Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 442 times)

2gaits

Re: What to do?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 05:20:34 pm »

Thanks everyone. It is tough and being in a boarding situation makes it more so. My older gelding doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but it is tough to board one that can't or shouldn't be ridden. My mare has been moving well until recently. They vet thought she would do well for a year or two on previcox. We are at two years. Quality of life is big for me and if she continues to show lameness we will make the decision to let her go. I may keep the old guy around or I may decide to let him go with my sister's horse. Those two are best buddies.

Depending on if my sister gets another horse will also factor into my decision. My husband currently goes out everyday to feed supplements and meds to the horses. This has actually given him something to do and improves his mental outlook. I have to consider that as well. Thanks for the thoughts and things to consider.

utahtrotter

Re: What to do?
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 06:07:58 pm »

I had a 10yr old foxtrotter that has been my main riding partner for 5 years. This last year he developed bad arthritis in his front knee, and I had him on previcox all summer, and was still rideable. By Oct he bucked with me twice, out of the blue, and going downhill he would take little tiny baby steps. I realised he was in more pain than I thought. I looked everywhere for a rescue or sanctuary that would take him, because he could be ridden lightly at a walk, but not 3 hours up steep hills. I finally found Colorado horse Rescue in Longmont that would take a "light ride" horse. I drove him 10 hours so he could still have a job that he could do. I wish you luck in your decision.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up