Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Weather  (Read 791 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: The Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:54 am »

I took a nap this am woke up to a blizzard!!  We had been under winter storm warning.  The roads are horrible and the state is telling people to stay off the roads and stay home.  A total ban on tractor trailers from noon until at least 9pm tonight!! 
Yep Cyd I would guess your head wants to explode the milibars are bottoming out and I am sure you can feel it.

I have lived in RI since 1989 and never seen all roads closed to anything.  But at this point anyone who is outside has to be out of their minds.  The National Guard is setting up shelters and warming centers.  A small number of National Guard folks are working but, I would guess more will be activated.

That's about it for now stay tuned.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

kckc

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 11:10:31 am »

wow...
NC

ponymare

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 11:14:56 am »

Very scary!  Hope you stay inside and warm!

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 11:46:49 am »

Stay safe Judy! 

Here in NE PA, we've got sustained winds at around 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph, but not a lot of snow.  It's 21 degrees out there, with a wind chill of 12 degrees, but we're far enough inland that we only got around an inch of snow (hard to say with all the blowing). 

Karen

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 02:14:57 pm »

At 4 pm it's still snowing and blowing big time.  I am in the house still.  Mike has been working in the immediate yard and patio.  We had thunder snow. First time in my life that I have ever experienced that.  SCARY!  But that is how violent this storm is.

I'll update again after the news.  We are all ok here.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 04:34:57 am »

It's early morning still dark here, but watching TV.  From Cape Cod north the coast took a huge hit.  There is lots of flooding even in Boston proper.

The temps are starting to go into the basement and beyond.  I will update and try to take some pictures.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 07:44:52 am »

As of 9:40 am it is 10 feels like-7, the wind is straight out of the north gusting to probably 25 or so.  Mike had cleaned out our driveways, his was clear this am mine is all drifted in.  My truck was a total mess and I had cleaned it off last evening.  So, I warmed it up and cleaned it off and took a drive around for a couple of miles.  The main roads aren't too bad the side streets are kind of a mess but not too bad.  Saw an idiot plow driver getting a ticket for illegally plowing from driveways into the street and leaving it.  That's a big no no here in RI.  lol
I know this awful cold is hitting many of us please, everyone stay safe.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 08:54:19 am »

We got down to 2 degrees overnight. We've had colder nights the past couple weeks, but the weather guys made a big deal of it this time, probably because of the east coast storm and the fact it's going to stay in the single digits today and tomorrow. They predicted -20 wind chills but I don't think it's been windy enough to produce such low numbers. Morning chores weren't really all that tough. We did get 6-8" of lake effect snow with more predicted today and tomorrow, but that's just typical winter in the "chimney corner" of PA. A bunch of schools are closed today.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 09:20:13 am »

January is the weather I hate the most.  Jim's grandmother used to say, as the days begin to lengthen the cold begins to strengthen.  We have had bitter bitter cold since Christmas.  But my long range forecast actual includes two days with a predicted high of 30.  I will believe it when I see it, but that would be so welcome!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:13 am »

It's "supposed" to warm up here Tues.  Like you, Kysa, I'll believe it IF it happens.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 05:33:15 am »

Good beyond frozen morning.  At the moment it is a big 4 feels like -14 winds steady at15 gusts to 34 mph.  I just got up, the waterbed is just so nice and warm.  I'll dress up and go start the truck.  I'm watching the weather channel and as bad as it is here there are parts of this country in worse shape.

All   can say is stay safe and warm.

Winona

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 07:02:43 pm »

I live off Lake Ontario and an used to Lake Effect snow-and we have had plenty. But, I hate these blasted -18, -20 mornings! Took girls skiing twice this year at 8 and 5 degrees. Last weekend it was never above zero! Then, we had 2 inches of rain Thursday and 60 degrees! Within 12 hours it was 5 degrees ! Lots of flooding and than flash freezing! I drove through a puddle and my doors froze shut! It was -14 this AM and will be 40's and rain next weekend! Ugh. I love snow and 20's all winter. I hate thaws! Everyone stay safe this crazy winter!

Jodi, Northern NY, Paso Fino/Icelandic/Mini

kckc

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »

wow, those are crazy... we went from single digits to almost 70 degrees .. now we're back to 19  ...   but heck that minus temperatures and flash freezing is awful   
NC

Winona

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 05:10:40 am »

There are some areas that needed to be evacuated due to houses flooding due to ice jams. Can you imagine waist deep water around your house and then freezing solid? I am lucky, but want even temperatures for everyone's safety and enjoyment of winter sports. Plus I hate worrying about my ponies.
Jodi, Northern NY, Paso Fino/Icelandic/Mini

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 06:52:02 am »

All we have is wicked windchills.  No flooding because it has been too cold for more than a few inches of dry snow.

Minus 39 windchill right now.  All my horses are in their runins.  Sometime later today I will have to check the waterers and feed supplements.  But right now it is a good day to stay indoors and do some baking.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up