Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailering....in winter  (Read 237 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Trailering....in winter
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:06:47 am »

So, the cute little curly gelding in Tenessee is now ours as soon as the owner cashes the check.  We have a professional hauler that will take him as far as Kansas City, then I have to retrieve him from there.  The good news is I will get to visit Hope MO, and meet her new horse.  The bad news is it will be a bazillion degrees below freezing.  The horse has not been in a two horse straight load, but that is what I prefer to get him with.  My four horse has a weekender up front, and consequently is bigger, heavier, and just more trailer Than I need for one little horse.  But I also worry about the new guy in a two horse.  I can take t the divider and just make it basically a 6 foot by 6 foot box stall with a manger up front.  Should I do that?  Is it comfortable for horses to ride like that.  I kind of worry about him sticking his head out the back.  I can certainly tie him to the front.  And although I would not do this in my 4 horse slant, I think I should blanket him.  It truly will be near zero degrees F when I am transporting him.  The back end above the double doors is open.

I would welcome any thoughts and your REASONING!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

• View Profile
Re: Trailering....in winter
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:13:59 am »

if he's never been in a two horse just leave yourself some time to get him used to going on and off it, feed him in it - mine seem worried about a small 2 horse straight so he might need some time - hopefully not but he might.  A lot of those trailers are set up with their heads tied short or tight, you might make sure he can get his head down more so he doesn't feel trapped.  I wouldn't take out the divider - he might actually want to use it to lean a little bit.  And I wouldn't leave him loose... I worry about that regardless whether you know the horse or not but worry about them having their head down at ground level if you stop suddenly and I think they can really rock a trailer if they suddenly move too much.  And if it's open in the back I definitely wouldn't leave him loose,,, too much chance of one trying to escape or getting hung up.  Would definitely take a blanket BUT if it's going to blow around in the trailer you might need to make sure he's ok with that.  JMO
AND CONGRATULATIONS !!
NC

Little Freckles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:33:21 pm »

I take it there are no upper doors that can be put on the 2 horse trailer?  I would have some nice hay in the manger and tie him to the front- not too short, but not too long- leaving the divider in place for him to use to brace against.  If he refuses to load, you could take it out, but I think he will be ok if he isn't rushed.   If the vents and windows are closed, I would not think a blanket would blow around too much, esp if it has leg straps.  I agree, he will need it as this will be quite a climate change for him-I think I would use a light wt to mid wt blanket so he won't get too warm.  If there are open slats in the trailer, you might board them up before you leave to keep it as warm as possible-plexy glass would make it brighter inside. 
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

TN Trail Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »

No matter what the temperature, DO open the vents or crack windows.  Fresh air is vital to keeping the horse healthy for the trip.  If you're worried about it being cold, put a light blanket on him.  You don't want him to sweat under a blanket if it's cold out.  Keep hay in front of him -- the digestion of roughage is also what keeps a horse warm.

gallatingal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:23 am »

It sounds like you have come up with a good plan. That will shorten your haul considerably. I would absolutely blanket him. It has been sunny and in the 70's here in TN and the wild north is going to be a bit of a shock for him!
I will miss getting to meet you in person and  I am also sad that I do not get to spend time with that adorable Curlie! I am thinking there is going to have to be arrangements made to remedy that.  We are thinking of heading north during the hotter months next summer, of course we thought of that this year, but life had other ideas. We will keep working on that plan. So sorry to hear about Shay, I know how much she meant to you.
Life is short, buy the pony!

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 04:56:33 pm »

Even though it would be easier and cheaper to take the two horse, I am leaning to the 4 horse slant.  I can control the amount of air flow much better.

And I always feed hay while trailering.

vruste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:40:03 am »

Take the big trailer.  Even with a blanket he could get too much wind chill when you can't predict the weather too well.  With a blanket he could tend to overheat on his body if he's a nervous hauler, yet be chilled on his butt & legs; not a good combination for a positive trip.  Or you are welcome to borrow my 2 horse that has tops on the back doors and the sides are enclosed for winter...I think it's shorter inside than yours...has good tires all around, so it's an option if you'd like.  If you need a co-pilot let me know.  KC is a nice easy drive, but still a pretty good haul.

1950Racking

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »

Or wait a few days for the weather to warm up

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:16:53 pm »

Racking...not an option.  First, it won't get warmer until April.  Second, I have to get this horse home so I can turn around and drive my parents to the airport in Minneapolis, the opposite direction of Kansas City.

But yes,  think I will take the big trailer because I can control the airflow better, and the temperature.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:52:48 am by KysaSD »

Little Freckles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 11:30:56 pm »

I was really hoping you would use the bigger trailer.  No sense tossing more at the new horse than need be-if he is used to a slant load, it will go better and as you said, you can control the air flow better. 
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

riding the sun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:09 am »

Good idea to take the big trailer!  I was going to recommend that.  No blanket if the horse has never worn a blanket.  It sometimes can freak them out at first.  Safe travels!
My favorite trail is the next one
Pages: [1]   Go Up