verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Experience with Equiband?  (Read 252 times)

fargos handmaiden

Any Experience with Equiband?
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:33:34 pm »

One of new vet's recommendations on saving Fargo's topline, strengthening his core. She recommended it over the paseo lunging system as more user friendly. More expensive too, darn! Any personal experience with either? Thanks.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Any Experience with Equiband?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:49:59 pm »

http://equicoreconcepts.com/concept.html

So others can see it without a google search

Connie, How old is Fargo?
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 04:27:49 pm »

(Sigh....) 23.5 years old or maybe 24 by now. I am looking for the Fountain of Youth so we can both take a dip in it.

kckc

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 04:28:19 pm »

this reminds me of the butt gear that paso horses are trained with - cannot think of the name of it
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »

24 is not ancient, but it is not young either.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »

there are several old posts on here about stomach exercises which strengthen a horses' back and help give some lift.  I did a bunch of them with my boy when he was still being ridden and it made quite a bit of difference.   Making sure he had the right nutrition, protein and amino acids seemed to really be what he needed.  He apparently wasn't getting the nutrition from his food that he needed.
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 05:04:29 pm »

KCKC, interested in that nutrition mKe-up. Can you give nitty-gritty details and benefits you experienced. New,vet showed me how to finally get him to lift his back. I can't get him to respond to tummy tickles. Vet said she prefered,the rump scratches and showed me how to do that with the help of some,stiff,pieces of,material rather than thumbs. I can finally get him to "convulse" his back into a hump now. That's what it almost reminds me of, a giant stomach convulsion that bends him into a temporary humpback. She said,to only do 3-5 repetitions every other day and use the equiband,days in between. Besides,the lordosis and,hunters/roper's bump, she said his,core/back is,weak, needs,strengthening. He went down on all fours,riding him one,day but pulled,himself,up by himself,with me,still on his back. That was scary! And lunging him in front of,vet, he slightly limps and stumbles,quite,a,bit. She wants him ridden or,worked,some,kind,of,way 4-6 days a week but my confidence to ride a trippy horse,is a little,lacking,till I see him get a better,grip and balance,again. Catch 22.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:07:05 pm by fargos handmaiden »

kckc

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 07:01:14 pm »

for nutrition I'd say you probably need to know what is already happening in your hay, grass and your area.  After everything I've read it appears Iron is not something that horses need added to their diet (be sure you read up on this yourself).   There are a ton of nutritional supplements out there and my fear was overdoing something that did not need to be overdosed.   I am not super fond of talking to feed brand "experts" because they are only touting their own feed.   If Fargo has good weight on him you might look at adding Progressive Ultimate ProAdd Supplement for amino acids but like I mentioned before, it really depends on what you are already feeding him and I am absolutely uninformed on nutrition, sadly.

I fed my boy Fibrebeet and progressive pellets (no molasses, corn etc) but he needed weight and topline.  We also did some controlled, fast walk lunging there he had to learn to walk sort of curved and with a tiny bend in his head toward me ... there are just so many different things out there to work up back and stomach muscles.  My problem was the time involved to do it.   When I did it every day I saw changes in my boy.   if he won't kick you, stand behind him and pull his tail - you'll see him lift.   they don't like it often but you can see it to recognize it later.  use a hoof pick and run it from between his front legs back along his stomach, firm but not hard.  That generally gets some lift.   Other method that works is to get a treat, hold it below his knee level where he has to put his head down and then make him back up to get the treat.  You can really see the back muscles at work there.
I recently found out one of my other horses is starting to brace on the shanked bit even though I am really a bit too light on the reins...  thinking that it is the combination of poll pressure, curb and mouth ... he seems better in a 3 piece lozenge snaffle.  He has a bit better poll bend.  You might see if it appears your boy is starting to get upside down in the bit you are using.  Again, I seriously don't really "know" anything I just keep finding out new things that might be right ... or not.   :-)
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »

Well-timed comment on bit. I used to use the old fashioned typical walking horse bit with rather long shanks per advice of the so-called experts. I did get,a nice,swan neck from that but now I wonder if I wasn't,also,getting a head set too high and maybe a hollowed back. His stride in those days was fabulously long and powerful but now I wonder if even that was in his best interest.  Have been using an Imus bit since but not sure I am 100% satisfied with his response to that one either. Been getting training videos from Ivy (forget last name) who favors some,kind of snaffle for gaited and not just for,training. I will look up the snaffle you listed and see if I can find the one she suggests as well.

Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:20:40 pm by fargos handmaiden »

Little Freckles

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 12:13:26 am »

FHM- Ivy Schexnayder likes the Rockin' S Raised snaffle bit.  I have a Gary Lane bit you are welcome to try if you want to. I have attached a pic.  Ivy talks about the snaffle in her utube videos.  While this looks interesting, and I can see how it could work- I think it is just an expensive gimmick likely to get you thrown.  You would really have to do a lot of ground work and get your horse to not buck with the belly band if he has never had a back cinch on.  I would think after a while, they would "desensitize" to this also and it would not continue to work.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:18:16 am by Little Freckles »
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

kckc

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 11:29:37 am »

I mentioned those bands to a friend of mine and she says they use TTeam TTouch ?? bands which might be cheaper?
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 03:31:37 pm »

Darn ! Wish I had seen that touch versiononer.  Looks like it's just some.wide vet wraps.tied together. Cheap. Unfortunately I already made the expensiveplunge into the Equiband.since. that is what vet recommended.
Pages: [1]   Go Up