Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Buster  (Read 1236 times)

ponymare

Re: Buster
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 08:33:48 am »

Such a great thread to read!  Excited for y'all. I was just recalling my first Christmas with Chief when I was 11. You have brought precious memories to mind!

Cashela

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »

Gee thanks Kysa for making me teary eyed  :P
Jenn-New Hampshire

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »

Wow- so glad your grand daughter likes him!

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »

What a relief this is.  Molly and Buster get along great, and Buster is fine in our cold.  Minus 13 actual temp this morning.  I have not seen him shiver or appear cold in any way.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »

BTW, like that shed!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 03:49:50 pm »

I have two of those, they are 10x24 and 3 horses easily fit inside.  I have two paddocks, with an automatic heated waterer along he fenceline serving both paddocks.  I can hardly believe I have such a great setup.  I did have to wait about 35 years to get this great setup.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

ponymare

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 04:06:37 pm »

I have shed envy!  If I have to wait 35 MORE years, I won't need any! :P

Are they double sided?  I have seen some with dents in them BEFORE the horses put any there!

NoRegrets

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 05:29:24 am »

What a nice story.  Such a good grandma you are.
Debbie

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 04:25:01 pm »

I that this needed another update.  He definitely had some teeth issues.  Retained cap, and the teeth on that side all uneven.  He should be happier now that they are fixed.  Every time Cadence comes it here, she gives lots of carrots.  He will definitely associate Cadence with good stuff!

Temps are minus fr a while, so no riding, not even in and indoor arena.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 04:12:18 pm »

So...farrier came today.  It was not windy, and I did cheat and caught him while he was eating his bowl of pellets.  Calm and nice in every way.  I had one brief panic as Aria, my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter crawled into the pen with Buster.  He just watched her, put his nose down for a patting.  He came from a place with little girls.
He wa great for the farrier, two trims in, and his feet look much better.  And he got a booster of the West Nile and Tetanus vaccine.  I thought he might be upset with me over the, but no.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 07:47:11 pm »

It sounds like he is settling in pretty well.

I really enjoy hearing about Buster, love that the grand daughter (yours) has NO fear  lol.

Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

ponymare

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 04:14:22 pm »

Did you have plans for your run in sheds?

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 04:22:42 pm »

I actually bought them already built, from a place in MO.  We got plans and checked out the price of materials.  It was only $100 more to buy them already built, so we did.  My husband said his time was worth more than $100.

http://www.portablelivestockshelters.com/home_page.html

ponymare

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 09:47:06 am »

Thanks!  Good to know!  :D

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 09:56:49 am »

And Kysa’s observations on personality and moving horses.  Fearful horses have the hardest time.

I have two horses that transitioned easily and swiftly.  Molly and Carmel, two horses that are low key social only horses.
Savanna, Jodi, and Belle all took longer, and they are social/fearful mix, which is also what I would assess Buster at.

The longest transition was Shay...fully two years.  She was a fearful/aloof mix, but she also had some negative human handling in her near background.  She was purchased at a meat auction, after having been at a PMU ranch for several years.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up