Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karen, waterers  (Read 183 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Karen, waterers
« on: January 04, 2018, 09:49:07 am »

Last year mine froze, much to my surprise.  When I took it apart, there was a clip that held the heat tape to the supply line that came undone.  I poured hot water over it, got it working again, and replaced the clip with two zip ties.  Our lowest temperature so far this year was minus 29.  My waterer is doing fine.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Karen, waterers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:14:35 am »

Can I add something ... Karen you mentioned you know your water lines are not deep enough.  I read an interesting article (which I will have to find and share) about using compost to heat water hose lines.   Not sure where your water lines run or how you could make it attractive (like long flower boxes or some other construct) but compost or even manure piled should help hold the heat in that area over the water lines .... shouldn't it? 
NC

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:37:38 am »

Thank goodness we're good so far.  We've checked it twice a day when we feed, and so far, so good.  Tomorrow we're above freezing for the first time since Christmas, and by the weekend we're supposed to hit 50!  I suspect with 5 horses drinking out of it, it's being used enough so that there isn't a lot of time for it to freeze solid.  That along with the heating element you lower into the supply line at the waterer.

Our house/property sits on a shale shelf.  We found out a couple years ago that they had to blast to build the house (we found out as we were putting in the automatic waterer, of course).  The supply line comes out of the house 4' underground, so below the frost line, but at it's shallowest it's probably 2' underground....and that's MOST of the 60' run from the house to the waterer.  John had talked about bringing several loads of topsoil in to build up the ground where the supply line runs, but I worry about what that does to grading and drainage on that part of our property.  With our luck the supply line won't freeze but the basement will take on 3' of water.

Anyway, I found an in-line heater in like this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Easy-Heat-ILH4050-50-ft-250-Watt-In-Pipe-Heating-Cable

You actually snake a heating element into the supply line and it runs off of a thermostat buried next to the water line.  It's not super expensive, and I'm thinking this spring it should get done so I'm not stressing over this again.
Karen

kckc

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:01:48 am »

I agree, the stress and additional work if it freezes and then busts... worth any security you can add  :-)
NC

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:01:46 am »

YAY!  It's 45 today and is supposed to be in the 50's the next 2 days!  Hopefully that's the longest REALLY cold spell we'll have this winter.
Karen
Pages: [1]   Go Up