Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UN social media  (Read 238 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
UN social media
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:22 am »

Just a rant....if you don’t want to read a rant, close the thread.

Life never stays static, and at my age, that is what I want.  My husband convinced me to get a Facebook account about 8 years ago.  I am glad I did it.  I have quite a few cousins the age of my children.  I have gotten to know them now as adults, and I am glad for it.  And I am glad for the conversations with my real friends.

But like all things, it morphs and changes, and there is now plenty to dislike. 

All I want to to see are photos and/or status comments from friends and relatives.  I do not want news links.  I would never trust news shared on Facebook anyway....actually I don’t trust much of any news outlet anymore.  I don’t want a gazillion ads, I don’t want a gazillion memes even if some are amusing.  But it is now getting to hard to wade through the garbage for the few posts I do want to see.  The good news is I waste much less time there.  I think for horse friends, I will just share everything here.  A nice place, calm, no ads, and all of share an interest in horses.  So...yes I will maintain a Facebook page.  I will try to visit my cousins pages so I don’t have to wade through the news feed.  But for my horse friends, I am going back to just this place.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: UN social media
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:22:09 pm »

Your lists in your rant is why I am not on fb.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:57:58 pm »

Kysa, I don't know how I did it, but my FB feed is mostly paired down to what I actually want to see. Several months ago, I was fed up like you, because FB intermixed the things I do want to see with tons of stuff I don't care to see. For example, every time one of my FB friends "liked" something, it would show up in my feed. The result was my FB feed had lots of pictures of total strangers, not to mention all the dubious news articles. But I'm not getting all that stuff now. A couple weeks ago, I had a rash of ads, but it was a 1 day thing. Go figure.

PAWalker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »

Your lists in your rant is why I am not on fb.

^^^^This.    I closed my account some years back:)

meely3

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:15:01 am »

When news stories pop up you can click the little do hickey thing and say don't show me this junk. I do that and I get less of it. Also I think you can unfollow people without unfriending them and then you don't have to see all their comments on all their friend's pages.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:12:36 am »

Yes, Meely, and I have done that.  I have done that with every news organization, ever.  I have done with with just about enery link...but still new ones come.  And so many ads.  I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Actually, this is the way things seem to go.  A good idea...becomes popular, then to make more and more money, they push away the very people who use it.  I no longer advertise my tack store on Facebook, because it has be some just as expensive as paper advertising, and I can no longer target tightly.  Brookings s 25,000 population.  We are 55 miles from Sioux Falls, which is just under 200,000.  No one from Sioux Falls is going to drive to me.  I do not want to include Sioux Falls in any advertising.  But when I set my parameters on Facebook, have some sort of horse thing on their personal page, and less an 50 miles from Brookings, Facebook says my pool is too small.  Yeah, they are thinking like New York City.  I know my pool is small but those are the only people I want to advertise to.

eBay used to be for individuals, like a giant garage sale.  Then they started raising the selling fees on individuals, so you really cannot make much...eBay gets all the profit!  But they give deep discounts to sellers with hundreds of items.  So greed made it into a big store, and most of what is sold is large merchants.  And Etsy.  What an awesome idea.  Until they opened it to anything made in China.  It is so hard to search for USA hand made only, that few people do.  Most who used to sell handmade items there have quite.

Lots or rants, and for anyone who can still make Facebook work for you, great.  I am just going to choose this venue for keeping up with my horse friends because I like better in so many ways.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:11:46 am by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Iceangel

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:21:59 am »

I have two groups, close friends on FB and then also Friends.  I mainly post to my close friends who are my horse people. If someone post to many recipes or stuff I don't want to see I stay friends with them but don't see what they write on their wall. There are alot of different ways on FB to make it what you want. To many ads just tell them you don't want anymore from them. I can't remember how but its easy.
But, yes I spend alot of time on there and am trying to just look at it two to three times a day. But it is fun to see all the pictures posted of horse camping etc.

Kalli

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:05 pm »

I mostly use FB for horse stuff now.  I enjoy watching training and gait videos and Horse sale ads. I’ve learned a lot from the barefoot trim site and horse health discussions.

I felt FB got out of control for me a few years ago.  I quit my account for a while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up