Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Weather  (Read 804 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
The Weather
« on: December 27, 2017, 03:39:13 pm »

Here's hoping that everyone can stay safe and warm.  I am sure we have members that live in the snow belts of Ohio, PA, and NY. They were just showing the snowfall in those areas.  We here in RI had a bit of snow the other day but the temps are in the basement and of course, there are wind chills of minus zero.

Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

kckc

Re: The Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:08:03 pm »

did I see that erie pa had 5 FOOT of snow??
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:17:47 pm »

Yes, that was this am, I think it's like 6 now.  I know it's bad for sure.

kckc

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 04:24:44 pm »

wow...
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »

Yes, that is correct for Erie, PA. Cyd lives about half an hour out, and she had only 6 inches last she told me.  In PA even just a mile or two counts for better weather!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »

They were showing a real line, one side all kinds of snow right next to it little or nothing.  Unreal.

I hope Cyd stays safe. The National Guard has been called out in NY and in some places in PA. 
We are supposed to have another major storm in here on the weekend.+

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:51:00 am »

Yes, Erie PA got clobbered with 6' of snow from Christmas eve to Tuesday. We live @ 25 miles south and only got about 6". This is how the "lake effect" works... If the cold wind blowing over the unfrozen lake is coming directly from the west, the snow falls along the shoreline. If the wind is coming from the north, it skips over the shoreline until it passes over the "Lake Erie Plateau, then dumps on the inland "snow belts". This time the wind came relentlessly from the west.

We did get a few inches overnight. Until the lakes freeze, the situation is such that we can get dumped on at any time, just depends on where the wind blows.

Thanks for the care and concern.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 07:02:04 am »

Hey Cyd, happy to hear the snow mostly missed you too!  It stayed along the lake shore here also, so I didn't get as much as some of my neighbors to the North and East received.
  Unfortunately, we are still under watches, warnings for maybe another foot of snow Friday to Saturday.  Hope we both get lucky again!
  Stay warm.
MJ

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 09:09:42 am »

We got a couple inches of snow Christmas Eve and now have just terribly frigid temps. It's 10 degrees here right now (up from a low of 3 this morning) with a wind chill of -2 and isn't supposed to get above 18 today.  I started coming down with the virus that's been going around on Christmas, so poor John has been dealing with the cold way more than me the last couple of days, but this isn't supposed to improve for at least 10 more days.

Now we find out if the water line for our automatic waterer is buried deep enough/insulated well enough.  Fingers crossed.
Karen

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:06:20 pm »

This weather is brutal. I blanketed my 30 yo guy and my shivering 20 yo mare. My 1.5 yo mare isn't blanket-broke yet but she is doing okay. Can't wait for Spring.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

kckc

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:35:32 pm »

whew... this does not look good....   https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:17 am »

We woke up this morning to find the storm has been seriously upgraded.  Parts of Mass are under blizzard warnings and we here in RI and mid to western Mass and Conn under storm warnings.  8 to 14 inches seem the normal for the predictions with dangerously high winds ( 50 to 70 mph gusts)  the term being used by local weather people is " this storm is gong to BOMB out" right on us.  Oh joy.  Then after the storm over the weekend the temps are going to go even lower than what we have endured over the last 2 weeks.

Anyone on the east coast is going to be in the path of this monster.  So, one more time please get ready and stay safe.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:28 am »

Judi, please do keep us updated re Storm Grayson. I've been looking at the radar about once an hour. Our temps are going to plummet to negatives, but we're well west of the storm. We'll just get another round of lake effect snow from the 'wrap around effect", but that's just normal life in the snow belt. I can tell you this, my temples feel like I have a c-clamp on my head from the barometric pressure drop. Keep warm, be safe.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 09:39:04 am »

For once, I am out of it.
It is zero, not bad but not good.  But no actual storms in the near future.
I sincerely hope everyone in the path of this storm stays safe.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 10:27:16 am »

Really scary stuff--8 years ago this February, we were hit w/ an arctic blast that brought lows as cold as -27 degrees.  Daytime "highs" weren't above freezing for almost a week, and we were without running water in our m/h for almost 2 weeks.  Everyone who's affected by this storm, PLEASE stay safe.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up