tree!!
MJ

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 05:07:11 pm »

Yes....but horses have been domesticated for at least 4000 years.  Yes, they still have some prey animal instincts, but they have not lived as prey for many thousand years. 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 05:33:59 am »

I think it has much to do with whatever they've become accustomed to since birth. Horses born at our place have typically never had the chance to focus their vision on anything more than @ 1/8 mile away until the first time they leave their pasture. The two adult mares we bought came from eastern KY, where they were closely surrounded by hills and woods. All these horses were uneasy when we took them somewhere with wide open spaces. I remember the first time we took Savanna into a big field, she just about unraveled as she assessed distance she had never before experienced. When she arrived on the actual prairie (her new home with Kysa), it took her a while to get used to far away horizons and figure out where noises were actually coming from.

OTOH, we got a mare who had grown up in the wide open plains of Wyoming. She had adapted to living in PA, but any time we took here where you could see for some distance, her focus was immediately on the furthest horizon. The first time Rob rode her down the road, she wasn't looking for lions in the surrounding bushes, but was totally concentrated on a moving vehicle a mile down the road. Her instincts were still telling her to watch for danger coming from afar.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 08:21:38 am »

Buster continues to improve.  Both Lindsay and I are confused by his fear reactions, but I honestly don't think anyone has ever mistreated him.  He is just so jumpy when we work him alone.  We will continue to work him alone, but when he is with other horses, he is much much better.  And our grandchildren will not be riding alone for many years to come.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up