Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing problems (me) and mowing  (Read 150 times)

Laurie

Breathing problems (me) and mowing
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:44:11 pm »

I have a question for those of you who mow and bushhog your land.  I am the primary mower here because my husband has developed some lung issues and mowing really hurts him.  So for the past 10 or 15 years I have done the majority of the mowing.  It takes me two or three days to mow it all and I only have 12.5 acres.
The back pasture takes about 4 hours. The front pasture takes about 3 hours, and the house about 2.  I do it over two or three days.

Here’s the problem..2017 was a bad year for me health wise.  It began with pulmonary embolisms in January – discovered when I was becoming breathless when walking or exerting in any way – other than sitting.

Anyway, the last several months have seen a return of the breathing problems which sent me to a pulmonary doctor.  Then I caught this horrible contagious respiratory virus that was going around which caused you to cough nonstop and have a head and chest full of junk. 

Anyway….I am being treated for all of that….but I have started really worrying about when mowing season rolls around again.  The shortness of breath does not seem to be improving, and I am afraid mowing will kill me :-[

So.....Do any of you mow wearing a mask of any kind?  I tried one of those cloth things this summer and had to remove it almost immediately – I thought I was going to suffocate it was so hot!  When its 95 degrees you need all the air you can get! 
So, do any of you suffer from severe bronchitis and if you mow how do you manage?

If you use a mask or respirator – what kind – and does it suffocate you?

Looking for any advice……..thanks!

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Breathing problems (me) and mowing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »

John has asthma and does okay mowing, but wears a respirator like the one below when he weed wacks. 

https://www.amazon.com/3M-07193-Cartridge-Respirator-Assembly/dp/B00079FOK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515702981&sr=8-1&keywords=respirator+mask

He had me wear it when I was grinding cement in the garage, and it made a HUGE difference.  I was in a cloud of dust and didn't have any issues breathing.  I will say it's hot and not terribly comfortable though :-(

Karen

kckc

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:59:29 pm »

with going through all that, can you not hire someone to mow for you ... I see ads around here (NC) for people to come mow and cut brush for fairly reasonable rates.   
NC

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:29 pm »

KC-I have thought about hiring someone, but I retired in July.....hubby was already retired and we are living on less income than we were.  If we have the kind of rain we had last summer, I will have to bushhog the front weekly and mow with the lawnmower every 3 or 4 days around the house. I don't think I can afford to pay someone to mow as often as needed. I can do the back pasture less often...probably every other week.

Karen...thanks for the mask reference. I will try something like that before I give up ;)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:15:28 pm by Laurie »

PAWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »

Here, in Middle Tennessee, the going rate to bushog is $50  per acre.. And forget having someone mow -- we don't have a suburbia yard -- it's part of an old pasture and rough with a lot of trees.  The angle between the garage and the road is so steep, I hang onto the opposite fender so I don't slide off the tractor ---it's too short to waste time mowing up and down.

We have 25 acres.  Bushogging is 30 hours, 4-5 times seasonally and mowing is 6-8 hours every 7-10 days, so I feel your anguish :(

Laurie, you may have to take a hard look at the link Karen posted.

I do ok with just one of those cloth masks but I also have to wear a back brace which adds to my heat index.

I put  ice cubes in a big wash cloth and pack that between The Girls.  I also carry two bottles of water -- one to drink and one to keep my do-rag wet, thus keep my head cool.if I am mowing by the barn, I will get off the tractor and run the water hose over my head.

I don't like ice packs as they don't stay cold near as long as ten big ice cubes last.

My point is, trying to keep your body temperature even a few degrees cooler will help you tolerate the respirator; it will also keep your heart rate down a little bit.

That's about the best I can offer:)

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:20:15 pm »

PAWalker....I'm in WestTN. I have seen adds for cutting, but I have not called any of them yet. I imagine that costs would be similar here for bushhogging. My acerage is mostly flat and there are no trees in the pastures.  All my trees are around the edges of the property and driveway and around the pond.  The area around the pond is the only place that is not  flat. I am blessed that most of my mowing is just riding the tractor over flat land. I just use the mower around the house and driveway - the rest I bushhog.  Now that I am retired I can mow at different times of the day that when I was working which may help me with the heat.

I am going to order one of those respirator masks and try it.  Fortunately its a few months away. I'm sick now with this severe bronchitis, so I'm trying to plan ahead.

Its scary feeling that I can't do the things I need to do around here.......

PAWalker

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:51:48 pm »

Its scary feeling that I can't do the things I need to do around here.......

Yes it is and it's also very frustrating:(. I have been fully retired since 2011.  I can still do the things I did in 2011 ----just not nearly as fast.

This southern heat/humidity is not my friend.    I would be glad to see this next cold snap (that's probably on your doorstep as I write), if it weren't for the ice we are going to get with it.

It's supposed to be 61(F) at 5:00 AM; drop to 45 by 7:00 AM; bottom out to 28 by 2:00 PM.  That means rain turns to freezing sleet and I will likely turn my horses out in lightweight blankets.

If the main pastures start icing up, I will lock them in the front two pastures where it's flat.  I think tomorrow (Friday) will be one of those few times I wish I had money for a closed arena -- nothing fancy just something under cover where they could exercise when the ice storms hit.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:10:46 pm »

Laurie,
Can I also suggest mowing a smaller fraction of  your property, let some of it go to pasture, or similar use.  It is not worth killing yourself over.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:16:17 pm »

Yes, I am dreading the weather that is supposed to come tonight (don't read this Kysa ;D ;D).....as we are supposed to get a little ice and snow overnight and tomorrow.  I would't mind an inch or two of snow, but they are talking about ice, which is no fun.....and since hubby is sick with a respiratory virus, I will be feeding. He usually does all of the feeding but since he's sick I have been doing it.

Today it got up to about 65 which has been nice.  Nothing is frozen up but they are talking about it dropping to 29 when the weather moves in at midnight. We are down to one horse and one kennel dog. Horse can go in his stall if he wants to, and the kennel is covered.

Laurie

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »

Kysa.......I thought about doing that in the back where the horse and barn are, but the front I kind of have to keep mowed.  I share the driveway with my neighbor - who is lovely, but he keeps his property groomed like a golf course - he actually cuts his front pasture with a finish mower.......I don't cut as often as he does but I try to keep the  front neat. I may try that this summer and see if I can stand it.  I'm used to it all looking groomed.....would have to adjust to it not being mowed....

Walkin45

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 08:35:38 pm »

I mow my pastures regular. But i don't have a lawn mower so just now a path from house to barn with a small bush hog. I have to pay to have my lawn mowed and I get it done 2-3 times a year. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up