Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting in a camping cabin  (Read 634 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Putting in a camping cabin
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:50 am »

Lots has changed for me this past year.  Starting with moving my parents to a grandparent cottage right next door to me.  Moving them, cleaning out their house, and getting it ready for renters took my entire summer.

My dad is so frail.  And that scares me.  My dad is 23 years older than I am.  Is that me in another 23 years?

I keep my horses on my dads property during the summer, and I currently have a 1975 camper sitting out there.  I camp it if often, but the past three years the roof has leaked, and I just cannot seem to get it sealed up again.  I have actually wanted a teeny tiny house out there, with the idea I would live there permanently if my husband died.  Looking at my dad, this is not a good plan.  And they may be less than a real hous, but still they are too expensive.  But I have a goal to camp out there with my grandkids as often as possible.  Maybe I only have 20 years left to do that.  I need to do it now.

So, I put a down payment on a storage shed type cabin...with a 30 year metal roof!  Once I get it in place, I can gradually add electricity and water.

The shed itself will look like this.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Putting in a camping cabin
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:56:55 am »

Tentive finishing plan

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:12:29 am »

That looks very realistic! There is an Amish company about three miles from our house that makes such buildings. Very high quality, with the roof like in your picture. We have one of their smaller buildings at our horse camp for hay storage and stuff.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

ahmenti

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:45 am »

Love the shed.  We have been talking about going tiny for a while now.  We don't have a house at our farm; it's 9 miles away.  Not sure yet what we are doing but we have thought about converting a shed to a house.  Not really sure yet.

I would love an a frame house around 600 - 800 sq feet but to have someone build one is going to be expensive.

Kim

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:19:54 am »

We have 3 similar "barns", in 3 different sizes.  The biggest one we converted into a garage for our vette, by closing in the front porch.  Before we bought these, we started by pricing equivalent materials and building them ourselves.  Turned out that the pre-fab ones were just a little more than what we would have paid for materials.  Ours are "WeatherKing" brand, constructed about 200 miles from us.  For us it was a winning move.  The medium sized one is our tack room, and the "baby" is my "garden shed", with interior additions still on the drawing board. 
From time to time, we daydream about finding a little piece of land in the mountains easily accessible to public land for riding, and IF that ever happens, we'd seriously consider buying another one of these barns to turn into an "off grid" vacation cottage.  Ours have proven to be well built--it was pretty tough to undo what we needed to undo to enclose the front porch.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:58:10 am »

I like it.   Online this weekend I saw several nice barns with houses/apartments built in.. all one level and a couple where you didn't even have to go outside to access the barn.  Some with stalls that opened up to overhangs and I guess then into pastures.  More than I could afford even though these weren't fancy ... but it did make me think about the future.  And what I would do... boarding seems like the option I'm facing.   If I had lots of pasture maybe I could have boarders that did all the work but that probably would end up more of a headache.   And yes, if you don't do it now then when?
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:36:28 pm »

The barn I ordered is a 12x36 footprint, with a 12x30 room inside.  And two 12x12 sleeping lofts.  I should be able to get two double and 1-2 single mattresses on each end and really stack in the grandkids.  And one queen sofa bed downstairs so grandma doesn’t have to do a ladder!
The barn, with spray insulation under the floor and the extra windows is $10700, delivered and leveled.
So far, plumbing and electricity is estimated at $3500 each.  We will have to get creative with the plumbing, making the drain lines above grade, and the incoming water so we can shut off and drain every fall.  But all that should be doable.
Kitchen cabinets and appliances will be purchased at the local ReStore.  And I will do insulation and paneling inside myself.  Very responsible estimate of $21,000 to $23,000 completed.  And that is an amount I can afford.  And, I will get a lot out it. 

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:11 pm »

Looks like a really good plan.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:59:44 pm »

I should add that I went to a plant that makes manufactured homes, including teeny tiny homes.  I looked at one in progress, smaller than above, no lofts, and it was $47,000.  Way more than my husband will let me spend on this.   So I get closer to what I really want, I really want those lofts to stack in grandkids.  And way less money, and with water I can disconnect easily for t makes it more useful for me. 

ponymare

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 02:26:41 pm »

How very cool!  You will certainly have a great cabin for you and the grands when you are finished! :)

kckc

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 04:04:27 pm »

as far as I can tell the tiny homes are  a bit of a ripoff - around here they cost $100 or more  a square foot to build... and if I understood it correctly there a bunch more charges to add in ... granted I haven't checked around but wow... I like looking at the people who've made tiny houses out of storage containers, school buses etc...
NC

Laurie

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »

Kysa, it looks like a good plan for you. I have been going through a similar deal with my mother. She is currently in an assisted living facility and I am going to have to clean out her house, have an estate sale and put the house on the market.  I can't keep her with me as my house is not set up for wheelchairs and handicapped access which she needs in her current condition at age 93.

I don't want a "tiny house", but I am thinking about downsizing at some point. The older I get the less room I want to live in, and take care of....whatever I downsize to will be on one level, handicap accessible with wide doorways and a full handicap bath!  I have learned from dealing with my mother that you need to plan ahead for this :o

you are smart doing this now...... :)

One of my big concerns is whether I will be able to keep up with the mowing of my place......and I only have 12.5 acres! I can't imagine how you do it.

Kalli

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 05:18:17 pm »

Kysa, Interesting that I’ve been thinking along similar lines for about 2 years but last week actually got online to look for land and ideas. I’d already been casually keeping my eyes open for a few acres close to where I keep my horse. Not as a full time place to live but as a place to stay overnight occasionally.  I go back and forth between putting up a very small permanent structure much like the one you showed above or considering a small camper type trailer.

Of course, this is all dependent on finding a few acres that would work for me and so far nothing has popped up for sale that would work for my purpose. And I go back and forth between preferring a small permanent structure or going with a small camper trailer. The advantage to the trailer is that if it’s not permanent and if it’s only there for a short time each year my property taxes will be a LOT cheaper.

With regard to your aging parents, I’ve really struggled in dealing with my mom and dad. I retired earlier than planned so I could help them. Turned out my mom was much more advanced in her dementia than we thought. Dad had done a great job covering for her.  My parents did everything right: they ate a healthy diet, exercised regularly and stayed active both physically and mentally and volunteered for many community organizations over their entire (67 yr) married life.  Granted, they are now 87 & 90, but Mom’s been going downhill for at least a decade and Dad’s now fading.  Sad to lose them in this way.  They tried so hard to avoid this. ☹️

I feel as you do in that we don’t know how many healthy, active years we have left. Follow through with your plans! 

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 05:57:32 am »

Kalli,
Check your local zoning laws.  For me, this is considered temporary, and not a part of the property.  Same as a camper. 
I do have a camper on this site right now, and the size is ideal for me alone, but not adding many grandkids.  And the camper roof has a leak.  I have worked on repairing it for three years.  The repairs hold for a bit, then it leaks again.  However, my camper is 40 years old, so a newer one might not have that issue.  My number one reason for choosing the shed on skids was the 30 year metal roof! 
The shed is built more house like in construction.  A new camper would be the same money, although used campers can be had for much less.  But then I would worry about the roof leaking again.
There is an existing tile field I will connect to.  But it will be plumbed like a camper so I can disconnect and drain the lines in the winter. 
And I will post photos as we get farther along with the project. 

kckc

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:54 am »

I know several people who just build shed roofs over their camper ... provides cover, covered porch and some outside area depending on how big you go with the roof.   Years ago when I thought I would find a place right on a big trail I thought I would do that...
NC
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up