Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Best Tips On Keeping Your Senior Horse Around and Healthy  (Read 242 times)

fargos handmaiden

Your Best Tips On Keeping Your Senior Horse Around and Healthy
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:42:50 pm »

I am really preoccupied xealing with my senior buddy of 18 years. Fargo is now 23 1/2-24 years old and starting to show his age. Not ready to see him on the downhill slide. Those of you who kept your babies around a lot, lot longer, share your secrets or what you attribute their going beyond the norm in age and health. Thanks.

kckc

Re: Your Best Tips On Keeping Your Senior Horse Around and Healthy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:59:20 pm »

sometimes its in their dna, genes... a lot to do with proper nutrition for their age, proper teeth maintenance (by a professional not just a vet floating), lots of movement (think paddock paradise), .... my oldest lived to be 38 - great health, very little grey on a black horse and a nice build without weight loss - still sat on him bareback even in the last few years just laying on him.  BUT I feel I was lucky with him, his general health or genes...
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 04:20:54 pm »

I think KC is right, a lot is in the DNA.  My daughters old pony lived to be 32, and was ridden until 30.  We put Jane's favorite Saddlebred mare down at 23.  She had so much arthritis in her neck, she could no longer raise and lower her head.  Both horses were getting the same diet and care.
I just put down Shay at 28, 100% blind, and not trusting her pasture mates.  She was always lead mare.  I know she had some poor care in the 14 years before I bought her.  While injuries can play into it, I think DNA and nutrition are the most important things.  And not much you can do about DNA at this point.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:59:18 pm »

OUr oldest lived to be about 37, and the last 8-10 years he basically just lived in our pasture as part of the herd.  We did not ride him but a time or two with the neices on Thanksgiving in the arena.  He was pastured 24/7 and came in to eat his grain and hay in his stall each day.  He had good teeth and was able to chew and graze.  We fed him Purina Senior mixed with a little Omalene 100 and oats, plus hay and all the pasture grass he wanted.

Our others have lived into their late 20's......he was our oldest so far.  It may be in the genes, but I also think good food, health maintenance and pasture feed into it. 

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »

Tonight we are having a,temperature of 25. I have a blanket for him but have never used it. I am torn whether to use it or if the crowding together of the three horses along with our goats would not provide better choices for warmth for him on his own terms. They all get along well and share the barn well. What is your advice cor,those who have dealt with older horses.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »

if it's not wet with high winds or sleet, unless he is just shivering I personally like mine to use their natural coats -- if what I've read about coats tamping down the hair and stopping the natural air insulation is correct I'm much happier leaving them in their winter coats provide... and keeping each other company is great.  If he is in a barn with others then just being out of the wind is probably a huge help.  I do have an older mare who has a thick thick coat but she seems to be cold if its rainy especially in the cold with wind and she comes in on those nights. 
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »

Thanks, Kysa and KCKC. I decided aftef,doing more research that leaving him to his own devices was better. Yes, they come and go from the barn as they please. Goats seem to know to stick to corners/walls where they are least likely to get stepped on. Especially my little guy Speedy will really throw on the breaks even when excited to keep,from stepping on the Goats. They really seem to care about the pesky little,buggers and share,the hay pile well with them as well. Because of Fargo, we have been putting the round bales,very close to the barn so he doesn't have far,to wander from shelter if he has to "stoke his furnace" with some hay on a cold,cold,night. They all have access to 16 acres any time. Boy I have never seen them go thru hay so fat as this winter. Otherwise they all get some pellets,daily, to quarts for,Fargo (Total Equine) plus,lots supplements.  Just started him on a new,one,today, supposed to give him more amino acidsfor,protein digestion. Hope I am on right track.

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »

When my old guy started losing weight on his topline, I had him tested for Cushings. Sure enough, he had it. Alot of senior horses are afflicted by it but it is treatable at least.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »

Our Doc is 30 -- will be 31 next April.

He hasn't had anyone on his back in several years -- not even children.  He trips more when someone is riding him.  So basically he's
a pasture pet.
He has great teeth which helps -- this is his schedule for the last 2 years or so -- and amounts have increased.

Nutrena Senior Feed in the morning and hay.   Supplements of MSM -- which all our horses are on - and Vita Plus
Afternoon   Beet Pulp Shreds , soaked for about 30 minutes plus a top dressing of weight builder   plus hay
Evening -- hay only.

In the summer he still gets the Nutrena Senior, Supplements and once a day beet pulp and weight builder, and they are on pasture
approx 12 hours a day.

When our vet was out last spring he said the only other thing he would suggest is letting him be out on pasture as much as we can.
So-- when we go riding -- or on vacation with the other 2 horses --- he gets to stay out on the pasture.
Funny thing-- I've tried to put him out when Banks and IB are home-- and he doesn't want to go without them if they are home.

I have NOT blanketed him yet ---- he has a furry coat and we are watching him for shivering.  It got down to about 6-7 degrees last night and
they are all fine

My vet told me last spring that in this area 25 or so is a common age for them to pass ---

Banks will be 18 in the spring and still goes like he always has --
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

kckc

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 04:10:38 pm »

Claudia... when I talked to my vet a few years ago (my gelding was doing great and passed at 38) - he said that horse life spans are shorter than they could be because people don't do or want to do what is needed for older horses.   So I'm guessing the average for life span might be affected by those who put theirs down when they need extras...
NC

Laurie

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 04:42:09 pm »

I knew a lady who had a registered standardbred that lived to be either 45 or 47......I can't remember.  She didn't have hardly any teeth left. they fixed a mash for her to eat and bedded her in a 12 x 24 stall in hay when necessary.  She sometimes could not get up if she went down in the pasture and they would get a belt under her and lift her up with the tractor.

I visited this horse with a vet friend of mine a few times. I can't remember how or why she finally passed, but the lady had shown her as a young girl, loved her and took exceptional care of her and she lived longer than any other horse I knew........

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »

Fourth time to try to respond. Keep losing before I post so will try to answer in parts. Don't think it could be Cushings. No out-of-season long coat or pot belly. Onlyphysical signs lordosis and top line. Believe some exercises helping top line muscle and hips but not really lifting back.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 07:18:02 pm »

Also seen by 2 different vet's and neither brought up that possibility. Thanks to others. I am reading your responses about how people kept these old horses going with great interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up