Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell me your teeth stories  (Read 104 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Tell me your teeth stories
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:31:55 am »

In the last week or so, Buster has become REALLY hard to catch.  Part of it is ground manners.  The previous owner believed in treating them like puppies and not insisting on good manners.  But that is easy enough fixable.

But a few days ago, Buster spit a baby cap into his feed pan.  Buster is 6.5 and should not have baby caps.  He has also opened his mouth, moved his jaw back and forth while eating his alfalfa pellets plus supplements.  So, in he goes for teeth tomorrow.  I will give a report tomorrow afternoon.  But I would like to here any other stories of what happens when your horse had bad teeth problems.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Tell me your teeth stories
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:59 pm »

had one with a stick between his teeth across the roof of his mouth toward the back... was an issue.  Same horse has a gap between teeth that dentist said I might have to watch for debris etc...   Another has "smile" where his teeth are shaped into a smile  - never caused him any issues but my dental expert watches it for me.   My 7 year old (aged by the dentist) did not have any caps left.  He chews funny, head sideways but nothing found wrong with his teeth.  I like my dentist as he checks every darned tooth for looseness, cavity etc.   I hear that teeth issues can make a horse grumpy. 
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Tell me your teeth stories
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:42:34 pm »

Buster had his teeth done today.  No other retained caps, but the vet could see where one had just come out.  And the teeth on that side were a mess.  Uneven, long sharp points.  His canines were also pretty long, so the vet round them off a bit.  Hopefully this will make Buster a less grumpy horse.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up