Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something going through my herd?  (Read 503 times)

Liberty1

Re: Something going through my herd?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 06:02:00 pm »

Glad to hear they are much better by now!  I have nothing I could add.  Glad you shared. 

PAWalker

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 09:07:30 pm »

When we took Babe to Equine Specialty Hospital they immediately checked his liver enzymes and also kidney function. Both were good.

Both horses are doing well tonight. Rusty finally started drinking again today. She never did get as weak as Babe had been.

Great news on all counts!  :). Hopefully you can breathe again and relax enough to get a few good hours of sleep at once.

An afterthought only because I'm watching my local frigid weather on TV:  I might keep an eye on the three of them for signs of laminitis --- especially since they had high fevers.  Cold weather laminitis can happen with metabolic horses but the high fevers your horses experienced might be enough to send them over the edge during the extreme cold you're experiencing.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:45 am »

There was also the potential for large die-off of gut bacteria, so yes, I'm keeping an eye on their feet. I've given Babe a probiotic for several days and Rusty will be getting it too.

abbypeaches

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 05:42:05 pm »

If you get into laminitis, go to ecirhorse.org for advice. Dr. Kellon and her people are invaluable.

Did you show the piece of dried intestine to your vet?

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 30 yo reg. MFT gelding, Montana's Silver Mist(Misty) 20 yo MFT & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 16 mo mare.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 05:21:28 am »

No, I tossed it into the tractor bucket to be dumped with the next load of manure. I'm not even sure that's what it was, but it was in a round bale they had finished off about 10 days before Babe got sick. So who knows if it had anything to do with them getting sick.

Thankfully, neither Babe or Rusty had any hoof issues and no more horses got sick.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 05:58:56 pm »

Well, I think this merits an update: I took Babe out for a trail ride yesterday, the first decent riding day of 2018. My goal was a leisurely walk through the woods, but he was full of P & V so I let him canter up the hill and a good bit of gaiting. He is definitely fully recovered. He has a couple doses of Marquis to finish out the 28 day treatment. I still have my doubts about EPM, as fast as the symptoms came and went. I have a feeling he was simply weak from the infection. Better to be safe than sorry, though. Rusty is also doing great and none of the others got sick.

Babe, being awesome:

riding the sun

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:23 pm »

Such good news...and a fun ride!
My favorite trail is the next one
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up