Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Introduction ...  (Read 349 times)

Pilgrim

My Introduction ...
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:11:02 am »

Hello !
I was researching a particular saddle tree and this site popped up. Looks like a great group of experienced horse folks here!
I am in Michigan, have a new-to-me TWH. Trying to find a good saddle and I've several years of experience working with a saddle fitter. But times are changing - and so are brands and styles.
I'm sure I will learn a great deal here about gaited horse sense ( ) ...  I've owned a few different horses over the years, 2 of which were gaited breeds, but my "heart" horse was a foundation bred QH who crossed the bridge at the age of 28 (almost 29) nearly 2 years ago.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: My Introduction ...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:49:33 am »

First welcome to this board.  Yes, lots of folks with lots of experience with Gaited horses.

I am the administrator of this board, but also own a tack store and am a saddle fitter.

The short answer, you need a saddle that fits your horse, and that may or may not be a so called Gaited tree.  Pictures of the horse, as well as pictures of a wither tracing would be helpful.  But still, the best way to know for sure is to try saddles on his back.

For your education on saddle fit, I recommend visiting crestridgesaddlery.com

As a tack store owner, I invite my customers to bring the horse, we try on everything, what they already own, and what I have in the store.  I hope you can find a store like that near you.

TWH.  I see two different body styles in this breed.  One is built very A-frame, steep narrow shoulders and withers.  The other kind is built like a tank, mutton withers and broad through the shoulders.  These two different body shapes will take very different saddle trees.

The actual fitting of a saddle on a horse is the same, gaited or not.  You need to match the angle and slope at the shoulders, have enough flare for shoulder rotation, and match the rock to the rock of the back.  You want all the bar area to be in even contact with the horse's back.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »

Hey Welcome !   It's a nice group on this site.   I hate trying to find a saddle that fits my horse and fits me... if you search on the site you'll find we've discussed it many times.   Let us know what you find !  Oh & just so you know... pictures of your horse are mandatory !  :-)  :-)
NC

Little Freckles

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:40:20 pm »

;D Welcome-so glad you decided to check us out and join us.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

oncidium

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:25:07 am »

Welcome!

I ride in a Solstice.  I have a RM. 

Good luck in the saddle search.  Lots of good info on here.

The saddle has to fit you and the horse.  But you know that already. 

"New to you", I like that phrase!  Cute! True.

O

If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.  Sterling Holloway (best known as the voice of Winnie the Pooh)

The road to success is always under construction.

Education is what you get from reading the small print.
Experience is what you get from not reading it.

Kalli

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:29:24 pm »

Welcome, Pilgrim!  Sorry to hear of the loss of your heart horse. Always so hard to lose our equine partners. ☹️☹️

I wish you luck in your saddle search.  I'm sure you'll find the folks on this site to be very informative and helpful! 

2gaits

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 11:05:33 am »

Welcome. I have two twhs. Love the breed and have only had twhs for 20 years now. I've had good luck with national bridle shop Tennessean saddles but my saddles are older and were made by crates for that shop at the time. Enjoy your horse. It is very hard to lose a heart horse.

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:09:00 pm »

Welcome to the Board. Real helpful and friendly people here.
Sorry about your loss. It's so hard to lose your heart horse. Condolences.
So glad you chose to "go gaited' though.
I'm in mid-MI. I have MFTs. Where are you located?
Finding a well-fitting saddle can be a challenge for sure. People on here can give you lots of good advice. Good luck in your search.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

jujubee

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 04:00:43 pm »

'my favorites    desoto    crstridge      stonewall   they are costom made   not pricey   and are lightweight

im dont with trying 
i have a twh and a ssh  both small      i like the desoto best, but the stonewall is the lightest     the crestridge was too long and heavier
Pages: [1]   Go Up