Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Best Water Heaters???  (Read 240 times)

fargos handmaiden

Help! Best Water Heaters???
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:35:48 pm »

Fighting to keep animals watered for two days. Big freeze for Texas. We have had bad luck buying some heaters  in past so didn't this year. Water finally so rock hard, can't break it with hammer. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able.to.turn water back on for a while. Don't wanna go thru this again. Solar waterers at $600 out of question. We need heaters for horse tank 125 gallons and two goat tanks.33 gallons each. Any recommendations? Solar waterers at $400-600 out of question.Thanks.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Help! Best Water Heaters???
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:47 pm »

Don't you have electricity there?
I have a $40 sinking heater with a cage.  It is keeping the tank thawed at temps of minus 20-30 degrees F.
They don't last forever but they do last me several winters.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

meely3

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:14:27 am »

I liked the one that screws into the bottom of the rubbermaid water tubs. Even though my electric bill went up $75 a month. But since one of my horses is very excited about finding new things to destroy I have just been hauling hot water out twice a day for the last couple weeks or so.  I don't really want to see him electrocuted because he thought it would be fun to play with a cord.

oncidium

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:46:41 am »

I have these:

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/floating-de-icer

No horse can play with it, iow pull out, chew on it.  My koi and goldfish enjoy hanging out underneath it.  It de-ices very well.  I have had the tank completely encased with ice and this float well under the ice and I plugged it in and it did its job perfectly.  I ALWAYS have mine on a timer.  Preferably to come on in the morning, and then evening if need be.  No shocks. I like that this is a simple easy, quick way to get stock tanks de-iced.  Place in trough, plug in.  I have mine on extension cord.  When not in use I unplug.  Like I said I use a timer when temps keep getting things to the ice mark. 

If your tank is completely frozen add some water, or beat out some ice,  then add the float.  I am not a pro ice tank person like kysa but this works well for my horses and me.  Yes, you can use this product on a plastic or metal tank. 

O, living in N. AL. 

Happy 2018! 

vruste

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:52 am »

I use the same as Kysa.  And yes, you typically only get a few years use out of them, but definitely my favorite.  I don't like floating heaters because of the temptation to play with it.  I don't like drain plugs because changing out inevitably leads to leading, or in case of failure in winter is near impossible to replace in a snow drift.  I also have a plywood box my husband built to fit over the tank with a drinking hole in top.  Painted black.  hole in the back corner near the outlet to run the tank heater cord through.  Made a noticeable difference in the electric usage from the heater, and eliminated the skim of ice on top from the wind in super cold weather.  The heaters have an internal thermostat so don't run unless the water reaches near freezing level, so it's only using electricity if it's cold...when it needs it.....so using it sparingly is just adding extra labor.

kckc

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 07:42:27 am »

smaller narrower troughs freeze faster.   always have an emptytrough, bucket or whatever you use - when one freezes just fill the other.  I have an auto waterer in one pasture (thank the goddess !) but the older separated on a trough so once again I'm doing ice breaking.  I break, pull out all the ice and it makes it through another day BUT my old horses are not drinking this icey water well so they get traded out with the others in the auto waterer pasture and they almost all head for the waterer.   Point being they probably appreciate fresh water anyway because from a well it is much warmer than the water that has not yet iced over.
I can't use anything with cords, too many destructive playful horses.   
NC

ahmenti

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:34:14 am »

I have the same as Kysa also.  Mine lasted 5 years!  We had to buy one this year but they are well worth it.  They keep our whole tank (100 gallon) unfrozen.  Love them.

Kim

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:00:09 am »

I have a 50-gal Rubbermaid trough.  I use the floating de-icer with the wire ring around it (needed for plastic troughs)and have a plug high up above the trough for plugging it in.  Also am lucky to have one of the frost-free water taps also.  I've haven't had to chip ice since I started using this probably 10 years ago.  Replaced one -- they seem to last for a long time.  I was worried about the horses getting hold of it because my Rocky will play with anything he can get his mouth on, but he hasn't touched this.   Works great.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:21:18 pm »

Well, feed store only had one left, a floater with wire guard. Luckily brand Kysa recommended, Allied Precision, so we will see how well it holds up. First one we ever owned was like Kyle's sinker which I prefer. It lasted us 3.years. Replace.with a look-alike but Don't know if it was same brand. Did not keep ta k from icing over at all. Tried several floaters/sinkers over.the years since...believe they were  K&H and farm-something. None lasted thru one season. All our water lines froze up so no extra.water.to heat on stove.even. Hoping lines thaw long enough today to refill all tanks and get dishes done. I can't even get dishes or.laundry done either.

We still need two more for.goat tanks. Thanks everyone for suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:25:27 pm by fargos handmaiden »

gallatingal

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:09:01 pm »

We have a Nelson waterer with a heater in it. Never going back to tubs.
Life is short, buy the pony!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »

Thanks but price on Nelson too high for us. We.got an Allied.floater for.the q25 gal horse tank and 2 allied.500 watt floaters for our 33.gal goat.tanks. Gotta wait on those. Hope they get here before.next freeze. Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up